Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2010, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 4,937 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I know the "is this area safe?" questions get old, annoying, etc. but I'm finding it difficult to get an honest answer regarding Prospect Lefferts Garden, specifically the 200 block of Hawthorne st (closest to Hawthorne and Rodgers). I'm considering a move here and just wanted to know if I would deal with anything out of the ordinary as a younger female and any perks of the neighborhood itself (I'm already sold on all of the caribbean joints being a vegetarian and love prospect park). I know everyone's comfort level is different and for reference purposes, I've lived in Philadelphia (neighborhoods like Kensington and Fishtown if anyone's familiar) and Washington Heights (159th and st nicholas). Im okay with an area not being spotless and I get the mind your business approach. Any input would be helpful and much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 11:29 PM

281 posts, read 1,237,471 times
this should help with some of your questions.

Hawthorne Street : Prospect Lefferts, Brooklyn

Old 10-08-2010, 08:27 PM

3 posts, read 15,070 times
just posted this at similar forum:

household demographic-
me: white/latino mixed
my husband: white
income: $78,000 (husband is only one working at the moment)
education: both b.a. degrees
ages: 28 and 29
languages: english and spanish
when we moved to lefferts gardens: august 2010
why did we move to lefferts gardens: affordability

- we love it here and do not feel "unsafe." can't beat the pricing. commuting to and from the city isn't bad at all. we walk our dog in the neighborhood every day and people say hello and are always friendly. the area definitely needs more amenities though, i.e. restaurants and coffee shops comfortable to actually dine in rather than just order take-out from (we're on the parkside ave side, not lincoln). also, we need more trash cans... trash builds up easily on the streets, which is quite unattractive. besides that, we are very happy here and really appreciate the accessibility to prospect park. we plan on staying here for the next two years and then making the big move to manhattan -- income/career opportunities permitting.

hope this is helpful.

Last edited by parkside_ave; 10-08-2010 at 08:58 PM..

Old 11-15-2010, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 4,655 times
Hi,

I too am considering looking at a place (to buy) in Prospect Lefferts Gardens (right near the Park.) My husband and I are caucasian professionals with an infant son. I am concerned about crime, but considering that someone was mugged in North Park Slope a few weeks ago, I think I have a healthy understanding that nowhere is perfectly safe. Still, I read something about "gunshots" in PLG on one of the message boards ... can anyone speak to that?

Also, what is the school situation? Are there charter schools in the area, and if so, what is their reputation and accessibility? I'd be interested to hear anything else any residents have to say about the area.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: