Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 06:54 PM

343 posts, read 1,025,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolchris4000b View Post
Yeah he knows his stuff about NY. Irish-American born in the Bronx (St Anns Ave) in 1934 and raised in Inwood in Manhattan, he was a long shoreman at the piers downtown for almost 50 yrs he recently retired, he was a pretty tough dude lol. But he still lives in Inwood, he's not going to move because like he says hes 76 and hes just staying there lol. He told me Pelham is a great area alot of Italians, Albanians and Irish he said and they keep the neighborhood very safe and clean.
Pelham does have much much more of an italian presence. You should check that out too if you don't mind being on the 6

Middletown Road Station to Pelham Bay Station, along both sides of westchester avenue are cool.

Crosby Avenue has a great shopping strip and there are some spots on Jarvis.

They even have a tanning salon and a club that gets a little fist pump action too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 07:14 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
I live near Pelham Parkway N and Bronx Park East very near where you are thinking of. It's a great, affordable neighborhood and definitely not ghetto at all.It's an old school NYC working/middle class neighborhood. It is extremely diverse with still a healthy number of Jews and Italians left around from the time( 70's) when the neighborhood was like 90% Jewish and Italian.There is really everyone here.There is a very large Albanian presence.They started coming into the neighborhood almost 20 years ago and their numbers are still increasing.They own lots of the businesses on White Plains Road and Lydig Avenue and lots of the apartment buildings in the neighborhood.Pelham parkway has the largest number of Albanians in NYC.They look like Italians and their culture is very similar so it's sometimes hard to tell them apart except for their language which is very different.There have also been a lot of Asians moving in in the last 5 or 10 years and they now own a lot of stores and businesses in the area too.I'm an Irish American myself.

Transportation is great.We have the 2 and Express 5 along White Plains Road and the regular 5 just a few blocks away at morris park or Williamsbridge Rd. There is also an express bus to Manhattan,busses to various places in Westchester and many NYCT busses including the BX12 which is a selewct bus (limited stop) that runs along Pelham Parkway and Fordham Road from Inwood to Pelham bay park.It's the bus ( or the regular BX 12) that you would take to Jacobi but Jacobi is so close you might walk it in good weather.It's about 12 blocks from White Plains Rd to Jacobi.
White Plains Rd and Lydig are a major shopping area and there are lots of every kind of store and restaurant. Many good pizza places,Kosher butcher,Italian bakery,24 hr diners ,drug stores and delis,etc.Staples,walgreens,Cvs,natural food store...really lots of everything.

Williamsbridge Road,just a few blocks East is full of Italian restaurants,bakeries,butchers and other mom and pop places.They even have a pretty big Columbus Day parade.

Lots of the apartment buildings in the neighborhood are co ops including Brady Court which is right next to where you are thinking about.The whole neighborhood is also right next to Bronx Park which has the Zoo and The Botanical Garden.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoros View Post
Pelham does have much much more of an italian presence. You should check that out too if you don't mind being on the 6

Middletown Road Station to Pelham Bay Station, along both sides of westchester avenue are cool.

Crosby Avenue has a great shopping strip and there are some spots on Jarvis.

They even have a tanning salon and a club that gets a little fist pump action too
Pelham Bay does still have a large Italian presence but it's actually nowhere near as large as in the area on Williamsbridge Road between Pelham Parkway South and Morris Park Avenue.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:54 PM

224 posts, read 1,084,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I live near Pelham Parkway N and Bronx Park East very near where you are thinking of. It's a great, affordable neighborhood and definitely not ghetto at all.It's an old school NYC working/middle class neighborhood. It is extremely diverse with still a healthy number of Jews and Italians left around from the time( 70's) when the neighborhood was like 90% Jewish and Italian.There is really everyone here.There is a very large Albanian presence.They started coming into the neighborhood almost 20 years ago and their numbers are still increasing.They own lots of the businesses on White Plains Road and Lydig Avenue and lots of the apartment buildings in the neighborhood.Pelham parkway has the largest number of Albanians in NYC.They look like Italians and their culture is very similar so it's sometimes hard to tell them apart except for their language which is very different.There have also been a lot of Asians moving in in the last 5 or 10 years and they now own a lot of stores and businesses in the area too.I'm an Irish American myself.

Transportation is great.We have the 2 and Express 5 along White Plains Road and the regular 5 just a few blocks away at morris park or Williamsbridge Rd. There is also an express bus to Manhattan,busses to Thvarious places in Westchester and many NYCT busses including the BX12 which is a selewct bus (limited stop) that runs along Pelham Parkway and Fordham Road from Inwood to Pelham bay park.It's the bus ( or the regular BX 12) that you would take to Jacobi but Jacobi is so close you might walk it in good weather.It's about 12 blocks from White Plains Rd to Jacobi.
White Plains Rd and Lydig are a major shopping area and there are lots of every kind of store and restaurant. Many good pizza places,Kosher butcher,Italian bakery,24 hr diners ,drug stores and delis,etc.Staples,walgreens,Cvs,natural food store...really lots of everything.

Williamsbridge Road,just a few blocks East is full of Italian restaurants,bakeries,butchers and other mom and pop places.They even have a pretty big Columbus Day parade.

Lots of the apartment buildings in the neighborhood are co ops including Brady Court which is right next to where you are thinking about.The whole neighborhood is also right next to Bronx Park which has the Zoo and The Botanical Garden.
Thanks for all your help, I am very interested in Lydig/White Plains Rd. How are the buildings around there? I know its closer to the train.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:52 AM

Here is a link to an apartment complex that is kind of typical of the rental buildings area South of Pelham Parkway.I think this company owns a couple of buildings in the neighborhood and there is a photo gallery to give an idea.There are a lot of prewar garden apartment complexes with tudor kind of architecture and interior courtyards and they are in the process of being designated as an historic district.http://www.gsapp.org/Archive/HP/Pelham%20Parkway.pdf
There are also a lot of co ops and some 1950's buildings.Most of the buildings have elevators and are well maintained but there are a few "dogs " here and there that are a little run down.

The Presidential Bronx Apartments | Apartments in Bronx NY | NYC Apartments | Apartments near New York City

You also should check out the area North of Pelham Parkway,West of White Plains Rd and South of Waring Ave.

Last edited by bluedog2; 07-27-2010 at 04:06 AM..

Old 07-27-2010, 09:20 AM

224 posts, read 1,084,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Here is a link to an apartment complex that is kind of typical of the rental buildings area South of Pelham Parkway.I think this company owns a couple of buildings in the neighborhood and there is a photo gallery to give an idea.There are a lot of prewar garden apartment complexes with tudor kind of architecture and interior courtyards and they are in the process of being designated as an historic district.http://www.gsapp.org/Archive/HP/Pelham%20Parkway.pdf
There are also a lot of co ops and some 1950's buildings.Most of the buildings have elevators and are well maintained but there are a few "dogs " here and there that are a little run down.

The Presidential Bronx Apartments | Apartments in Bronx NY | NYC Apartments | Apartments near New York City

You also should check out the area North of Pelham Parkway,West of White Plains Rd and South of Waring Ave.
Wow I really like the Presidential Apartments. I was reading about them, seems like exactly what I was looking for, it's near the 2 train correct? You think any apartments would be available?

Old 07-27-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolchris4000b View Post
Wow I really like the Presidential Apartments. I was reading about them, seems like exactly what I was looking for, it's near the 2 train correct? You think any apartments would be available?
It's only 2 blocks from the 2 and 5 at Pelham Parkway and White Plains Road and only a few blocks from the local 5 train stop at Morris Park

They have an onsite rental office and there is a phone number you can call.Check Craig's list too.If you put "Pelham Parkway" into the search other apartments in the neighborhood will come up.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:04 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,299 times
Going to bump this thread since creating a new one just seems silly, there aren't exactly a lot of going ons in the neighborhood.

Am curious though, how are things in the neighborhood? (if any locals are still around) I'm strongly considering the coops around White Plains Road and the 2 Pelham Parkway stop from Bronx Park East over to the 5 Morris Park stop. There's a good chunk of inventory available, and having been up there, I don't mind the neighborhood. I see some interesting options like a 2bd Homepath property in Brady Court, and I find those coops quite beautiful, but I'd like more information.

Ideally, I'd like to know more about the coops (Devon Hall, Brady Court, etc.), a good place to look up their maint costs, as well as how locals feel about the area nowadays.

Area seems fine from an observer and I know the transit options fairly well. Commute is a bit long, but if I want to buy low, I don't think I really have an alternative. Key Food on Lydwig is convenient to me, Belmont has simple nightlife for Saturday nights out, City Island has good seafood, etc. Pelham Parkway seems like a nice place to live without many negatives outside of commute time.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:16 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Going to bump this thread since creating a new one just seems silly, there aren't exactly a lot of going ons in the neighborhood.

Am curious though, how are things in the neighborhood? (if any locals are still around) I'm strongly considering the coops around White Plains Road and the 2 Pelham Parkway stop from Bronx Park East over to the 5 Morris Park stop. There's a good chunk of inventory available, and having been up there, I don't mind the neighborhood. I see some interesting options like a 2bd Homepath property in Brady Court, and I find those coops quite beautiful, but I'd like more information.

Ideally, I'd like to know more about the coops (Devon Hall, Brady Court, etc.), a good place to look up their maint costs, as well as how locals feel about the area nowadays.

Area seems fine from an observer and I know the transit options fairly well. Commute is a bit long, but if I want to buy low, I don't think I really have an alternative. Key Food on Lydwig is convenient to me, Belmont has simple nightlife for Saturday nights out, City Island has good seafood, etc. Pelham Parkway seems like a nice place to live without many negatives outside of commute time.
Who told you that lie? Only people from certain parts of the Bronx and people who don't know what real seafood is would think that City Island has good seafood.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:28 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Who told you that lie? Only people from certain parts of the Bronx and people who don't know what real seafood is would think that City Island has good seafood.
Hey, I said good, not great! Haha. If I want real great quality I'll head up to New England. Good ol' Portland, Maine or the like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City