Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2011, 12:12 PM

446 posts, read 996,814 times

Advertisements

I've been in the Hamilton Heights (Broadway & 141 area) for a little over a month now. It's what I can afford at the moment, so I had to make do with this. I am no stranger to ethnic neighborhoods- I lived in a mostly Mexican neighborhood in Los Angeles, and I am used to the "any excuse to party"-type neighbors who blast music on the weekends...

... but last night was RIDICULOUS and unlike anything I've ever experienced. A party at the front of my building started pumping music at midnight, and didn't stop until 6:15am. Even after the party was "officially" over, people were still yelling until 8am and pumping bass from their cars. I didn't get one wink of sleep. Partying until 2am is annoying but something I am ready to tolerate in the hood. Partying past 6am after the sun has come up is a whole other story. I was ready to commit violence last night, I was so infuriated. I'm not sure which is worse- laying there and listening to that garbage, or pumping up the A/C, fans, etc and only hearing a repetitive bass line for hours on end. If this is going to be a weekly thing, I'm OUT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 12:41 PM

916 posts, read 2,245,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecbee View Post
I've been in the Hamilton Heights (Broadway & 141 area) for a little over a month now. It's what I can afford at the moment, so I had to make do with this. I am no stranger to ethnic neighborhoods- I lived in a mostly Mexican neighborhood in Los Angeles, and I am used to the "any excuse to party"-type neighbors who blast music on the weekends...

... but last night was RIDICULOUS and unlike anything I've ever experienced. A party at the front of my building started pumping music at midnight, and didn't stop until 6:15am. Even after the party was "officially" over, people were still yelling until 8am and pumping bass from their cars. I didn't get one wink of sleep. Partying until 2am is annoying but something I am ready to tolerate in the hood. Partying past 6am after the sun has come up is a whole other story. I was ready to commit violence last night, I was so infuriated. I'm not sure which is worse- laying there and listening to that garbage, or pumping up the A/C, fans, etc and only hearing a repetitive bass line for hours on end. If this is going to be a weekly thing, I'm OUT.
Maybe you need to go buy a box of polyurethane ear plugs from your
local Pharmacy for now. It's very cheap like $5-6 for a whole box, and you have
your peace and quiet back in your life. I usually wear them during 4th of July.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:39 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,289 times
Quote:

I live near you (142nd and Amsterdam) and I didn't hear anything last night, but I definitely know what you're talking about. I've lived here for a year and a half and it gets very loud in the summer. Eventually you get used to it...but still, if you're on the sidewalk and I'm on the 6th floor, I shouldn't be hearing your voice.
I think that ice cream truck that comes around and blasts that annoying music until all hours of the night is the worst thing. When I hear it, I laugh to keep from going crazy!! And who buys ice cream from a truck at 1am?

Old 06-19-2011, 04:15 PM

446 posts, read 996,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
I live near you (142nd and Amsterdam) and I didn't hear anything last night, but I definitely know what you're talking about. I've lived here for a year and a half and it gets very loud in the summer. Eventually you get used to it...but still, if you're on the sidewalk and I'm on the 6th floor, I shouldn't be hearing your voice.
I think that ice cream truck that comes around and blasts that annoying music until all hours of the night is the worst thing. When I hear it, I laugh to keep from going crazy!! And who buys ice cream from a truck at 1am?
Funny, I am also on the 6th floor and I'm not even facing the street. I can't imagine how awful it must've been for the people on the ground floor whose windows they were standing RIGHT IN FRONT OF.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:32 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,545,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
Ice cream truck selling heroin?

Old 06-19-2011, 10:37 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Ice cream truck selling heroin?
My roommate and I have our money on it being some kind of weed operation.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,195 times
There are old row houses on west 47th street between 10th and 11th that have 15 or 20 illegal mexicans living in each 1 bedroom apt. They love to party at all hours of the night with loud music. I have called 311 numerous times but have had no response from the police. 311 is worthless.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:29 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,652,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudmusic View Post
There are old row houses on west 47th street between 10th and 11th that have 15 or 20 illegal mexicans living in each 1 bedroom apt. They love to party at all hours of the night with loud music. I have called 311 numerous times but have had no response from the police. 311 is worthless.
Call Homeland Security and tell them there may be terrorist living there.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,129 times
whath can you do with nebers or haw to stop them from weekly caling to 311 .eb inproper garbige ,noise ..kids plaing ...dogs barking ...crosing street and all kind of tings to talk with someone .and stop waisting taxpeyers money.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:26 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,920,525 times
Quote:

Instead of calling 311, you should have called your local police department. I don't believe you can legally have a party in a public street. Also, music has to be kept at a certain decimel before it becomes a nuisance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City