Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 10:45 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,756,711 times

Advertisements

I always have had the image of totalitarian governments of any stripe defined by some guy in
an over-the-top military uniform barking "Papers!!". When traveling by train from Prague to Vienna
in 2000, these guys in pale green uniforms came down the isle just like something out of a 1944
spy film. It was REALLY creepy.., I expected to see Paul Henreid jump out the window any
second closely pursued by Conrad Veidt..

I'll be riding the Harley through Arizona for most of the next two weeks and while I'll cough up
license, registration and insurance documents as required (cuz I think that's reasonable), if
some local yokel or Statz Polizei demands some sort of proof of citizenship, I may be on the
nightly news as the first test case.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:46 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,021,369 times
We are about 15 miles from Az as the crow flies and nope, haven't seen any migration heading this way.
NM does not have the ag business that AZ and CA has. Like no work..
oh, there is a lot of ad's for Census workers, and speaking Spanish is needed...hmmm. Come on over, Gov. R. would be happy.
HW

Old 04-25-2010, 12:43 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,312,960 times
I'm officially boycotting AZ. If they actually made something I could refrain from buying it but all they seem to manufacture are tea party transplants from CA. Will only visit NM when I'm down that way.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:20 PM

73,139 posts, read 62,851,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
You don't understand why it is in Mexico's best interest to prevent an influx from the U.S. back into Mexico?
Are you joking, or that naive???
I was asking how is it not in Mexico's best interest to prevent an influx of Hispanics into the USA.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:55 PM

13 posts, read 50,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james57 View Post
In my opinion, until the federal govt. does something about illegal immigration, all the border states ie CA,AZ,NM,TX will be subject to ongoing problems. Over the long haul, the situation will not be good for those living close to the border. There may be enclaves that seem OK, but i wouldn't want to be out in the rural areas after dark. Or am i wrong?
In general you dont need to be scared of illegal immigrants. They are here to work. They are no more subject to harm anyone than someone from U.S. who goes wrong in life. And border towns in US are ridden from crime brought by drug related exchange and that will probably not change for some time. A lot of people confuse illegal immigrants with these acts and they shouldnt. I do agree the govt needs to focus on drug exchange , but they need to chill out and quit attacking others who are here to escape a hopeless living in Mexico and give more of a chance. I mean US was created by this idea....

Old 04-25-2010, 06:37 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,047,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Asking for a driver's license or I.D. so they can determine whether you should be driving a car isn't the same thing as challenging you to produce citizenship. It should be none of the cops' business what my citizenship status is. It smacks of authoritarianism. If one asked me I'd tell him where he could go and what he could do to himself when he gets there.

well if someone is in the country illegally,they are breaking the law, whats wrong with checking?

I have to show ID when Im entering into the U.S. from Juarez,one time they were curious about me and held me for about 10 minutes, and Im not being a baby about it, its the law. I love my rights just as much as the next person but being in the country illegally is illegal, therefor they must take action.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:40 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,047,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
We are about 15 miles from Az as the crow flies and nope, haven't seen any migration heading this way.
NM does not have the ag business that AZ and CA has. Like no work..
oh, there is a lot of ad's for Census workers, and speaking Spanish is needed...hmmm. Come on over, Gov. R. would be happy.
HW

well its only been 2 days, I doubt the illegals are gonna migrate in flocks like birds flying South into NM as soon as they passed the law, give it some time.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:38 PM

I don't believe being in the United States without documents is a crime. Crossing into it may be but once these folks are well within the borders I don't believe they are guilty of a Federal crime. They can be deported as an administrative matter but it's not a prosecutable crime. Therefore it's not a police issue. Arizona made it a state crime so that's what they're going to be enforcing, which is unconstitutional since this is a Federal matter reserved to the Federal government, not to the states. They're not going to be enforcing a Federal law.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:39 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,880,399 times
The Arizona law does not take effect ubtil 90 days after it was signed which looks like Saturday, July 22, 1010.

Rich

Old 04-25-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
The Arizona law does not take effect ubtil 90 days after it was signed which looks like Saturday, July 22, 1010.

Rich
And I suspect it will be struck down by a Federal judge as soon thereafter as anyone is arrested under it, if not before that by an injunction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico