Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2011, 04:09 PM

4 posts, read 7,124 times

Advertisements

I need advice…we live in lower Fairfield County in CT. My husband has been commuting from CT to the financial district in lower Manhattan for 6 years and he’s pretty tired of it by now. His company is moving to Jersey City in late 2012 and he cannot make the commute from CT to Jersey City so we need to (although I don't want to) move closer.

My questions are:
1. My son will be entering high school in Sept 2012 (my daughter will be off to college). Should we move to Manhattan and put him in a private school OR move to a New Jersey suburb with a reputable public school system (Our high school in CT is ranked 11th in the state)?
Some background: My son is athletic and plays football, basketball, and baseball. I believe there is only one private school in Manhattan that has a football program. My concern is moving him from a public school system in the suburbs to a private school system in a large city. I really don't want to move to Manhattan right now; however, my husband and I will probably move to Manhattan once my son graduates high school in 2016.

2. Which suburbs in NJ would you recommend that has a reputable public school system which is about a 30-35 minute commute to Jersey City?

3. Has anyone ever had to make this type of decision and how did it turn out for your family?

This is a very difficult decision for me. Any advice would be welcome!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 05:49 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,098,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onwardbound1 View Post
I need advice…we live in lower Fairfield County in CT. My husband has been commuting from CT to the financial district in lower Manhattan for 6 years and he’s pretty tired of it by now. His company is moving to Jersey City in late 2012 and he cannot make the commute from CT to Jersey City so we need to (although I don't want to) move closer.

My questions are:
1. My son will be entering high school in Sept 2012 (my daughter will be off to college). Should we move to Manhattan and put him in a private school OR move to a New Jersey suburb with a reputable public school system (Our high school in CT is ranked 11th in the state)?
Some background: My son is athletic and plays football, basketball, and baseball. I believe there is only one private school in Manhattan that has a football program. My concern is moving him from a public school system in the suburbs to a private school system in a large city. I really don't want to move to Manhattan right now; however, my husband and I will probably move to Manhattan once my son graduates high school in 2016.

2. Which suburbs in NJ would you recommend that has a reputable public school system which is about a 30-35 minute commute to Jersey City?

3. Has anyone ever had to make this type of decision and how did it turn out for your family?

This is a very difficult decision for me. Any advice would be welcome!!
Why do you feel that because you might live in Manhattan you have to limit your son to a Manhattan private school ? There are a number of very good private schools in The Bronx(Riverdale) that are more like Westchester/suburban private schools with campuses and offer full ranges of sports,etc.

They are:
Fieldston School: Welcome | Ethical Culture Fieldston School

Horace Mann School:Horace Mann School
Horace Mann consistently ranks as one of the best prep schools in the country:
"Rankings
Forbes Magazine ranks Horace Mann as the second best preparatory school in the country.[4] The Wall Street Journal ranks Horace Mann as the fourth best high school in the United States, as measured by student admission rates to exclusive colleges. Worth magazine ranked Horace Mann seventh out of all the nation's high schools based on the proportion of graduates attending Harvard, Yale and Princeton Universities.[5]"

Riverdale Country School:Browser Not Supported

All 3 schools are excellent and are filled with kids who live in Manhattan and take the subway or a bus to school.If you live anywhere on the West Side it's a pretty easy trip.

Last edited by bluedog2; 03-29-2011 at 06:20 PM..

Old 03-29-2011, 06:17 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,331,681 times
If you can get him into a NYC private high school and can afford it, I would go for it and just move now & move once.

Just looking at websites, it appears the following schools have football programs:

Xavier High School (Catholic, Greenwich Village neighborhood)
Riverdale Country School (Bronx)
Horace Mann (Bronx)
Fordham Prep (Bronx)

Old 03-29-2011, 06:55 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,820,409 times
Why move to Manhattan?

Why not an equivalent suburb in NJ?

If you have the income for college AND a Manhattan private high school, then I presume money isn't the first issue. In that case, there are a number of options in NJ.

The best commuting options would be in Essex county, Glen Ridge, Montclair, West Orange, Maplewood, South Orange, and others.

I know Maplewood has a good community supported public high school, though a bit liberal oriented. I believe Glen Ridge too has a good public school. All of the towns have excellent private schools. All a short commute to Jersey City as well as Manhattan.

Just a thought, if your husband's job is in and/or around Newport, then perhaps a conco/coop in Newport would be a consideration. Your son could then commute to a private school in Essex county, and hubby could, perhaps, walk to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: