Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 10:08 AM

26 posts, read 85,487 times

Advertisements

Hey guys! I know this is a typical question, but if you could help me in any way, I'd gladly appreciate it.

With 8 months left, the girlfriend and I are starting to plan our move to Brooklyn.

We've visited numerous times, and I have always lived close to NYC. So I'm pretty familiar with the city aspect of things.

When I asked one of my friends (from Brooklyn) where to move, she recommended Williamsburg/Park Slope area. When we visited it, we did fall in love.

We are looking to rent based on the following aspects:

-Range: $1200-1500 per month
-Space: 1 bedroom (pref), would take 2 (sky-rise pref)
-Location: open to any, but would like to be close to Manhattan - due to work location for me.
-Area: somewhere safe and has somewhere that somewhat caters to the young crowd (24 year old - meaning i dont wanna live in an old people community)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 05:15 PM

650 posts, read 2,518,227 times
price range way too low for the areas you mentioned, would be ok for a studio in Park Slope.

I suggest Bay Ridge, commute will be longer as its further south but its safe and along the lines of what you may be seeking. Can get a large/nice 1BR within your range.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:36 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,308,274 times
Goto askathug.com and see his response on new folks moving to Brooklyn

Old 11-05-2010, 07:41 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,325,718 times
You might want to consider the Kensington neighborhood. It's basically two neighborhoods to the south of Park Slope. It isn't as nice but you'll be only minutes away.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:40 PM

15 posts, read 97,457 times
Hello HandleX...............Im in that same price range and can tell you you wont find anything for a couple in your desired areas.Kensington(as mentioned by previous poster)could work, as well as ditmas park.The q train in Ditmas will get you into the city and other parts of brooklyn fast.
Bay Ridge would fit your range but doesnt fit any of your other reqirements.I lived in Bay Ridge for about 5 years and although it has great things about it i.e. resturaunts,waterfront with pramanade(beautiful view)and very affordable rents..... vibewise its not parkslope or williamsburg.Not as progressive.Much more family oriented and much more conservative.There are alot of bars but the vibe is much much different from that of the nabes you mentioned.
So in your range with your requirements I would deffinately examine your priorities.
Close to the city either very expensive or youll be a gentrifier.
In your price range you might end up with an awesome space with a 45min-hour train ride depending on the time of day into the city.
Ex.A friend of mine pays 2300 for a one and a half bedroom on a floor of a brownstone in carol gardens.Another friend of mine pays 1500 for the same setup in a limestone(similar layout and vibe as that of a brownstone)in bayridge.Its all about what sacrifice your willing to make.You mentioned park slope....a friend of mine just moved into a one bedroom at a steal of 1500.so it can be done.but her place is barely big enough for her.And she does not even have alot of stuff.Its more like a BIG front livingroom divided into two rooms.
Hey,check out sunset park between park slope and bay ridge.Your off the r line and you have access to d and n line wich are express.if your close enough to the 36 st stop youll be in downtown brooklyn in 10 mins max or in manhattan in 20-30 max.If you look at sunset you can find a beautifull brownstone apt for around 1400-1600.cons?noisy.but the brownstone blocks arent as loud as some of the others.GOODLUCK!

Old 11-11-2010, 08:40 PM

149 posts, read 371,861 times
check Brooklyn Heights or Dumbo, Vinegar Hill
Brooklyn Heights is expensive but a 15-20 minutes commute (depending where you will go in Manhattan) I love the Heights

Old 11-11-2010, 08:55 PM

15 posts, read 97,457 times
In Brooklyn Heights your looking at a decent size studio for at least 1600 or so.I really doubt that would work for you.It is nice though!

Old 11-11-2010, 10:35 PM

25 posts, read 103,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandleX View Post
Hey guys! I know this is a typical question, but if you could help me in any way, I'd gladly appreciate it.

With 8 months left, the girlfriend and I are starting to plan our move to Brooklyn.

We've visited numerous times, and I have always lived close to NYC. So I'm pretty familiar with the city aspect of things.

When I asked one of my friends (from Brooklyn) where to move, she recommended Williamsburg/Park Slope area. When we visited it, we did fall in love.

We are looking to rent based on the following aspects:

-Range: $1200-1500 per month
-Space: 1 bedroom (pref), would take 2 (sky-rise pref)
-Location: open to any, but would like to be close to Manhattan - due to work location for me.
-Area: somewhere safe and has somewhere that somewhat caters to the young crowd (24 year old - meaning i dont wanna live in an old people community)

Im interested in finding out how things work out for you, im in the same exact situation as far as timeline and location, i have a little bit of a higher budget like $1750 -2000 a month but i have other headaches like 2 chihuahuas and a cat, im self employed with taxes showing between personal and business about 70k income... You might ask "Who cares why are you telling me this?" Well since we have so much in common i thought id hijack your thread a bit and see if anyone thinks i can find something easily with my conditions? moving from florida...

Thanks sorry to intrude and good lucK!

Old 11-12-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pureistheword View Post
price range way too low for the areas you mentioned, would be ok for a studio in Park Slope.

I suggest Bay Ridge, commute will be longer as its further south but its safe and along the lines of what you may be seeking. Can get a large/nice 1BR within your range.

i dont know why you say "price range is way too low". i have been checking on craigslist for the past 2 months and there are MANY options in that price range in park slope and surrounding areas.

I am willing to go up to 2200$ a month, but since its a rental - i always try to keep it at a low if possible.

However, even though i see many rentals at that price - they come and go really quickly. it doesnt seem hard to find what i am looking for if i keep researching as much as i have been doing.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyntookit View Post
Hello HandleX...............Im in that same price range and can tell you you wont find anything for a couple in your desired areas.Kensington(as mentioned by previous poster)could work, as well as ditmas park.The q train in Ditmas will get you into the city and other parts of brooklyn fast.
Bay Ridge would fit your range but doesnt fit any of your other reqirements.I lived in Bay Ridge for about 5 years and although it has great things about it i.e. resturaunts,waterfront with pramanade(beautiful view)and very affordable rents..... vibewise its not parkslope or williamsburg.Not as progressive.Much more family oriented and much more conservative.There are alot of bars but the vibe is much much different from that of the nabes you mentioned.
So in your range with your requirements I would deffinately examine your priorities.
Close to the city either very expensive or youll be a gentrifier.
In your price range you might end up with an awesome space with a 45min-hour train ride depending on the time of day into the city.
Ex.A friend of mine pays 2300 for a one and a half bedroom on a floor of a brownstone in carol gardens.Another friend of mine pays 1500 for the same setup in a limestone(similar layout and vibe as that of a brownstone)in bayridge.Its all about what sacrifice your willing to make.You mentioned park slope....a friend of mine just moved into a one bedroom at a steal of 1500.so it can be done.but her place is barely big enough for her.And she does not even have alot of stuff.Its more like a BIG front livingroom divided into two rooms.
Hey,check out sunset park between park slope and bay ridge.Your off the r line and you have access to d and n line wich are express.if your close enough to the 36 st stop youll be in downtown brooklyn in 10 mins max or in manhattan in 20-30 max.If you look at sunset you can find a beautifull brownstone apt for around 1400-1600.cons?noisy.but the brownstone blocks arent as loud as some of the others.GOODLUCK!

thanks a lot man. this was VERY helpful. i will probably have some questions you in a bit, ill shoot you a pm if that is okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City