Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2014, 09:29 AM

913 posts, read 2,275,530 times

Advertisements

Dichotomy. My keyboards auto-correct. "Dichotomy" is what I meant. The last time I checked someone driving a Mercedez and paid 10K for it pissed off a friend who brought the same Mercedez at 20K. No reason for such a huge price discrepancy for the exact same thing. Last time I checked, everyone in the world wants a discount on something if not everything.

There's already dichotomy and tension between me and my co-workers when they found out I was awarded a unit through a lottery process. A few people said: You have no right living in LIC unless you're paying the going rate. Why should you get a rent discount and not me? Why do I make more money than you and i can't even be able to afford LIC. They shouldn't allow someone of your kind into such an expensive area. By letting you live there it's creating a negative connotation for people who work hard and pay a lot of money in renting their luxury condo.

You can imagine how the conversation went. I won't elaborate further, but don't play me like you think everything is rainbows and butterflies. If it was, that boy in Florida (Trayvon Martin) wearing sweat pants a hoodie would still be alive.

Now isn't that the most interesting form of "Dichotomy" that ended tragically.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 11:36 AM

28 posts, read 59,562 times
I only take home about 62% of my gross pay (deductions include wageworks and 401k). I automatically sweep a third of my take home to savings. Rent on the studio would eat up half of my take home.

When I ran the numbers, the apartment didn't fit in my current budget and I didn't want to change the budget.

I was also selected for 2 other housing lotteries, none of which I went though with because the numbers didn't work.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:50 AM

I understand. I am going to be up front and i have said it before, a lot of the new middle income rent prices are not friendly. A lot of them are pretty much what the standard New Yorker takes home after taxes every 2 weeks. For example, if someone lives paycheck to paycheck - why should that person be TIGHT on money for another 2 weeks before getting paid again?

I totally understand where you are coming from. I did the math as well, but felt i couldn't pass up on this opportunity. This has never happened to me before so i feel extra lucky.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:22 PM

My ultimate goal is to purchase a house. Spending too much on housing now will throw that goal though a loop.

Old 11-15-2014, 01:15 PM

It is a crying shame how buying a house these days is over the top when it comes to prices. The prices are beyond RIDICULOUS.

Nobody can really afford that unless they make a 7 figure salary. Anyone with 6 figures will seriously be suffering trying to make their monthly mortgage payments.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:23 PM

It's crazy how much prices have appreciated since 2000. It's hard to imagine such growth is sustainable. Some neighborhoods that I'd be afraid to go to are now expensive trendy neighborhoods.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:39 PM

It's also a sign like: let's push people who don't have $ out and bring in new people who have $ to burn on rent. Hopefully prices will increase to a point that people without $ will leave and move to Atlanta.

It's very racial if you will.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:28 PM

The same thing is happening in a lot of cities. What I don't understand is how all these artsy hipsters afford rent.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:44 PM

I don't get how hippies pay rent either. They always look unemployed and in dire need of a shave.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:53 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,532,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by q41apartments View Post
Dichotomy. My keyboards auto-correct. "Dichotomy" is what I meant. The last time I checked someone driving a Mercedez and paid 10K for it pissed off a friend who brought the same Mercedez at 20K. No reason for such a huge price discrepancy for the exact same thing. Last time I checked, everyone in the world wants a discount on something if not everything.

There's already dichotomy and tension between me and my co-workers when they found out I was awarded a unit through a lottery process. A few people said: You have no right living in LIC unless you're paying the going rate. Why should you get a rent discount and not me? Why do I make more money than you and i can't even be able to afford LIC. They shouldn't allow someone of your kind into such an expensive area. By letting you live there it's creating a negative connotation for people who work hard and pay a lot of money in renting their luxury condo.

You can imagine how the conversation went. I won't elaborate further, but don't play me like you think everything is rainbows and butterflies. If it was, that boy in Florida (Trayvon Martin) wearing sweat pants a hoodie would still be alive.

Now isn't that the most interesting form of "Dichotomy" that ended tragically.

Why did you tell your co-workers that you got your apartment through a housing lottery? Do you often overshare personal information with people? It's really none of your co workers business how you can afford to pay your rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery