Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2023, 09:09 AM

4,770 posts, read 6,560,761 times

Advertisements

Wow, congrats!!! What is your view like? We saw a low-floor C overlooking the parking lot, but my daughter would have accepted it in a minute.

The large windows are amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2023, 09:12 AM

154 posts, read 287,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Applicants have to be at least 18 to enter. Plus, they need to be residents of New York State, not New York City.

I started a thread for the new lottery:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...it-list-3.html

I'm glad you saw a two-bedroom that you liked! My daughter saw a one-bedroom, I think it was a C, on very low floor, with a direct and unavoidable view of the parking lot. She wasn't offered it, but she would have taken it.

Will you accept the apartment if offered?

Oh yes, we'll take anything offered! Considering the slow pace of the 2-bed list we really can't be picky. I figure we can always move later to a different unit, although I'm not sure that's actually true if our family does not grow (we are not expecting that to happen).

Old 09-23-2023, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkny14 View Post
Hi mollybloom and Pythian,

I did get the offer:-) It's a 2bedroom on the 3rd floor of the balcony line- so, sadly, no balcony, but 2 big windows in the living room- so much better than the previous apartment offered and turned down. The mortgage process is ongoing- taking longer than I anticipated and have to keep nudging them. I went with ABEFCU.

I will update once all is finalized!

YES! Soooo happy for you, mkny14!!!! 9 years later and you are finally getting in! Keep us posted and congratulations, fingers crossed for you that the mortgage process will not drive you too nuts as it moves along.

Old 09-23-2023, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco_ View Post
Hey there roses1212! The gym is $12.50/month for the first member of the household and $10.75 for each additional member. Woodworking club is $70.00 annually. Hope this helps
Great info, thanks for sharing it bosco_! Is the gym nice? Do they have elliptical machines?

Old 09-23-2023, 02:06 PM

18 posts, read 18,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco_ View Post
Hey there roses1212! The gym is $12.50/month for the first member of the household and $10.75 for each additional member. Woodworking club is $70.00 annually. Hope this helps
Wow. That’s great! Thank you for the info Bosco!
I hope you’re enjoying settling in to your new place!

Old 09-23-2023, 07:39 PM

59 posts, read 56,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkny14 View Post
Hi mollybloom and Pythian,

I did get the offer:-) It's a 2bedroom on the 3rd floor of the balcony line- so, sadly, no balcony, but 2 big windows in the living room- so much better than the previous apartment offered and turned down. The mortgage process is ongoing- taking longer than I anticipated and have to keep nudging them. I went with ABEFCU.

I will update once all is finalized!
Thrilled for you, mkny14! And it gives my family hope! Do keep us posted when you are able.

Old 09-24-2023, 02:26 PM

4,770 posts, read 6,560,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybloom View Post
Oh yes, we'll take anything offered! Considering the slow pace of the 2-bed list we really can't be picky. I figure we can always move later to a different unit, although I'm not sure that's actually true if our family does not grow (we are not expecting that to happen).
You can transfer after three years of residency to any apartment size you qualify for. So if your family size is the same, you would qualify for for a two-bedroom. You would be able to specify which building, which line, etc. but of course the more specific you are, the longer you may wait.

Old 10-01-2023, 01:45 PM

12 posts, read 11,598 times
Hey guys i just got the notice in the mail to go see an apartment Monday. Im super excited I cant wait Im a lost for words its a studio but i need a two bedroom later on in life Im getting older. its so crazy that Ive been following this thread for over a year and here its finally happening.How do you even get a three bedroom????? no one even talks about that. like thats needs to be talked about more. I wanted to know some contractors if possible some good workers good quality. good luck to the rest of you.

Old 10-01-2023, 07:22 PM

2,011 posts, read 1,631,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marbrury20002 View Post
Hey guys i just got the notice in the mail to go see an apartment Monday. Im super excited I cant wait Im a lost for words its a studio but i need a two bedroom later on in life Im getting older. its so crazy that Ive been following this thread for over a year and here its finally happening.How do you even get a three bedroom????? no one even talks about that. like thats needs to be talked about more. I wanted to know some contractors if possible some good workers good quality. good luck to the rest of you.
There seem to be only 210 3 bedroom apartments at Penn So. Unless there is a vacancy nobody new gets a 3 bedroom, and perhaps existing Penn Residents get priority. They stop building units here decades ago. I don’t know when the last 3 bed lottery was for them. There might not be much to talk about. Once you have your foot in the door you’ll be able to learn more.
We know there was a 2019 2 bed lottery. It’s posted here that after 3 years you can join an internal waitlist.
Congratulations. Good luck and good patience.

Old 10-01-2023, 08:38 PM

59 posts, read 56,599 times
Yes, marbrury20002, there are only 210 3-bedroom apartments and they are only available to current residents on the so-called internal list. I happen to have some second-hand info about this since the one couple i personally know who live in Penn South currently have a 2-bedroom and are expecting another child. They got on the internal list for a 3-bedroom and were told the wait would be no less than 5 years and could likely be 8-10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery