Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 08:34 PM

756 posts, read 2,278,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Bushwicks demographics from last year are 62% Hispanic 32% Black around 3% Asian all kinds and maybe 3% white.
This is wrong. Bushwick's white population is closer to 9-10 percent, with certain census tracts along Myrtle Avenue having white populations as high as 45 percent.

(And yes, I live in NYC—and know Bushwick quite well.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 08:39 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,807,642 times
Bring facts to the table not subjective points of view. At henna, loratliff and to the man who posted this thread I dont exactly remember which thread it was posted on but I had a similar conversation on a Bushwick thread because I thought the breakdown went something like 75% Hispanic 15% Black 5% Asian 5% White and then someone explained to me that there is alot more Black people in the area than that and then he posted up the link to the 2009-2010 demographics and I was pretty stunned. But to say Myrtle ave is 45% white in some parts in Bushwick is absolutely ridiculous and you should be fired from this thread if that is even possible.

Ridgewood is not even 45% white on Myrtle ave, the majority is Hispanic in Ridgewood now imagine Bushwick. People need to stop trying to sell this area because although I see some changes in the area mostly from 07-09 it is not nearly as much as people are saying and alot of Puerto Ricans and Dominicans continue to move into the area. This I know for a fact because I live on the border and actually know the area better than the real estate agent loratliff...

Old 01-06-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
. But to say Myrtle ave is 45% white in some parts in Bushwick is absolutely ridiculous and you should be fired from this thread if that is even possible.
Really? So you're doubting cold, hard census data? Mapping America — Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

Census tract 551, population 3,992: white 45%, blacks 1%, hispanics 44%, Asians 8%, other 1%. Additionally, the adjacent census tracts (549 and 583) have white population numbers of 24% and 70% percent, respectively.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:47 AM

Listen people may tell me that im discouraging the hipsters from moving on and blah blah blah and that Bushwick is the new hot spot but I'm not gonna lie to the people in order to promote an agenda. you want the facts... here are the facts:

From the late 70s on Bushwick has been known as one of the most dangerous hoods in NYC. Its infamy peaked in the 80s with East New York taking that title in Brooklyn from the 90s on. Early 2000s efforts were poured into Bushwick to help change the area to make it better. Though there have been some notable changes, Bushwick still remains an incredibly impoverished area with gang violence, and overall crime still at top ten levels in the city. (If you don't believe me check compstat I don't have the time to post up everything) Also contrary to what people say the area is still an overwhelming majority of Black and Hispanic with spots of other groups such as Asians and a decent sized white hipster group. Areas like Red Hook, Williamsburg, East Williamsburg, and Harlem have experienced far more gentrification than this neighborhood of Bushwick and many say that despite the efforts of many to sell this area, it will never become like Williamsburg or the rest of the areas I've mentioned before... those are the facts.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:51 AM

@ loratliff you do realize Myrtle runs all the way through to the whitest of areas. I need to see specifics and more than a one block ratio where theres maybe 10 apartments and theres 4 white families that'll tell me specifically what areas in Bushwick along myrtle ave are 45% white...

Old 01-06-2011, 08:56 AM

That area of 45% white 44% Hispanic 1% Black 8% asian... sounds more to me like Myrtle along woodhaven in the 80s moreso than Ridgewood/Bushwick. Again convenient manipulation of stats to make people believe that the area is changing more than it really is... thank you for pointing this out to us...

Old 01-06-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
That area of 45% white 44% Hispanic 1% Black 8% asian... sounds more to me like Myrtle along woodhaven in the 80s moreso than Ridgewood/Bushwick. Again convenient manipulation of stats to make people believe that the area is changing more than it really is... thank you for pointing this out to us...
I'm just reading the stats—you can go to the NY Times map and look for yourself.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:41 AM

The map that was in the link did not show Brooklyn interestingly enough. it showed Queens and closer to jersey. What my question to you is and im sure you know the answer...

