Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 11:55 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,001,642 times

Advertisements

We are about 4 miles from pavement and the county road is now impassable (except for a 6x or a tank) and the snow/mud has caused ruts over 18 inches deep.
Should the county do something so the residents can get out for groceries, water, and med's??

I pay taxes and feel that I have the same rights as those in town to keep the roads open for emergencies et.al.

Do you have a similiar problem with your roads.
And NO we WERE NOT TOLD THIS BEFORE MOVING IN....

Thank you, Happy dry trails,

HW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 12:49 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,182,108 times
I think one reason people choose to live out in the boonies is because it forces them and enables them to live independently. Part of that trade-off comes from reduced services.

Your "rights" as you see them take much more time and much more money than town-dwellers. As a result, they'll plow the streets in town before they plow your rutted road. More registered voters in town.

I'm sure the county will get to that road after it gets the higher priority roads done. They are a limited number of people with limited resources. Apparently you have the ability to call for help should it be needed. Yes you pay taxes, but you get what you pay for.

"Not told this before moving in?" Seems to me most of the people on this board would agree that it's not anyone's responsibility to advise you about possible road problems during inclement weather when it comes to choosing a place to live.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:09 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,217,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
We are about 4 miles from pavement and the county road is now impassable (except for a 6x or a tank) and the snow/mud has caused ruts over 18 inches deep.
Should the county do something so the residents can get out for groceries, water, and med's??

I pay taxes and feel that I have the same rights as those in town to keep the roads open for emergencies et.al.

HW
Happened to us all the time in Moriarty. Be glad you're not in Santa Fe County... they've got to have some of the worst roads ev4r.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:55 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,592,916 times
Quote:
Did you ask, and if so, whom?

You should expect that a dirt road will turn to mud if it gets wet enough. You are not "entitled" to a paved road or a road that is in "paved condition"... that's just silly. You obviously paid less for property that was on a dirt road... now you know why.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:18 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,592,916 times
Some advice for getting out if you really need to is to hike to the paved road and have a friend pick you up... if it isn't too far. EDIT: Just saw you have 4 miles to pavement... that is a good hike!

I'm only ~.6 miles from pavement... but I'm also in town where the dirt roads are maintained pretty well. I think they use caliche which seems to only get soft and sloppy on the top couple inches... it stays solid underneath.

I have lived in a place that although the road was paved, it was on a north facing slope and would get a thick layer of ice that lasted all winter... if it was on the cold and wet side... like this winter. The road was also steep so driving any sort of vehicle wasn't possible. I managed to get the car down to an accessible road... and then hiked back and forth til spring. Then I moved.

I guess IMO this sort of thing is just something you need to consider when you buy or rent a place to live. Dirt roads, and steep and icy roads are simply not going to be accessible all the time.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:15 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,062 times
You are probably bottom of the Emergency Planning when it comes to snow storms. The County here has priorities and goes through them from top to bottom. Its pretty much tough luck unless there is an emergency of some sort.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:38 PM

502 posts, read 1,379,945 times
HW, i think I would check with the county and see if your road is listed as a county road or a county maintained road.
I know here if it is not a county road or they don't have an agreement with a subdivision or the forest service then they won't touch it.
In order to be a county maintained road and not belong to the county it must meet some particular requirements such as grade, width etc.
Good luck to ya!

Old 02-08-2010, 09:10 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,902,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
Happened to us all the time in Moriarty. Be glad you're not in Santa Fe County... they've got to have some of the worst roads ev4r.
I would give Torrance County the right to share that trophy.

So glad I am on a town road. We have gravel and occasionally see a snowplow.

mtncat made a good point - make sure you are actually on a public road and not a private one.

And this is a tidbit someone told me for future reference - if you buy property on a forest service access road, you can have very rural living but with fairly well maintained roads. Of course I would do a reality check in the winter on that before just taking that as the gospel truth.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:19 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,024,547 times
Hunter World- to me, this sounds normal, that is part of living out in the boonies, if you wanna live out there then you have to know and be prepared to put up with it. You are honestly the first person that I have ever heard complain about the roads in the boonies when snow or rain hit them. Im from a small town, I use to cruise the country roads all the time, summer or winter, I got stuck so many times or slid into a ditch that it was just expected, I never once thought that the city should be out here clearing the roads, thats just country living.

now a question for you- Did you move there from a city or a metro area? If so, I can understand why you are asking this question about the roads.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:38 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,234,947 times
Quote:

HW
Reminds me of 1963.
My father took all of us up to look at a property to purchase in rural Wisconsin, in a 1962 dodge dart.
What do you think happened?

We don't get that much bad weather here in Sierra County, but alwys see the highway department doing their thing during inclement weather.

You probably need to either move to the high desert, or buy yourself a tank or a hummer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico