Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2011, 04:50 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,683,943 times

Advertisements

You always hear about how Atlanta and DC are places for young college educated blacks, but what about NYC? How come NYC is never associated with black professionals?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 05:11 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,291,062 times
Probably because there aren't any areas in NYC that either have a high concentration of YBPs or areas that cater to that demographic like ATL or the DMV. I personally cannot name any area in NYC that directly compares to PG County, Howard County, Prince William County, Fulton County, or Dekalb County etc...in NYC you're either ballin or you're stuggling...especially if you're black and under 30.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:54 PM

5,522 posts, read 8,776,763 times
Who told you NYC is never "associated with black professionals" ? That's nonsense. There are plenty around in the suburbs and the city. Married ones may tend a bit more to the 'burbs like Freeport in LI, White Plains, Mt. Vernon or Greenburgh in Westchester, or Montclair, West Orange, or Teaneck in NJ. But the city itself is also full of them. You can't swing a dead cat w/o hitting tons of Buppies in Ft. Greene, Prospect Heights, Clinton Hill, and parts of Harlem and the Upper West Side, with smaller scatterings in almost every other nabe.

I think what you're missing is that there are no counties like the ones you named that are dominated by black professionals (young or otherwise). The NYC blk professional is also often involved heavily with professional networking groups -- MBAs, journalists, lawyers, engineers, accountants, writers, teachers, etc. forming a community of the like-minded rather than a geographic community -- or in philanthropic or church groups where many bonds are forged.

And I guess its ironic that while you say that NYC isn't "associated" with black professionals many of the ones that I know swear that as difficult (and expensive) as life in the Apple can be, well, at LEAST we don't have to put up with living in Georgia or Maryland!

Last edited by citylove101; 01-07-2011 at 07:03 PM..

Old 01-07-2011, 06:40 PM

Okay, I understand now.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:45 PM

68 posts, read 126,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post

And I guess its ironic that while you say that NYC isn't "associated" with black professionals many of the ones that I know swear that as difficult (and expensive) as life in the Apple can be, well, at LEAST we don't have to put up with living in Georgia or Maryland!
dude

have you ever been to dc. Do you have any idea how cosmopolitan that city is in every way? georgia is a ****ing dump. but DC.. damn thats the place. I live in ny now but i commuted from national airport every week when i was working in dc for 18 months. I met so many more educated white collar people. outside of manhattan all you have is poor, struggling blue collar people... for the most part. Not that thats bad but im calling it for what it is...

Old 01-07-2011, 07:01 PM

5,522 posts, read 8,776,763 times
I've been to DC often, as I have relatives there. It is a cool city, I will admit. But I dont think its quite as cosmopolitan as you because the place is dominated by people working only two areas--media or government. Yeah, there's smattering of everything else, but NYC has a lot more diverse types of employers where smart black folk can make their mark.

And as to the outer boroughs being so rough, you can say the same about DC. Go SE and you'll find a way different crowd than you will going NW. I think you can say that about different parts of almost any city.

But hey. You're right about Atlanta!

Old 01-07-2011, 07:12 PM

6 posts, read 8,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank7799 View Post
dude

have you ever been to dc. Do you have any idea how cosmopolitan that city is in every way? georgia is a ****ing dump. but DC.. damn thats the place. I live in ny now but i commuted from national airport every week when i was working in dc for 18 months. I met so many more educated white collar people. outside of manhattan all you have is poor, struggling blue collar people... for the most part. Not that thats bad but im calling it for what it is...
...but Manhattan has over 3X as many people as Washington DC so I'm not sure how you met "many more" white collar people in DC when Manhattan trumps DC in wealth and a white collar populace. Why can't you go to Manhattan if that's what you want? Hell, nowhere in the world compares to Manhattan and the general NYC metro (Manhattan + suburbs) when it comes wealth. Also, DC's poverty rate way higher than Manhattan and much higher than New York City in general.

In general, NYC area's white collar populace lives in Manhattan or the suburbs (Northern New Jersey/Long Island/Fairfield County, CT/Westchester). So perhaps you should stop looking for them in Bronx?

Last edited by vanderpump; 01-07-2011 at 07:22 PM..

Old 01-07-2011, 07:13 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,084,509 times
I really think there aren't any upper middle class black ghetto's in NY because people here feel freer to live wherever they want and it's usually in the same neighborhoods as everyone else.One of my Dr's is black and he lives on Beekman Place.His wife is high up in the NYC Heath and Hospitals.That says a lot .
There are a lot more black professionals in NYC than in Atlanta and DC combined.They just don't necessarily confine themselves to neighborhoods where everyone says "OH,that's where all the black professionals live."

Old 01-07-2011, 08:56 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,355,262 times
Since the OP said "young" I'll assume that means single and under 40. If that's the case, forget about your suburban bedroom communities. True, they have middle-upper class black professionals but it's more married folks with families than singles.

Check out Fort Greene, Clinton Hill, Bed Stuy (Brooklyn) and Harlem. They probably have the greatest concentration of what you're looking for.

Thrillseekers, Inc. (a black ski club) might be a good organization for you to join.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Since the OP said "young" I'll assume that means single and under 40. If that's the case, forget about your suburban bedroom communities. True, they have middle-upper class black professionals but it's more married folks with families than singles.

Check out Fort Greene, Clinton Hill, Bed Stuy (Brooklyn) and Harlem. They probably have the greatest concentration of what you're looking for.

Thrillseekers, Inc. (a black ski club) might be a good organization for you to join.
I'm far from being a professional. I'm just a student. I was just curious about the subject.

lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City