Let's say for all intensive purposes that that section really is Bushwick... how big is the census tract... Those census tracts had to have been made up by real estate agents to sell areas because those things are so small and yet you can say "check out this tract where its 45% white meanwhile its covering a block radius...

Am i wrong in anything I've said? I spoke the truth when I said that that area has had changes in the last few years, but to go from maybe 5% to 45%? No way. You have to also understand that that area of Myrtle along Broadway has generally always been the best part of Bushwick/Bedstuy because of the nice houses along those avenues. It still isn't the best hood to be in and Bushwick overall hasn't really changed in demographics all that much since 1999. I'll give you that the percentage maybe went from 2% white to 6% white but it has slowed to a halt as of late because of the surge in crime and now real estate agents are desperately searching for ways to keep that label of "up and coming" still going at the expense of the people that live there.

They don't care if some random hipster walking home at 10pm at night gets brutally beaten down because they thought the area was changing for the better. All they care about is $$$ and its sickening to try and make a profit at the expense of others but it happens all the time. I've seen numerous yuppies/hipsters in wyckoff hospital and belleview and all those others with what appears to be broken arms, banged up faces and although you don't know for sure you can guess with 90% certainty what probably happened to them. it's unfortunate the world we live in but the reality is what it is. Locals maybe didn't care at first since the crime rate was going down, but now they're realizing that its also coinciding with a spike in rent and then they are offered money to leave their homes for the new class of people and they get tired of it... And its not the hipsters fault at all but rather those fantastic real estate agents that indiscreetly sell by saying that ohh because theres a few more whites now the area is getting better... how unfortunate for the poor souls that believe that...

Old 01-06-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
The map that was in the link did not show Brooklyn interestingly enough. it showed Queens and closer to jersey. What my question to you is and im sure you know the answer...

Let's say for all intensive purposes that that section really is Bushwick... how big is the census tract... Those census tracts had to have been made up by real estate agents to sell areas because those things are so small and yet you can say "check out this tract where its 45% white meanwhile its covering a block radius...
You could've zoomed in and scrolled over a little bit to make the map show Brooklyn. There wasn't a way to link to a specific part of the map.

You obviously don't know how the census works—tracts are not decided by real estate agents, or whatever other drivel you claim. Bushwick, being a fairly big neighborhood, is made up of about 30 census tracts. Most of these tracts have white populations around 5-10 percent (which is STILL higher than what you initially claimed). A few tracts, as I noted, have white populations that are much higher. The law of averages works in favor of larger numbers.

I'm not saying that Bushwick is 45 percent white—or even 25 percent white, but it is not preposterous to say that, at this point in time, it is likely 10-15 percent white, if not a bit more.

I don't disagree that a lot of unscrupulous real estate agents have passed Bushwick off as something it's not in order to make a quick buck, but the demographic of the neighborhood *is* changing.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:28 AM

10-15% non-hispanic white overall? Do you know what the population of Bushwick is? It is nearly 140,000 people. So you're basically telling me that you see about 15,000 white people walking around and living in the neighborhood of Bushwick?

Because no offense but if thats what you're saying then you have completely lost all credibility. White can also include hispanics and other races, you do know that right? You do know that European people and native born americans are not the only people in the world that are light-skinned?

In my neighborhood of Ridgewood the 2009 demographics said that the neighborhood was roughly 65% white 3% Black 10% Asian and 45% Hispanic...

Those numbers don't add up because a good number of the hispanics and asians that live in this neighborhood are classified also as WHITE. The same rules apply for any neighborhood and you once again helped along my point by telling me that a neighborhood with a radius of approximately 2 miles has 30 census tracts. Thank you for continuing to provide this information that is only confirming what I am stating.

Look up the numbers yourself and not on wiki where the hipsters are continuously trying to exaggerate the numbers. Look on a legitimate website containing factual demographics the breakdown of Bushwick. you'll see that the numbers I posted are either right around the correct numbers or spot on. I have no reason to convince people of anything, I just speak the facts of this neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City