Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2010, 12:14 AM

8 posts, read 65,016 times

Advertisements

I recently signed a lease for a first floor apartment in Bushwick(Hart@Broadway), before realizing the windows have no kind of security to them . I've always lived in upper floors and didn't even think about it before this. The landlord said he would be willing to put gates in the windows, as well as cameras, but no bars on the outside(too expensive). I'm wondering what kind of security, if any, these gates provide and whether I should be concerned living in a moderate to high crime area. I noticed that only maybe 2/3 of the first floor windows on this block have bars on them.

Being the summer, another concern is whether it's a good idea to have an air conditioning unit in an unsecured window. I suppose the burglar could just open the window with the a/c unit in it, and come right in? I have already decided on buying window alarms for all the windows in the apartment. Any ideas, opinions, experience, etc are very much appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 05:30 AM

979 posts, read 4,456,896 times
The outside bars are the best but the inside scissor gates are OK. Make sure they install the center cuff top and bottom. This prevents someone from stretching the gate far enough to squeeze under. The advantage of the inside gates is installation of a AC unit. More trouble if the outside bars have to be cut or added to, to accommodate the unit.
An AC unit can be made secure by attaching plumber's strap across the front to prevent a push-in (more likely with a unit that has a separate sleeve) and of course the whole unit should be secured to the window with screws.

Unless you're willing to install a centrally monitored alarm system don't bother. If I was going to break in I would simply break a window and see what happens. If nobody shows up or the battery simply runs down on the alarm then I know it's safe.

The first thing to do is to have the gates installed. ACs can be installed afterwards.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:07 PM

8 posts, read 65,016 times
Thanks for the advice modsquad. I'll have to discuss the possibility of scissor gates with the building manager. Any other ideas/opinions on the necessity of this? I suppose renter's insurance couldn't hurt either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City