Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 06:16 PM

224 posts, read 1,085,320 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm a 23 year old Irish-American male born and raised in upper manhattan(inwood), I am considering moving to this part of the Bronx cuz I can get a good deal with one of my uncle's friends, but I have a question about this area like Wallace ave, Brady ave, Holland and Cruger? How is this area? I'm a born and bred New Yorker so i know all my street smarts, but i don't wanna live in a ghetto, Inwood isn't the nicest neighborhood either, but i wouldn't mind something like that as long as its reasonable. I know theres alot of Italians in the area, is there some Irish or anything else then Italians around? How is the transportation one of the reasons I am moving here is cuz I just got a security job in Jacobi. Is there any trains/buses around to get to Jacobi? I lived in the northeast Bronx a few yrs ago in Kingsbridge but I have no clue about this area, so details would be nice, like is there pizza parlors in walking distance? drug stores, grocery, chinese etc. are there any stores at all I could walk to from a building on the intersection of Brady and Wallace? Also how are the buildings in this are? All I'm asking for is if they are clean and have an elevator, nothing special. Thnx I apreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 06:19 PM

343 posts, read 1,026,202 times
Wallace, Holland and Cruger are GHETTO above Allerton Avenue, so stay below that.

You have tons of amenities, and the armenians and old school italians and irish keep the neighborhood in check so much the gangs think twice before coming over there with drama..

Great Choice!!

Buildings are Pre war.. mostly 5 story walk ups but some elevator. You can literally walk out your door and not have to go too far for anything.

2/5 Subway at Pelham Parkway and all the amenities you could ever want on white plains road including supermarkets 5 banks and green grocers, and typical middle class stores (game stop, foot locker, ashley stewart, VIM, etc..)

Bx12 Bus down fordham, and Metro North not too far away, plus you have little italy down the street

BxM11 Express to Midtown

Old 07-26-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoros View Post
Wallace, Holland and Cruger are GHETTO above Allerton Avenue, so stay below that.

You have tons of amenities, and the armenians and old school italians and irish keep the neighborhood in check so much the gangs think twice before coming over there with drama..

Great Choice!!

2/5 Subway at Pelham Parkway and all the amenities you could ever want on white plains road including supermarkets 5 banks and green grocers, and typical middle class stores (game stop, foot locker, ashley stewart, VIM, etc..)

Bx12 Bus down fordham, and Metro North not too far away, plus you have little italy down the street
Thanks alot. That is the type of neighborhood I want to live in, 'Old school New York' haha even though I'm young, my father and grandfather have told me how much better it is in those types of neighborhoods. Inwood used to be like that, at least the part I lived in but now its getting the wannabe 'hipster' crowd on my block and every other block is Dominican land and drug zones. So Pelhams a good 'hood then? What blocks do you recomend that are both nice and near the trains?

Old 07-26-2010, 06:26 PM

also what is the 'main street' there, like the street that his the VIM, Foot locker, game stop etc?

Old 07-26-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolchris4000b View Post
Thanks alot. That is the type of neighborhood I want to live in, 'Old school New York' haha even though I'm young, my father and grandfather have told me how much better it is in those types of neighborhoods. Inwood used to be like that, at least the part I lived in but now its getting the wannabe 'hipster' crowd on my block and every other block is Dominican land and drug zones. So Pelhams a good 'hood then? What blocks do you recomend that are both nice and near the trains?
The whole area is nice. THe only patchy spot it the Pelham Parkway Houses at Wallace and PPN. But even the Projects are calm, the italians kept those in the family too, lol.

I would check out Bronx Park East as your western border To Williamsbridge/Eastchester Road. The further east you go, the better it gets. If you go too far east, you only have the 5 train at Pelham Parkway. The closer you are to WP road, you have the 2 train and all the amenities. I would check out Holland, Wallace and Cruger, on BOTH sides of Pelham Parkway. Most apartments are concentrated between BPE and Cruger. Your norther border should be Allerton. SOuthern border the Bronx Park East Trainstation. White Plains Road from The BPE trainstation to the Allerton Trainstation has nothing BUT amenities, not a vacant storefront

Don't color outside those lines, lol.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
The whole area is nice. THe only patchy spot it the Pelham Parkway Houses at Wallace and PPN. But even the Projects are calm, the italians kept those in the family too, lol.

I would check out Bronx Park East as your western border To Williamsbridge/Eastchester Road. The further east you go, the better it gets. If you go too far east, you only have the 5 train at Pelham Parkway. The closer you are to WP road, you have the 2 train and all the amenities. I would check out Holland, Wallace and Cruger, on BOTH sides of Pelham Parkway. Most apartments are concentrated between BPE and Cruger. Your norther border should be Allerton. SOuthern border the Bronx Park East Trainstation. White Plains Road from The BPE trainstation to the Allerton Trainstation has nothing BUT amenities, not a vacant storefront

Don't color outside those lines, lol.
Great info, thnx alot.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:44 PM

684 posts, read 1,821,249 times
Actually..north toward buhre ave is great. My sister lives up there...and its a great neighborhood. She works on 34th street and has to come home at 1am at times and she said shes very comfortable. Buhre is the 2nd to last stop on the 6 train

Old 07-26-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolchris4000b View Post
Great info, thnx alot.
Your Granddad is a smart man, I wish more people on here would check out the area, instead of ending up in hellholes only to complain 5 months later.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKid84NYC View Post
Actually..north toward buhre ave is great. My sister lives up there...and its a great neighborhood. She works on 34th street and has to come home at 1am at times and she said shes very comfortable. Buhre is the 2nd to last stop on the 6 train
Bhure Ave is nice up there as well, but its further East Southeast from where the OP was talking about.

That neighborhood is Pelham Bay.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Your Granddad is a smart man, I wish more people on here would check out the area, instead of ending up in hellholes only to complain 5 months later.
Yeah he knows his stuff about NY. Irish-American born in the Bronx (St Anns Ave) in 1934 and raised in Inwood in Manhattan, he was a long shoreman at the piers downtown for almost 50 yrs he recently retired, he was a pretty tough dude lol. But he still lives in Inwood, he's not going to move because like he says hes 76 and hes just staying there lol. He told me Pelham is a great area alot of Italians, Albanians and Irish he said and they keep the neighborhood very safe and clean. I like White Plains Road a lot my friend who is Dominican lives there and he told me he was trying to move because it wasn't a great area, but he lives near Van Nest, I don't know if this is a different part of White Plains, probably right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City