Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 02:56 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,384,015 times

Advertisements

You must not live in NYC Thehouse..because people aren't "enjoying the warm weather and feeling merry" when they are up at 2 am playing De La Soul at 140 decibels and cracking the plaster on your walls, or when they are watching Jurassic Park like they are in the movietheater, or have their kids skateboarding on the woodfloors over your head, or playing the drums at midnight every night, or smoking up the building with weed/cigarettes that also fills your apt, or have a dog that barks 24/7, and on and on and on...

If you want to be merry and feel good...that's great...but none of the above consitute that nor does it/should it be at everyone else's feeling good and merriness expense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 03:09 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,594,323 times
311 is an absurd waste of money in my opinion. It has never helped me once.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:55 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,502,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
You must not live in NYC Thehouse..because people aren't "enjoying the warm weather and feeling merry" when they are up at 2 am playing De La Soul at 140 decibels and cracking the plaster on your walls, or when they are watching Jurassic Park like they are in the movietheater, or have their kids skateboarding on the woodfloors over your head, or playing the drums at midnight every night, or smoking up the building with weed/cigarettes that also fills your apt, or have a dog that barks 24/7, and on and on and on...

If you want to be merry and feel good...that's great...but none of the above consitute that nor does it/should it be at everyone else's feeling good and merriness expense.
So true!! It's just lack of consideration, plain and simple. I would never in a million years behave that way. Shoot, I feel bad when I drop something on the floor, I always feel that it startles my downstairs neighbor, who is also a friend of mine.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
You have to wonder what runs through peoples minds when they do stuff like this. You live in an apartment, it is 11pm, most people are sleeping.....I can't understand what would make someone pump the surround sound at that time..... they are either just plain dumb or most probably don't care, which isn't nice or considerate.

I think all apartment buildings on the face of the Earth should not allow any surround system at all.
I know! I couldn't believe it, the nerve of some people.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:53 PM

18,478 posts, read 31,661,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I know! I couldn't believe it, the nerve of some people.
Right !!!,

I couldn't imagine coming home from "anywhere" on a Saturday night at midnight and pumping the stereo, it is wrong, I know it is wrong, I am an adult, I know better, you just do not do things like that in an apartment building.
It isn't right, nice, or fair to the other tenants.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Right !!!,

I couldn't imagine coming home from "anywhere" on a Saturday night at midnight and pumping the stereo, it is wrong, I know it is wrong, I am an adult, I know better, you just do not do things like that in an apartment building.
It isn't right, nice, or fair to the other tenants.
No, but people really don't care! I mean, even after I wrote them a nice note explaining that I could hear the stereo very loudly, they just chose to not acknowledge it and keep on doing it. I mean, I can understand if someone is so clueless that MAYBE they didn't realize that they were disturbing the peace, but once it's pointed out to you, at least make an effort to stop.

They even tried to complain to my landlord and say that I was stomping on the floor to retaliate (which I wasn't, maybe it was just be walking or dropping something).

It's funny because they have been gone for almost 4 years and I have yet to hear any noises coming out of my now downstairs neighbor's apartment. She is so quiet and considerate. Amazing the difference in people.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:03 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,548,405 times
After seeing this post, I see so many like minded people with same complaint? Is there something we can do to sove this issue. I mean the cops don't anything. I used to wokr for 311 when I was in college and trust me the bulk of complaints we got were for 311. many times the complaints that were forwards to precincts were closed immediately as soon as they were created. You can clearly see the difference in neighborhoods. Riverdale doesn;t have much issue with noise complaints and if there is an issue, the police respond. In Kingsbridge, its a different story. Why is that? Isn't a corrupt practice, I mean how come the richer area gets better treatment? How do I bring this issue up to the media's attention? There is a real discrepancy

Old 06-14-2011, 09:56 PM

3 posts, read 12,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post

I agree with you. If you want to feel good & merry, are antisocial & can't live with others, buy a ****ing house. DO NOT Live with other people.

Unfortunately this culture is me - me - me 24 hours a day, cell phones, tv, etc.

Morals have really broken down. Just like inflation, it's never going to go back to the way it was. It's just going to keep getting worse.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:29 PM

217 posts, read 554,416 times
This thread really is a great one to vent on. I'm in the born and raised NYer category and never remember it being as bad as it is nowadays (I've lived several of the boroughs).

Some of my favorites: Surround Sound after midnight (you really don't think people are sleeping?), The cool motorcycle guys who rev so loud coming down the block they wake you up even if you are in the deepest sleep (just a flat out ahole move), My lovely neighbor who wears heels all day and night on the wooden floor. I love you Spanish peeps, but you guys just talk way to loud when outside (you realize the people are in front of you right? If I can hear you on the 4th floor, you're loud). One more thing not noise related that's been killing me lately is dudes peeing anywhere they feel (I've easily seen it a dozen times in the last few months). I'm sorry man I'm a guy and I've honestly never done that. The sad part is you (the normal logical thinking human) can't win against ignorant people, nothing bothers them.

This economy I think is also causing more people to live together which increases the odds of rude, annoying people being around more often. I remember when there were 2 or 3 people living in all the apts in my bldg, now I see way more people coming in and and living with the original tenants. NYC is def getting worse in every way possible (quality of life, quality of people, roads are laughable, traffic all day/night).

Sorry for the rant, but I'm glad (not really) others feels what me and the wife feel on a daily basis.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:34 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,619,609 times
I used to live in a building where my downstairs neighbors would pump up the volume four or five nights a week. Talking to them had about the same effect as talking to a brick wall...so I wound up having to take matters into my own hands. Or feet, as it turned out. Five or ten minutes of jumping up and down on the floor got the message across. Those neighbors didn't like me very much after that, but let's just say I didn't care how they felt. They weren't considerate on their own, so they had to have some consideration forced down their throats. After that, there was an unofficial truce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City