Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 09:47 PM

73,125 posts, read 62,950,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
As I read your response, ALL the paragraphs are in italics. Maybe it's just my PC..

A huge Spanish-speaking or Spanish heritage population dominating the demographics
of Arizona, New Mexico, California Nevada and Texas, (maybe not Utah)..

Surely you can work that out for yourself..
I was specifically talking about the last paragraph.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:52 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,055,850 times
Im sure New Mexico will see a boom in population, especially ABQ, CA is really expensive to live in and NM is arms wide open, Im sure TX will see a boost too but its kinda hard to tell there, they just continue to boom with people from everywhere.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:33 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,337,472 times
Those are the folks who will be paying for your social security and medicare. Just make sure you collect their taxes.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:47 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,759,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Those are the folks who will be paying for your social security and medicare. Just make sure you collect their taxes.
That's a point that is often badly and deliberately distorted in the controversy about
illegal immigration; basically a significant percentage (I'm tempted to say "majority"
but the data is too shaky), have formal jobs at retailers, food outlets, etc., and
every one of those people is paying taxes and social security.

I do not approve of illegal immigration, but some of the "truisms" that have been
flung about are not supported by what few hard facts are available.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:17 AM

9 posts, read 15,354 times
The matter of fact is that whoever is employing persons who enter the country illegally should be prosecuted and fined.

The cheap labor provided by the Mexican and Central American population has been lining someone's pocket.

Hit them in the pocket and hit them hard.

But I wonder why the employers are not pursued ...

It is always the money, the money, the money, the money ...

The rest of the argument is just ornamental.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:40 AM

331 posts, read 499,715 times
Well, with the illegal-friendly Richardson, I'm sure that there'll be a lot more illegals coming into Columbus than Nogales pending the Arizona law, and reciprocal New Mexican scoff.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:33 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,524,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
As I read your response, ALL the paragraphs are in italics. Maybe it's just my PC..

A huge Spanish-speaking or Spanish heritage population dominating the demographics
of Arizona, New Mexico, California Nevada and Texas, (maybe not Utah)..

Surely you can work that out for yourself..
Yes I can and don't call me Shirley

Old 04-25-2010, 07:30 AM

363 posts, read 1,046,228 times
I'm not worried about NM, as it has been a pipeline of northward migration for nearly a century. It's CO and eastward that is of concern. I'm afraid that prof in CA maybe right - regaining the lost territories would solve many of Mexico's problems, not ours. If I remember history - Mexico extended up the Kali coastline to just below San Francisco and across NV, UT & CO and down into TX. www.aztlan.net/default14.htm (broken link)

Used to be in most midwestern cities (250k +) when a cop stopped you they almost always asked for your id. My grandfather showed the cop his green card. That's not profiling, that's just following the law.

When the Feds don't enforce the immigration laws of the Union then it is left up to the states to create and enforce their own.

Last edited by plainsman48; 04-25-2010 at 07:42 AM..

Old 04-25-2010, 08:19 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,795 posts, read 4,172,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
How is it not in Mexico's best interest?

Can you also explain the paragraph that I put in italics? I would like to know more.
You don't understand why it is in Mexico's best interest to prevent an influx from the U.S. back into Mexico?
Are you joking, or that naive???

Old 04-25-2010, 08:24 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,337,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainsman48 View Post
Used to be in most midwestern cities (250k +) when a cop stopped you they almost always asked for your id. My grandfather showed the cop his green card. That's not profiling, that's just following the law.
Asking for a driver's license or I.D. so they can determine whether you should be driving a car isn't the same thing as challenging you to produce citizenship. It should be none of the cops' business what my citizenship status is. It smacks of authoritarianism. If one asked me I'd tell him where he could go and what he could do to himself when he gets there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico