Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2018, 12:40 PM

294 posts, read 264,160 times

Advertisements

My friend "Joey M" has spent 6 years documenting the ghetto nonsense that goes in Jamaica on a daily basis. 6 years in Jamaica was enough for him, he moved to greener, non ghetto pastures. Although, I believe Jamaica is slowly getting better, there's still too many problematic people who live/hang out in the community, quality of life laws rarely get enforced, and the political leadership is a joke. Take a look for yourselves, photographs do not lie. https://cleanupjamaicaqueens.wordpress.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 12:46 PM

885 posts, read 1,382,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8Str8 View Post
My friend "Joey M" has spent 6 years documenting the ghetto nonsense that goes in Jamaica on a daily basis. 6 years in Jamaica was enough for him, he moved to greener, non ghetto pastures. Although, I believe Jamaica is slowly getting better, there's still too many problematic people who live/hang out in the community, quality of life laws rarely get enforced, and the political leadership is a joke. Take a look for yourselves, photographs do not lie. https://cleanupjamaicaqueens.wordpress.com
OMG! Those pictures are horrible! Who knew?! I definitely wouldn't want to move into a neighborhood like that, I'm from Harlem and I remember the rough years growing up but I can't say it's ever looked that bad, sheesh!

Old 03-08-2018, 05:01 PM

23 posts, read 74,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorium View Post
This is terrible.
I'm not sure if I'd want my mother or sisters coming to visit me, in an area like that.

I went to see the site last week, and as I walked out of the E train, I saw a woman being arrested across the street by the LIRR. At 3pm in the afternoon, lol.

That's not something I'm used to seeing.
I agree with you, I feel the same way. Not to mention last year's gang rape of a 50 year old female that happened 2 blocks from Alvista...

Old 03-08-2018, 05:51 PM

15 posts, read 29,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8Str8 View Post

To be quite honest, I think your little “friend†is racist and his website is BS. This is NYC, of course you are going to see overflowing trash cans. At least most of the trash are near the bin! And showing a picture of a downed street sign, makes that ghetto? Really? Your friend practically just overused and misused the term “ghetto†all over his damn website. Yes Jamaica, Queens has some work to do, but the city is really trying to improve the area and also there is a MTA police station right around the corner, if that makes anyone feel better.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:04 PM

8 posts, read 13,743 times
Lol I’ve never seen Jamaica Queens look like this. I agree with previous poster your friend sounds racist

Old 03-08-2018, 09:04 PM

34,169 posts, read 47,434,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiniCakes View Post
OMG! Those pictures are horrible! Who knew?! I definitely wouldn't want to move into a neighborhood like that, I'm from Harlem and I remember the rough years growing up but I can't say it's ever looked that bad, sheesh!
The entire Jamaica does not look like that

The homeless and the drunks are confined to Rufus King Park, the buildings around the Coliseum area you also gotta be careful around. But the only time you will have to worry about that is if you have to go to the post office. Otherwise where Alvista is located, you won't run into these types of issues. Maybe one stray bum, but nothing to the level in those pics. Also around Sutphin is pretty built up. No abandoned homes. I'm not saying its the best area, but certainly far from the worst. It's pretty much the same level as Downtown Brooklyn was in the early 2000s, or like 125th Street in the early 2000s.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-08-2018, 09:35 PM

5 posts, read 14,666 times
Looks like a lot of people are concerned about the area((.... Also, I don't want to sound bad but I'm concerned about people being interviewed. It could be just my experience but I'm not looking to have a drug dealer next door and unemployed baby mama with 5 kids upstairs. Unfortunately, that's how it looked like on the day of my interview.(((

Old 03-09-2018, 01:02 AM

8 posts, read 13,743 times
The reason they set the income brackets high is so they can gentrify the area. In the next 2-3 years Jamaica center formerly known as Jamaica ave will not look the same

Old 03-09-2018, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
The entire Jamaica does not look like that

The homeless and the drunks are confined to Rufus King Park, the buildings around the Coliseum area you also gotta be careful around. But the only time you will have to worry about that is if you have to go to the post office. Otherwise where Alvista is located, you won't run into these types of issues. Maybe one stray bum, but nothing to the level in those pics. Also around Sutphin is pretty built up. No abandoned homes. I'm not saying its the best area, but certainly far from the worst. It's pretty much the same level as Downtown Brooklyn was in the early 2000s, or like 125th Street in the early 2000s.
I work in Jamaica and live in Queens Village and I will tell you Jamaica DOES look like that! Too many homeless shelters and low class ghetto slobs living in the area. 94 ave alone has an illegal dumping problem. Look at at the vacant lot next to the Alivista! All that litter comes courtesy of the low class residents who live in the area! Oh, let's exclude the Portuguese who live across Sutphin Blvd around 101ave. There houses are all well kept. Their fig trees and grape vines remind me of living in Ozone Park. They have pride, dignity, and self respect. Head South of Sutphin Blvd and cross Liberty Ave, and it's like a scene from Dante's Inferno! Oh, a lot of problematic white dope heads from Long Island are adding ghetto fluid to the fire. I was walking around the hub the other day and I've never seen so many derelict white junkies in Jamaica. It was a real pathetic sight.

Old 03-09-2018, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelenamak View Post
Looks like a lot of people are concerned about the area((.... Also, I don't want to sound bad but I'm concerned about people being interviewed. It could be just my experience but I'm not looking to have a drug dealer next door and unemployed baby mama with 5 kids upstairs. Unfortunately, that's how it looked like on the day of my interview.(((
That doesnt surprise me. Gotta love this country. Someone can make a mess of their life, yet get rewarded with a nice apartment courtesy of the responsible tax payer (Me). A Doctor that I work with recently to my that he pays 3500 a month to live in a building in Rego Park, yet the first 3 floors are affordable housing where those tenants only pay 600 a month to live in the same building! He said "Liberals then teach those people to hate people like you and me!". He's right! It's a shame, give them 6 months and they'll rip Alivista apart.

Last edited by Sk8Str8; 03-09-2018 at 04:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery