Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2013, 07:26 PM

10 posts, read 40,804 times

Advertisements

havent been on this site in a few month,,...i applied for nycha April 15, 2012
my priority was n1, it took exactly 11months for the whole process to go thru, i choose Staten island as my borough of choice because the other 4 borough has a high waiting list, i figure i had a bettet chance going to a place where no body wanna go, now im currently in berry homes, the area is beautifu! ! its peaceful, there's not a bunch of people hangout, definitely a great place to raise children. ..basically i just wanted to update you guys on my final chapter an wish everyone the best of luck!!!

p.s....dont be scared to get out your comfort zone!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 07:47 PM

208 posts, read 464,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justliveurlife View Post
havent been on this site in a few month,,...i applied for nycha April 15, 2012
my priority was n1, it took exactly 11months for the whole process to go thru, i choose Staten island as my borough of choice because the other 4 borough has a high waiting list, i figure i had a bettet chance going to a place where no body wanna go, now im currently in berry homes, the area is beautifu! ! its peaceful, there's not a bunch of people hangout, definitely a great place to raise children. ..basically i just wanted to update you guys on my final chapter an wish everyone the best of luck!!!

p.s....dont be scared to get out your comfort zone!!!
Sounds like you truly needed the help for you went with a place you didn't necessarily want to live. I'm glad you got into a safe and good place for your family. I think more should learn from you. Too many people claim the need housing asap and then choose Manhattan long waiting listed buildings. If you need housing you will take what is being offered provided it is decently safe for everyone. I wish you success in the future and hope you wont need to be in public housing forever and are able to use it as a stepping stone and then break free.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:26 PM

10 posts, read 40,804 times
Appreciate the feed back, actually I wanted to go to Staten Island, even tho there's crime every where, out of the five boroughs the crime rate is lower in staten island and we can't predict the future but nycha isn't forever, it's for right now an if things keep goin the way it is hopefully ill see you at the top

Remember s.i. Isn't fit for all but at the end of the day you can always transfer to another borough and get place quicker then someone who been waiting for years with an n1 priority (food for thought)

Last edited by Justliveurlife; 08-08-2013 at 05:37 PM..

Old 08-21-2013, 06:30 AM

2 posts, read 8,364 times
I was certified in April 2013. I have been checking my status online every other day. Last week, I seen that my status changed to selected but I didnt receive any letter in the mail. I called the cc# to ask what does selected means and they told me that it doesnt mean nothing. The next day I checked my status, it said that I was placed on hold because I didnt respond to the apartment offer. Now they put me back to certified. Does anyone knows what happens next and would I have to wait long?

Old 09-04-2013, 10:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,257 times
My status online also says selected. When I call CC# the tell me I'm still on then waiting list.. My status online want me to constant the development but I don't know the development because of my N1 status.. Did u get any more info about ur case?

Old 09-05-2013, 05:42 AM

21 posts, read 112,076 times
I never knew there was an online application status check. Can someone tell me the info?

Old 09-08-2013, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 4,106 times
Unhappy Dont feel bad... Hear my story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeB87 View Post
I am on the Manhattan borough wide waitlist as well with priority No1! Wow i thought this would be quick! So are u a vicim of domestic violence? I have never heard of anyone being on the borough wide waitlist this long! Wow! Are u an emergency applicant? Is ur working priority N1
In 2001 I became disabled and lost my job, home, and everything i ever worked for. I applied for public housing and section 8 in nyc. It is 2013, I am still homeless, sleeping on couch to couch where ever someone has a spot for me to sleep for the night or 2. I am disabled, 55yrs old and getting more and more ill by the day. This way of life has seriously taken its toll on me. I worked from the age of 14yrs old and up till the day I became disabled. I am supposedly priorotized due to my age and disability and housing situation ( homeless) I still am homeless for over 12 yrs. I do not qualify for any of the nyc housing lotteries because my income is below the minimum requirement. so imagine...you applied in 2009? Thats only 4 yrs...I have been waiting since 2001.
I wonder will i be close to death or already dead before i have a place i can afford to live in and a home. This type of situation certainly makes death look like a wonderful place.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,169 times
Hi you guys my name is Nehemiah im from florida and im 20 years old and currently in college my sophmore year.i recently applied to public housing cuase i finally got a good paying job...but here is my situation i got kicked out of the dorms last summer cause it got to expensive....so i been staying with my aunt(shes 80) ever since here in harlem...i applied to nycha a month ago cause i had a strange dream that my aunt found out i was gay and kicked me out because of it and recently she's been acting strange shes been telling me to start looking for a place and that i have a few weeks to stay there and that im not on her "lease" also she's very religious and homophobic. So im staying prayed up and keeping the faith because im expecting to get the boot soon. so here are my questions since my priority is N4 and W2 how long will i been waiting because i put on there that im "street homeless" and that shes letting me stay there rent free because thats not my permanent residence. So say when that time comes and im kicked out...should i go to the shelter? because someone told me to because it will make my need based go down and they will help me out cause im working, going to school, and they might also help me being that i was desriminated against because i was gay.

im just trying to figure things out because honestly i cant stay in no one else's place no more...like it doesnt feel right have to be in fear constantly of being kicked out and i rather be independent and have my own. im just tryna live a good life and get my degree...and its sad cause she is my only family up here in NY

Old 09-12-2013, 08:21 AM

163 posts, read 485,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless still View Post
In 2001 I became disabled and lost my job, home, and everything i ever worked for. I applied for public housing and section 8 in nyc. It is 2013, I am still homeless, sleeping on couch to couch where ever someone has a spot for me to sleep for the night or 2. I am disabled, 55yrs old and getting more and more ill by the day. This way of life has seriously taken its toll on me. I worked from the age of 14yrs old and up till the day I became disabled. I am supposedly priorotized due to my age and disability and housing situation ( homeless) I still am homeless for over 12 yrs. I do not qualify for any of the nyc housing lotteries because my income is below the minimum requirement. so imagine...you applied in 2009? Thats only 4 yrs...I have been waiting since 2001.
I wonder will i be close to death or already dead before i have a place i can afford to live in and a home. This type of situation certainly makes death look like a wonderful place.
Have you contacted NYCHA because if you applied since 2001 and its 2013 you should've been called already the limit is 10 yrs and it's been more than that! Are you leaving out some information??

Old 12-10-2013, 12:48 PM

2 posts, read 6,199 times
I'm wondering if anyone comes on this post anymore. I read all 10 pages I wish the best of luck to all I applied for housing in October I upgraded my priority a few weeks later to n1 I was called for an interview on nov 27.. I became certified on dec 6 I am waiting for the letter in the mail. So far everything has been quick I hope it continues at this pace. I was told I was place on a borough wide waiting list for manhattan it's just me so I will have a studio. Did anyone move in besides the girl from Staten Island ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery