Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2023, 08:52 PM

22 posts, read 28,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roses1212 View Post
Congrats on your new place, Bosco!Hope you're enjoying settling in.
Wow! That's a long wait for storage but it's best to put your name on all the lists right away.

I am 10x on the active 1 br list and can't wait to move there. I work in the area and for many years have enjoyed lunch breaks with colleagues on the benches in between the buildings.The grounds are always maintained and there's such a lovely atmosphere there.I already feel like I live there. Maybe in 2024 it'll happen.

In the meantime, this forum has been invaluable and I can't imagine not having this information to be prepared.
We are such a lucky bunch.
By my math, 12 per month for 1 br, you will definitely be in by next year, likely called by May and move by summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2023, 07:04 AM

18 posts, read 18,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSReidNYC View Post
By my math, 12 per month for 1 br, you will definitely be in by next year, likely called by May and move by summer.
That's a pretty good average and estimate, JSReid. I also have been tracking the list for over a year.It has jumped considerably recently.It is confusing that some people on the active list get a letter to view apartments or are prescreened well above 100. Regardless, I appreciate people sharing their process through this.

Old 08-05-2023, 08:12 AM

93 posts, read 77,028 times
I'm on hold until August 2025, but am currently at number 5 on the 1 bedroom external list. When I take myself off hold, will I see an apartment right away? Because my number is so low, is it possible I will see apartments that are not in the G line and get first pick on them?

I'm also on the waitlist for Strycker's Bay with a log number of 1X, and to be honest I would prefer living on the UWS.

Old 08-05-2023, 06:31 PM

2,011 posts, read 1,631,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontworryboutathing View Post
I'm on hold until August 2025, but am currently at number 5 on the 1 bedroom external list. When I take myself off hold, will I see an apartment right away? Because my number is so low, is it possible I will see apartments that are not in the G line and get first pick on them?

I'm also on the waitlist for Strycker's Bay with a log number of 1X, and to be honest I would prefer living on the UWS.
You will not see an apt right away unless a vacancy is available right away. I suppose you knew that already but you didn’t write it down that way. And, you likely know that at some point in the process it becomes take the apt or quit the list entirely. Once you are a resident you can join a waitlist to switch to a different apt. Good luck.

Are you allowed to take you number off of hold anytime up to the expiration date? Penn South is not low price, be sure to save money for the purchase.

Penn South is 2800 or so apts. Stryckers Bay is about 230. This enables a waitlist to move faster with the massive difference in number of apts. But, other factors influence speed too.

Last edited by WildAboutHarry; 08-05-2023 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: Add data

Old 08-05-2023, 07:51 PM

4,770 posts, read 6,560,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontworryboutathing View Post

I'm also on th4e waitlist for Strycker's Bay with a log number of 1X, and to be honest I would prefer living on the UWS.
Yes, you will be called by Penn South quickly after going off hold. But even though you have a low number, that doesn’t guarantee you will see more desirable apartments, although you may "jump" over a few people. You will probably get a mix of Gs, and As on low floors, but maybe something else will be on offer too. It has often surprised me what “newbies” get to see, including apartments with balconies.

I haven't followed Strycker's Bay, and you know more about it than I do. You certainly have a great number there. But are they still working off an old list? Do you have any idea of how long your wait is there?

Last edited by macnyc2003; 08-05-2023 at 08:41 PM..

Old 08-07-2023, 05:08 AM

93 posts, read 77,028 times
I really don't know! I have tried to ask for an update from the management company 5+ times in July and August. They just stopped answering my e-mails and when I call, the property manager for those two properties' number just rings. It is impossible. I really wish the city would hold these property managers to a higher standard but, alas...

I'm excited to see what apartments are available for me at Penn South. I'm thinking I will go off hold in January; I have enough for the down payment but am just not ready yet to move. To the above question: yes, you can take yourself off hold at any time. If I don't take myself off hold, I will automatically be taken off hold in August 2025 as that will be when my five years of hold are up.

Old 08-07-2023, 06:18 AM

4,770 posts, read 6,560,761 times
It’s a shame you have to make decisions about your housing based on incomplete info. And I guess the online sources aren’t correct? The original Housing Connect says the last one-bedroom at Strycker’s was approved in 2012. Could that be correct?

https://a806-housingconnect.nyc.gov/...ml#ml-waitlist

Old 08-10-2023, 05:50 PM

154 posts, read 287,195 times
We moved up one spot on the 2-bed list, LOL. Hoping this somehow means you got the apartment, @mkny14?

Old 08-10-2023, 09:17 PM

59 posts, read 56,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybloom View Post
We moved up one spot on the 2-bed list, LOL. Hoping this somehow means you got the apartment, @mkny14?
You read my mind, @mollybloom. Hope @mkny14 got the apartment!

Old 08-16-2023, 10:53 PM

12 posts, read 11,598 times
im in the top 20 in studios when will you think they will call me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery