Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 06:12 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times

Advertisements

Sounds like the "mud season" here in New England. Before paving nothing moved between the time the ice roads melted and the late spring dry out. In parts of Maine there were 2 ft gauge railroads built to provide mud season transportation.

Sounds to me like Hunter needs, in addition to a 4 wd truck, a small helicopter during this time of year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 06:49 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,234,947 times
I'd think a dependable 4 wheel drive would suffice.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:11 AM

502 posts, read 1,380,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
I'd think a dependable 4 wheel drive would suffice.
Alot of times it depends on the "type" of snow etc.
I drive a 1 ton dodge diesel, 4X4 with posi trac on the rear wheels and new aggressive mud and snow tires.
I ended up hiking into the ranch 2 days ago.
I have pushed snow with the front bumper of this truck this year but the last 2 storms were really wet. Only had about 18" on the road but it was packing and turning to ice so I did not get 20' inside the gate and that was all she wrote

Old 02-12-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncat View Post
Alot of times it depends on the "type" of snow etc.
I drive a 1 ton dodge diesel, 4X4 with posi trac on the rear wheels and new aggressive mud and snow tires.
I ended up hiking into the ranch 2 days ago.
I have pushed snow with the front bumper of this truck this year but the last 2 storms were really wet. Only had about 18" on the road but it was packing and turning to ice so I did not get 20' inside the gate and that was all she wrote
Wow. I too have pushed snow with the front bumper of my dodge before. I didn't like doing it because of the chance of getting high-centered and really stuck.

Maybe the county and state can help. I surely would ask. It could be a problem if emergency vehicles need to get in.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:17 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,002,068 times
Thumbs up Muddy roads, cont...

Well, the county road manager did come out and said "yes" we are responsible for the maintanence of this road and the others.
We WILL GET TO IT. Yes, this road needs new culverts and a base put on.

As soon as the weather permits, hope in a couple weeks they will start doing something, then this summer do more.

The county does have the $$ to do the work.

I said, the county should tap into some of the "stimulus" $$ for roads all over NM and put some folks to work....

The ole CCC did a lot of good, now if someone wants their welfare $ and they can do something (work etc) put them out there and then they get their $$ and contribute to the good.

HW....that's all I got to say about that.."FG".

Old 02-12-2010, 03:57 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,902,907 times
Good luck with your roads. NM has some bad roads. The old joke about you know you're from NM if directions to your house include "turn off the paved road" seems to hold true pretty much anywhere here except Albuquerque proper.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
Well, the county road manager did come out and said "yes" we are responsible for the maintanence of this road and the others.
We WILL GET TO IT. Yes, this road needs new culverts and a base put on.

As soon as the weather permits, hope in a couple weeks they will start doing something, then this summer do more.

The county does have the $$ to do the work.

I said, the county should tap into some of the "stimulus" $$ for roads all over NM and put some folks to work....

The ole CCC did a lot of good, now if someone wants their welfare $ and they can do something (work etc) put them out there and then they get their $$ and contribute to the good.

HW....that's all I got to say about that.."FG".
A cruel and insenstive remark:
Quote:
now if someone wants their welfare $ and they can do something
not to mention other reasons it doesn't fit into the whining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico