Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 10:52 AM

5,466 posts, read 5,725,445 times

Advertisements

The area around Bushwick ave and Myrtle is roughly averaging around 8-9% white, 40% black, and 50% Hispanic. If you keep going on Myrtle more East though like 1 block away it drops to only like ~10% black and it stays around 10% black all the way to Nassau county... Most of the Bushwick black population lives West of Bushwick ave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 11:18 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,165,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
What are the borders for Bushwick and Ridgewood?

I'm on Grove st alot..think that's Ridgewood.
Borders used to be around Knickerbocker Avenue.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:48 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,814,817 times
If you're living on Grove St. the border is St. Nicholas. So if you live between Cypress and St. nicholas you are still in Ridgewood but anywhere past that on Grove is considered Bushwick. The funny thing is from Linden on its anything after Wyckoff so its real weird the way it works. Linden, Gates, Palmetto etc. anything between St. Nicholas and Wyckoff is considered Ridgewood still. hope this helps @ supermario.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:30 PM

756 posts, read 2,281,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Look up the numbers yourself and not on wiki where the hipsters are continuously trying to exaggerate the numbers. Look on a legitimate website containing factual demographics the breakdown of Bushwick. you'll see that the numbers I posted are either right around the correct numbers or spot on. I have no reason to convince people of anything, I just speak the facts of this neighborhood.
If you would read my post for comprehension and not make up your own facts, you would see that the numbers I'm stating come directly from census data, not "Wiki."

Old 01-06-2011, 03:57 PM

Wow... all that time to come up with a response and that's what you have. "youre retarded I use census not wiki"...

Obviously I'm dealing with someone who isn't that smart so I'm gonna stop responding now but if you want to convince yourself or anyone on this thread that I'm wrong please post the entire demographics of Bushwick, Brooklyn. Not one census consisting of two or three blocks. I insist that you post up the latest numbers you can find of the entire neighborhood on here for everyone to see. If not then I'm done responding on this thread because I made my point already and you have indirectly with your responses proved me right every single time...

One more thing, just because you continue saying that I speak nonsense and no facts. Look up every statistic that I've posted on this brief thread. Look up the population of Bushwick. Look up the 2009 or 2010 demographics of Bushwick. Look up the latest demographics of Ridgewood. And then look up how big is the census tract of the area you posted... then you can tell me how I don't know the facts...

Old 01-06-2011, 05:22 PM

756 posts, read 2,281,198 times
Quote:
Wow... all that time to come up with a response and that's what you have. "youre retarded I use census not wiki"...

Obviously I'm dealing with someone who isn't that smart so I'm gonna stop responding now but if you want to convince yourself or anyone on this thread that I'm wrong please post the entire demographics of Bushwick, Brooklyn. Not one census consisting of two or three blocks. I insist that you post up the latest numbers you can find of the entire neighborhood on here for everyone to see. If not then I'm done responding on this thread because I made my point already and you have indirectly with your responses proved me right every single time...

One more thing, just because you continue saying that I speak nonsense and no facts. Look up every statistic that I've posted on this brief thread. Look up the population of Bushwick. Look up the 2009 or 2010 demographics of Bushwick. Look up the latest demographics of Ridgewood. And then look up how big is the census tract of the area you posted... then you can tell me how I don't know the facts...
For the millionth time, I am NOT claiming that that particular census tract is representative of Bushwick's white population. That census tract's white population, combined with Bushwick's other 20+ census tracts' white populations, averages out to somewhere in the range of 10-15 percent white. I've already posted the link to the census survey results where you, yourself, can do the same calculations I did to reach the same conclusion. You, however, didn't even bother to look at the map. I guess because it would require some math on your part.

You're arguing about nothing. Not once have I tried to claim that Bushwick is majority white or anywhere close to it, so we really just need to agree to disagree. It is mostly Hispanic and likely always will be. I actually quite like Bushwick and am very familiar with the neighborhood and its local business—white, black, Hispanic, Asian, whatever they are.

As far as claiming that I'm "not very smart," I probably have a few more years of education under my belt than you and maybe one or two more zeros on top of my paycheck too, buddy.

Anyway, now I'm done with this thread. You have no interest in actually looking at census data and extrapolating the results from it. Perhaps you don't know what a census is or how it works. I'm not really sure which it is, but either way, I have no dog in this fight.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:42 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,160,816 times
Quote:

Seems to me everyone is arguing in circles here with no good facts.
Anon1 is the one who supposedly cited the demographics of Bushwick without giving a source. When I asked, he can't come up with one yet continues to tell us to look them up. Why not give a link?

Old 01-06-2011, 05:44 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,160,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post
Really? So you're doubting cold, hard census data? Mapping America — Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

Census tract 551, population 3,992: white 45%, blacks 1%, hispanics 44%, Asians 8%, other 1%. Additionally, the adjacent census tracts (549 and 583) have white population numbers of 24% and 70% percent, respectively.
Census Tract 551 looks to be at the intersection of Myrtle and Forest Ave. which I believe has a Queens zipcode of 11385.
Are you still considering it to be Bushwick?

Are you sure you added all the tracts of Bushwick correctly to get your demographics results?

Old 01-06-2011, 06:13 PM

916 posts, read 2,248,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Census Tract 551 looks to be at the intersection of Myrtle and Forest Ave. which I believe has a Queens zipcode of 11385.
Are you still considering it to be Bushwick?

Are you sure you added all the tracts of Bushwick correctly to get your demographics results?
Yes....Census Tract 551 is actually 90% Ridgewood. The only
part that's considered Bushwick is the small triangle on the other
side of Cypress Ave. You can see the majority of the 45% whites
are on the Ridgewood side.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:39 PM

At henna, I mentioned how the actual demographics were posted on a bushwick thread but unfortunately I do not remember the thread nor the website. I urged people to look for themselves simply so that they could know that I have no need to lie. If I would be lying I would just ask you all to trust my word but I've said it more than once you are more than welcome to search I simply do not remember the site.

@ loratliff its people like you that are never truly happy. You find pleasure in scamming people and then once your scam has been brought out in the open you look for ways to deflect. Its funny how you talk about the census being too much math for me meanwhile I work at a high school as a 10th and 11th grade math teacher. Most likely, I have taken math classes that are way beyond your comprehension. If I choose not to look for whatever reason, then thats my choice and it has nothing to do with my intelligence level.

And while it may be true that you probably have one or two 0s more than me in your paycheck, i can guarantee you that what I am doing, is way more meaningful than anything you will ever do in your life. I am actually trying to help those in minority areas like Bushwick change for the better and not by erasing the current population and displacing the minorities cause lets be honest thats exactly what happens generally with gentrification. My goal is to help those already struggling with poverty and living in broken homes to help make a life for themselves and better their community the old fashioned way, by being productive members of society. You cant put a 0 on that... thats priceless. And although I never checked the census tract I do know for a fact that you're full of it and once again I offer anyone to check the statistics if they can find them. Census tracts can be manipulated very easily and just like Henna pointed the area that was supposedly mentioned may not have even included Bushwick because Myrtle is part of Ridgewood from Fresh Pond to Wyckoff Ave. I apologize for not putting up the link but I can guarantee that it is in one of the Bushwick threads and you could see for yourself that I am not the one with the false data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City