Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2018, 06:03 AM

34,171 posts, read 47,434,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8Str8 View Post
I work in Jamaica and live in Queens Village and I will tell you Jamaica DOES look like that! Too many homeless shelters and low class ghetto slobs living in the area. 94 ave alone has an illegal dumping problem. Look at at the vacant lot next to the Alivista! All that litter comes courtesy of the low class residents who live in the area! Oh, let's exclude the Portuguese who live across Sutphin Blvd around 101ave. There houses are all well kept. Their fig trees and grape vines remind me of living in Ozone Park. They have pride, dignity, and self respect. Head South of Sutphin Blvd and cross Liberty Ave, and it's like a scene from Dante's Inferno! Oh, a lot of problematic white dope heads from Long Island are adding ghetto fluid to the fire. I was walking around the hub the other day and I've never seen so many derelict white junkies in Jamaica. It was a real pathetic sight.
It's not as bad as you're describing it. They'll just be going to work and coming home, and if they need to do shopping they'll most likely be on Jamaica Avenue itself for that. If I was applying for this lottery and got selected, there would be no reason for me to go to any of the places you mentioned other than just to "sightsee," for lack of a better term.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 11:56 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,044,484 times
Yeah, Jamaica is a big area, most of this is much deeper and a bit further east, if one was living in Alvista Towers one would not really have much occasion to head that way at all.

Old 03-09-2018, 02:56 PM

29 posts, read 72,520 times
I would just have to get used to the vibe of it, if given the chance to live there.

I've been living in Long Island City and Astoria, Ditmars for the past 5 years. The rents here for a studio apt. are disgusting to say the less. I've even Forest Hills and Jackson Heights for a small amount of time. But I've always felt safe and comfortable walking through those neighborhoods at any time. I don't think I would feel the same in Jamaica, at this time. But I'm hoping 5-10 years it will be a safer neighborhood.

Last edited by Astorium; 03-09-2018 at 03:49 PM..

Old 03-09-2018, 04:33 PM

294 posts, read 264,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorium View Post
I would just have to get used to the vibe of it, if given the chance to live there.

I've been living in Long Island City and Astoria, Ditmars for the past 5 years. The rents here for a studio apt. are disgusting to say the less. I've even Forest Hills and Jackson Heights for a small amount of time. But I've always felt safe and comfortable walking through those neighborhoods at any time. I don't think I would feel the same in Jamaica, at this time. But I'm hoping 5-10 years it will be a safer neighborhood.
It's going to take a decade. Everyone of the hotels that have opened up in the area now house homeless people. I witnessed last week a mentally ill homeless man stumbling down Archer ave still in his hospital gown! Oh, he was a hop, skip, and jump from Alivista. Moving ghetto crap people into a nice building doesn't help either. They aren't all of sudden going to act civilized. Until they start building more market rate housing, and bring in a better class of people, Jamaica will NOT change. Shoot, I've even witnessed women who live in Jamaica blow snot rockets out of their noses while walking down The Ave (it was so uncouth). The Ave, nothing but cheap, hip hop, ghetto crap clothing for sale. Better class of people, better clothing, better amenities is what I'm hoping for.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:41 PM

294 posts, read 264,160 times
I contacted Dnainfo and they did a story on the horrible conditions of Rufus King Park. What a beautiful park that constantly gets trashed by the locals when the weather warms up. Well, after we did the story I've noticed the parks department getting the homeless out of there, and issuing tickets to the litterbugs. 2.2 million dollars of renovations and the locals still trash the place. No respect. https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...jamaica-litter

Old 03-09-2018, 06:15 PM

34,171 posts, read 47,434,105 times
Quote:
It's going to take a decade. Everyone of the hotels that have opened up in the area now house homeless people. I witnessed last week a mentally ill homeless man stumbling down Archer ave still in his hospital gown! Oh, he was a hop, skip, and jump from Alivista.
Jamaica Avenue in the 140s always been scuzzy, even before the hotels

Once again people living in this building would have no reason to walk in that direction unless they were visiting somebody at Jamaica Hospital. Hell, if they have an unlimited they can just take the train 1 stop.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-09-2018, 08:17 PM

5 posts, read 14,666 times
Does anyone have any idea how apartments look like?

Old 03-10-2018, 06:36 AM

25,410 posts, read 37,165,786 times
Quote:
That doesnt surprise me. Gotta love this country. Someone can make a mess of their life, yet get rewarded with a nice apartment courtesy of the responsible tax payer (Me). A Doctor that I work with recently to my that he pays 3500 a month to live in a building in Rego Park, yet the first 3 floors are affordable housing where those tenants only pay 600 a month to live in the same building! He said "Liberals then teach those people to hate people like you and me!". He's right! It's a shame, give them 6 months and they'll rip Alivista apart.

I'll bet that doctor is getting the bulk of his income from public sources like Medicare and Medicaid...so he shouldn't bytch.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:05 AM

1 posts, read 3,386 times
It’s a shame how much hate these post have in them! You know there’s a thing called White trash right? Black / white Dirt is still Fuvkin Dirt Drugs are still Fuvkin Drugs it doesn’t matter who does them! People are going to be themselves no matter what environment you put them in....if you don’t like the neighborhood you don’t have to live there simply move somewhere where the (dirt) isn’t

Old 03-13-2018, 08:52 AM

12 posts, read 24,271 times
Hello all. I have been reading up on a few forums for this particular development and I have noticed many people have been getting called and emailed with much higher log numbers than mine and even with no preferences like myself. What gives? Who can I contact about the status of my application. Or does anyone know what exactly is going on right now as far as log numbers go. Im log # 28** with no preferences. ughhhh please help with any info i haven't had any luck with anything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery