Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2011, 06:27 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,885,779 times

Advertisements

I was trying to estimate the population density of the City of Socorro but I cannot find the area of the town. City-data has the area of the county but not the town. I would appreciate a number.

Thanks, GregW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 06:42 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,863,398 times
Density 626.8/sq mi (242/km2) on the right hand side of this page: Socorro, New Mexico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and

Population density: 619 people per square mile [LEFT]Read more: https://www.city-data.com/city/Socorro-New-Mexico.html#ixzz1c51RHa4v
[/LEFT]

I have always wondered how accurate those are...

Rich

Old 10-28-2011, 07:44 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,184,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I was trying to estimate the population density of the City of Socorro but I cannot find the area of the town.
As another way of seeing what the density is like, you might GOOGLE MAP and use the Satellite view to zoom in on the town, and then move around it.
Here is a "typical" view almost fully zoomed in, attached.

Last edited by joqua; 11-28-2011 at 07:35 AM..

Old 10-28-2011, 09:24 AM

I am nearly addicted to Google Maps and Street View. I just took a neat "flight" from Reserve to Magdalena.

I am debating in the New Hampshire thread about the desirability of remaining there or retiring to Socorro. Population density was part of the consideration.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:04 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,199,213 times
One thing that may not have been taken into account is the population density outside the town. In NH, I'm sure there's a pretty high ambient population density of people living on the various pikes and country roads but not in a town or city per se.

Socorro county, on the other hand, has an extremely small population outside of Socorro and the other little towns dotted throughout the county. This is particularly true as you move away from the Rio Grande in either direction. The degree of solitude that can be obtained is far higher than any Yankee could ever hope to expect.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:39 AM

Zoidberg -

We did notice that during our last vacation/recon trip. The housing density seemed to correlate with the availability of municipal water. Magdalena is a good example. The town is laid out on a tight grid and the San Augustine Plain starts right at the last house. The only houses in between are isolated ranch dwellings. Socorro is at a small city density while just across the Rio Grande is nearly deserted.

The New Hampshire layout is more complex. In towns like Londonderry there is an ill defined “town center” (actually three) in the midst of one to two acre residential lots. We do not have a problem with individual houses having on site water wells and disposal systems so there is no economy in denser housing. Actually there is but it is mostly ignored by people that thought they could afford the illusion of isolated country even with nearby houses. They are currently experiencing one of the big problems with this kind of low density suburban development as a severe storm just destroyed most of the power lines providing these people with electricity. They do not cope very well without water or heat.

My annoyance is the traffic congestion since we moved here created by three times the car population on the same old roads. At the commuting hour the roads become clogged. Another annoyance is the sky is never dark. Every one of these ex city folk wants to keep an outdoor light on all night. I guess they never used their night vision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico