Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 09:57 PM

2 posts, read 31,698 times

Advertisements

I am renting an illegal basement to someone at the moment and would like to legalize. The tenant and I agreed that he would pay half of the rent he originally paid so that he can save up to find a new place. He has not paid in two months now. I recently told him that he would have either have to vacate soon or live without a shower or a stove so that the basement may be legalized. He is now threatening to take me to court because I am giving him one month to move out.

Is there anything that he can do to me? He claims that the court will make me pay him for all the rent he paid because it was illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 10:28 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
He may claim that, but I bet he'd have a hell of a time trying to make that charge stick. Particularly if you demonstrated to the court that you were doing those upgrades.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:28 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
He won't get back any of the rent he already paid since it was paid voluntarily. However, he is not obligated to give you a penny from here on out since the apartment is illegal.

Right now, you're in a very bad situation. He can call the city on you and you will be fined a lot of money (a couple of thousand) for the illegal apartment.

Talk to him again. If he refuses to work with you on this, then start eviction proceedings.When you go to court and he starts screaming about it being an illegal apartment, tell the judge you're aware of that and you were trying to work with him by charging him 1/2 rent so he could save money to move. Also tell them you wanted him to move so you could legalize the apartment or remove the apartment altogether because you didn't want to have an illegal apartment.

You won't get any back rent from him. It's highly unlikely the court will report you to the city. You can sue for possession of the apartment (eviction of the tenant) and you will win.

Good luck.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:46 AM

278 posts, read 1,519,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puglies View Post
I am renting an illegal basement to someone at the moment and would like to legalize. The tenant and I agreed that he would pay half of the rent he originally paid so that he can save up to find a new place. He has not paid in two months now. I recently told him that he would have either have to vacate soon or live without a shower or a stove so that the basement may be legalized. He is now threatening to take me to court because I am giving him one month to move out.

Is there anything that he can do to me? He claims that the court will make me pay him for all the rent he paid because it was illegal.

Because this tenant knows the apartment is illegal he will take you through the ringer.

Serve him with a 30 days notice on the first of the month. This is the only way to evict a tenant from an illegal apartment. You can not ask him for money nor can you take him to court for rent owed.

I believe he will call the city just to make things difficult. If he does, be prepared to pay a fine. The fine amount varies.

Also, he can not sue you for rent money already paid. However, be prepared for a bumpy ride.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:05 AM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
why are you renting an illegal apartment is the first question. second, there are no winners here. if this proceeds to legal action, your tenant will be evicted, and you will issued violations and fined. its like going to the police and reporting that your marijuana was stolen. you were in the wrong, and so is your tenant. case closed.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-27-2010, 12:00 PM

6 posts, read 27,451 times
Hi Puglies,
All of the caveats about a legal fight and fines are true and inevitable. I just want to encourage you to not cut off your tenant's water and gas stove. It is a provocative act that might result in him doing really destructive things to your property. Hold off on the upgrades until the tenant has vacated and try to be philosophical about it; you've been receiving illegal income for awhile now and this is the price you are going to have to pay.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:45 PM

2 posts, read 31,698 times
Thanks for all your help. I will talk to him again and hopefully we can resolve this without anymore problems.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:06 PM

2 posts, read 50,801 times
with high foreclosure rates, and loss of jobs, you make it sound like people wouldn't live in a basement....

Old 09-16-2014, 07:38 AM

1 posts, read 9,714 times
File for eviction of these non paying scums of society. Most likely the judge will give them some time to get out, maximum 6 months. MAKE SURE AS SOON AS YOU AGREE TO A STIPULATION TO ALLOW THEM SOME TIME TO GET OUT, very next day YOU GO AND HIRE A NYC MARSHALL (THEY COST TOTAL $200 TO REMOVE THE SCUM OUT OF YOUR PLACE). IF YOU DON'T HIRE A MARSHALL TILL THE END OF THEIR GRANTED TERM THEY WILL ASK FOR MORE TIME BY FILING order to show cause.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:33 PM

3 posts, read 15,204 times
Scenario: Prior to marriage wife rented upstairs and illegal downstairs apartment. Downstairs girlfriend moved out and kid could no longer pay rent. His parents started threatening her/wife to keep kid there indefinitely. Upstairs tenants, always late is having their 4th child and can no longer afford to pay rent they are collaborating with basement and said take us to court. Hired attorney. How long can these people stay here after eviction notice is served. At this point we just want to sell house and move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: