Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2013, 04:35 PM

58 posts, read 282,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adub55 View Post
I'm wondering if anyone comes on this post anymore. I read all 10 pages I wish the best of luck to all I applied for housing in October I upgraded my priority a few weeks later to n1 I was called for an interview on nov 27.. I became certified on dec 6 I am waiting for the letter in the mail. So far everything has been quick I hope it continues at this pace. I was told I was place on a borough wide waiting list for manhattan it's just me so I will have a studio. Did anyone move in besides the girl from Staten Island ?
You'll be waiting forever. I've been waiting on a Studio for going on 3 years. Manhattan has no Studios!!! Wish I had known better and chose Brooklyn, Bronx or Staten Island which is the fastest because no one wants to go there. I started this thread and has learn so much. I've found a loophole and I'm trying to use it to get upgraded from a studio to a 1 bedroom, if it works I'll post. Good luck though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 11:05 AM

2 posts, read 6,222 times
I am a female of domestic violence and I am currently working . Maybe

Old 12-11-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adub55 View Post
I am a female of domestic violence and I am currently working . Maybe
It doesn't make a difference. I have the same priority and all. You don't have kids and aren't disabled but hey, you never know.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:27 PM

79 posts, read 202,041 times
Wow @tyhustle I saw you had post and thought you were coming to say that you had finally gotten an offer. 3 years is crazy, I wish I had picked queens, manhattan is high demand. I seen a few other posts of people getting their apartments in queens and didn't wait too long. One girl got certified in april of this year and already got it. We will get it when we no longer need it lol. @adub55 I applied last year in November and recently added my baby to my certified app. Good luck to everyone but seriously it won't even be worth it when it does come. Many people have been waiting over two years for a one bedroom in manhattan and still haven't gotten it. You know it goes by certification date so even though a name is randomly selected, a person with an earlier certification gets it first, and also it goes by needs and work preference so an empty apartment can go to a work preference if its on the work turn. Also even if you work, if you have N1 you only get one code. Others get N3/W1, while we get just N1 no matter if you work or not. But yeah, you didn't ask for all this info so again goodluck!

Old 12-12-2013, 11:47 PM

32,333 posts, read 27,557,726 times
While have no answers to the plight of the OP and others, the following at least goes to explain what is going on: Number Of People Waiting For Public Housing Now Exceeds Total Amount Of Public Housing In NYC: Gothamist

Simply put NYCHA has too many applicants for too few available apartments.

From what one has heard the City is trying to shuffle things around by *ahem* moving existing tenants from larger apartments to smaller units, but it isn't going well. Many of those tenants are seniors who moved into those two or even one bedroom units when they were married and had children. Now often widowed and children grown logically they should move to a smaller unit, but many don't see things that way.

For one thing most don't want to leave their current complex and if there aren't smaller units available.... The other is many persons use those extra bedrooms ad space the same as anyone else would; for grandchildren/family etc...

Old 12-12-2013, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
While have no answers to the plight of the OP and others, the following at least goes to explain what is going on: Number Of People Waiting For Public Housing Now Exceeds Total Amount Of Public Housing In NYC: Gothamist

Simply put NYCHA has too many applicants for too few available apartments.

From what one has heard the City is trying to shuffle things around by *ahem* moving existing tenants from larger apartments to smaller units, but it isn't going well. Many of those tenants are seniors who moved into those two or even one bedroom units when they were married and had children. Now often widowed and children grown logically they should move to a smaller unit, but many don't see things that way.

For one thing most don't want to leave their current complex and if there aren't smaller units available.... The other is many persons use those extra bedrooms ad space the same as anyone else would; for grandchildren/family etc...
Yea, I have a good feeling that when I get it I won't need it. I need it now but I'm also working on never needing anything like this so if it comes and I don't need it, to God be the glory. Good luck everyone and happy holidays.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:33 AM

79 posts, read 202,041 times
Thanks same to you.

In reference to bugsy's post- It's insane how many people are on the waiting list while others have vacant rooms. When I was 18 I usto be a home attendant and I had many cases in the projects where older women would have 3 and 4 furnished bedroom apartments living alone because their kids went off and moved away. Man, I have a friend whose dad has a 2 bedroom at wagner housing and is renting it to college students. He lives with his girlfriend at another residence and basically rents the rooms out yearly. Many others do the same. When I applied, I desperately needed it, but the months went by and I ended up just renting a studio after I had my son. Thinking about it now, I'm better off where I am now. 30 percent of what I make is not worth it in housing, and I'm probably paying less than what I would pay in nycha. But yeah, here I go typing away again lol.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:46 PM

32,333 posts, read 27,557,726 times
Well you can forget any sort of reform of abuses at NYCHA once de Blasio in installed in a less than three weeks.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:52 AM

8 posts, read 24,695 times
i applied as a N1 priority nd got called for an eligibility interview exactly one month from the day i applied. then after the interview i got certified exactly 1 week later. Now im certified for a boroughwide waiting list in Queens. I was wondering if anyone can give me an estimated amount of time on how long it'll take before they offer me an apartment?

Old 01-08-2014, 09:54 AM

163 posts, read 486,843 times
Pamela your process has been pretty quick, but I don't think anyone can tell you. Everyone is different it's depending and the vacancies they have in the specific building that you choose. Did you select a building yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery