Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2010, 07:21 PM

2 posts, read 4,618 times

Advertisements

My daughter, who recently became visually impaired, is moving with her husband and toddler to the NYC area in August. He will be working near Times Square. He has a car, but could sell it if he lives near the subway.
We are all unfamiliar with the area and are looking at a wide range of locations from Bay Ridge to Jackson Heights to the NJ suburbs for housing under $1500 (possibly $1600). They want 2 bedrooms, which I know makes it harder to find itn their price range.
She would like to walk to nearby shops and parks and likes the idea of a city neighborhood, but is not sure about getting around in a busy area. She will be taking classes in the fall to teach her more about those skills. She also likes the idea of quieter suburbs, but doesn't want to be too isolated. Currently, they live in a rental apt. complex in New England which has many services incorporated into the building and grounds. It's a bit dull and yuppie for her, but she can get around easily there. Any ideas and tips are welcome as we try to narrow the search between city vs. suburbs.

Last edited by aquabird; 07-13-2010 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 11:57 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,863,665 times
They can live in Historic Downtown Section of Jersey City which has a 24/7 link to NYC via the PATH trains. Rent would be the cheapest there. Its a safe neighborhood and its like min Brooklyn. There are lots of shops and stores and over in Newport Section is a Mall. The sales tax is only 3% unlike NYC's 7-8%. We have no clothing tax and our gas is cheaper. Jersey City is like a suburb , compared to NYC. Its very quiet on the weekends. There is great transportation throughout the city and Region. Regional Rail , Bus , Subway , & Light Rail.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:08 PM

588 posts, read 1,321,198 times
Two bedroom apts in a desireable neighborhood of Brooklyn (ie Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, Carroll Gardens) will cost much more than 15/1600, so I'd stick to looking in Jersey and Queens. In Queens, Astoria & Long Island City are both convenient to midtown, as is Hoboken in NJ. A lot of young professionals live in those three areas. Jersey City can be a bit dicey depending on the neighborhood, so I personally would not recommend it.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:14 PM

334 posts, read 663,203 times
Try Sunnyside, Queens. It is right on the #7 subway line which stops at Times Square. It was voted the third best neighborhood in NYC by NY Magazine. Apartments are still pretty cheap and shopping is great.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax12479 View Post
Two bedroom apts in a desireable neighborhood of Brooklyn (ie Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, Carroll Gardens) will cost much more than 15/1600, so I'd stick to looking in Jersey and Queens. In Queens, Astoria & Long Island City are both convenient to midtown, as is Hoboken in NJ. A lot of young professionals live in those three areas. Jersey City can be a bit dicey depending on the neighborhood, so I personally would not recommend it.
Not really , just 2 Neighborhoods and its contained. Its contained to Greenville and Bergen-Layette the rest of the city is just as safe as NYC in terms of Crime.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:38 PM

2 posts, read 8,221 times
Another good neighborhood to consider is Forest Hills, Queens. It has a sub-urban feel with a good crowd. They have many shops, a library at the corner, and a nice park. The P.S there are good, so they could count on a good neighborhood/ good education. You can take the E, M, R, F to the city, or take the LIRR.

The cost will most likely be higher than one in brooklyn, but its worth the search. Good luck with everything!

Old 07-15-2010, 06:13 AM

334 posts, read 663,203 times
Yes, Forest Hills is very nice too. I lived in NYC all my life.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:17 AM

2 posts, read 4,618 times
Thanks for the posts. I realize our search is kind of vague and spread out right now. I am trying to understand where to look in Jersey City; some people have concerns about some parts of it.
I'm also going to look at Forest Hills and Sunnyside. My daughter was interested in Jackson Heights also. Because of her limited vision, we feel torn between having her safe but isolated versus more people around but more risks for her.
We have also had acquaintances who lived in and liked Maplewood, NJ. But I wonder how her husband would get to the train since she can't drive. I understand parking is an issue at train stations. We are also looking at Nutley, Cranford, Leonia, and Westwood.
Currently they are in an apt. rental complex near Boston with alot of amenties which is nice for her as she can find her way around the buildings and grounds with her toddler. I haven't found anything like this in NJ so far. I wonder if we need to get an agent.
(I shouldn't have used the term "'dull and yuppie" in my first post; I don't really know exactly what a yuppie is and I like many people who may be considered yuppie. I just was looking for a little pizzaz for her as she is outgoing, but without it being an unsafe area. Probably not realistic.)

Last edited by aquabird; 07-15-2010 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: added info

Old 07-15-2010, 12:35 PM

59 posts, read 155,460 times
You might try downtown Brooklyn (Borough Hall area). It's still pre-gentrified, relatively cheap and you're just a couple stops out of Manhattan. The major subway routes (A,C,F,G,2,3,4,5,6,R,Q) all cross in that area.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquabird View Post
Thanks for the posts. I realize our search is kind of vague and spread out right now. I am trying to understand where to look in Jersey City; some people have concerns about some parts of it.
I'm also going to look at Forest Hills and Sunnyside. My daughter was interested in Jackson Heights also. Because of her limited vision, we feel torn between having her safe but isolated versus more people around but more risks for her.
We have also had acquaintances who lived in and liked Maplewood, NJ. But I wonder how her husband would get to the train since she can't drive. I understand parking is an issue at train stations. We are also looking at Nutley, Cranford, Leonia, and Westwood.
Currently they are in an apt. rental complex near Boston with alot of amenties which is nice for her as she can find her way around the buildings and grounds with her toddler. I haven't found anything like this in NJ so far. I wonder if we need to get an agent.
(I shouldn't have used the term "'dull and yuppie" in my first post; I don't really know exactly what a yuppie is and I like many people who may be considered yuppie. I just was looking for a little pizzaz for her as she is outgoing, but without it being an unsafe area. Probably not realistic.)
Newport , Historic Downtown & Jersey City Heights are all good places with great 24/7 Bus / Rail Transit to NYC and Regional Rail connections in Jersey City. Also look into Hoboken , and Weehawken. There cheaper versions of NYC , New Yorkers often call us the 6th Borough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City