Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2010, 01:08 AM

4 posts, read 10,165 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning to relocate to NY in December and I have got work in Englewood Cliffs area, he is going to be based in the City on at the top end (eg 1-20) of Park Avenue.
We both want to live in Manhattan but would like a relatively easy commute. Having never been to NY before we aren't sure which area to go for. So far it looks like Midtown West or Washington Heights would both be possible areas. I have the luxury of walking to work at the moment which I know I am going to have to give up, but it would be nice not to have more than a 30 minute commute. Am I being totally unrealistic here?!
We are a relatively young couple with no children, like to eat out a lot, like a drink in a bar but also would like to be able to get to sleep during the week but can put up with noise at the weekend. A bit of greenery nearby would be nice as well!
If anyone has any suggestions that would be fab! thanks so much
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 09:34 AM

747 posts, read 2,758,950 times
Budget? Probably a big difference between midtown and WH. WH would make your commute to EC easier, and his commute a little longer. Vice versa for midtown.

Also not sure what you meant by 'top end' of Park Ave... what cross-streets (or what neighborhood) are you talking about?

Old 07-15-2010, 07:26 PM

His building is no 1 Park Avenue - sorry not got my head around street system there! does that help!

Old 07-16-2010, 04:01 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,303,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flossy girl View Post
His building is no 1 Park Avenue - sorry not got my head around street system there! does that help!
1 Park Av is around 32nd St.

Are you planning to commute to NJ by train or bus?

Old 07-18-2010, 11:01 PM

either or - which ever is easiest!

Old 07-20-2010, 02:49 PM

343 posts, read 1,025,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flossy girl View Post
either or - which ever is easiest!
Englewood Cliffs is more of a Bus Commute. You can get them from Port Authority Bus Terminal.

Look to live in Midtown West.

New Luxury Buildings to check out: The Olivia (33rd and 8th), Silver Towers 42nd and 11th. and a host of others on the west side 8th-11th Avenue. Your Husband will have quick crosstown access or even walk some days to his office, and you will be able to hop on the bus at port authority to englewood cliffs.

Silver Towers has a great new park open with sun chairs and its generally quiet at night.

Some of the buses at GWBT don't head to your part of NJ, they leave out of Port Authority so Midtown makes more sense.

Concentrate your search in Hells Kitchen 34th-59th btwn 8th and 10th avenues with special attention to 42nd and 10th.

9th avenue has TONS of bars and restaurants with 10th getting more established with more people moving up from Chelsea

Manhattan Plaza has a health club, a natural food store, food emporium, bakery, bodega,

Up Tenth Avenue you have: chinese, river bar which has live music sometimes.. a new pet store that just opened, irish pub, a steak house on the same block, PIO PIO a spanish spot is on the other side of the block, three liquor stores, dunkin donuts, 24hr delis, pony bar and bartini for drinks, and 44 and x is a great spot for dinner. theres a CVS on 42nd and 10th a Subway on 41st... I can go on and on.... Wash Heights has nowhere NEAR any of these amenities in a three block radius, not to mention a safety issue.

Also, you will have to pay the Dreaded Dual Tax... Taxes for Working in NJ and Taxes for living in NYC and NY State.. So, I think living in NJ should be a consideration as well... If your partner has a larger income, he will be better positioned to take the dual tax blow than you.

Last edited by TheBoros; 07-20-2010 at 03:09 PM..

Old 07-21-2010, 07:15 PM

thanks so much that is such helpful advice - my husband is going out to Ny in a few weeks time as part of his job induction so he is going to check everything out for us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City