Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite kind of Chile??!
Chimayo Chile (Chili) 4 16.67%
Hatch Chile (Chili) 20 83.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 08:49 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,883,329 times

Advertisements

What was interesting this year is that the Chile Pepper Institute sent out packets of the "old strain" NuMex 6-4 (I think that was the variety). It came too late here for planting, but I might try one next season!

Speaking of red chile powder, I just picked the last of the bright red undersized Big Jims, dried them, and ground them to powder.

Great flavor (hot, too) and bright red color. Not typically used this way, but the pods were far too undersized to bother roasting and peeling. I had some fresh in salads, too.

The powder went immediately into the freezer. It will keep for at least 2 years in good containers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 09:52 AM

108 posts, read 378,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
Well, good for you, chile detective ...but on what do you base your assertion that there is a New Mexico Navidad Chile and your conclusion that you've found it? Some scientific reseach there or a hunch? If you're correct, fine by me, but I'm always doubtful of any claim of the one of anything.
That Holy Grail thing hasn't panned out very well, despite hundreds of years of effort and expense.
I'm sure the folks at the Chile Pepper Institute would be very interested in your chile, if they don't already know about it.
NMSU: The Chile Pepper Institute - Home

Some archaeological digs may have uncovered early, possibly viable seed stock, or at least some seeds that could provide some DNA insight into this, as has happened with the earliest corn ancestors. I know from spending time in some pretty remote areas of Oaxaca that ancestral strains can remain in hidden places for hundreds of years, so what you say is at least possible, despite being unlikely IMO.

The most popular chile varieties grown in New Mexico are fairly recent arrivals, as they were developed from old strains for modern farming techniques and food technology, really beginning with the work of Dr. Fabian Garcia in the 1890s. They're probably not my absolute favorites either, in terms of flavor, but they're also not "bell peppers".
Some recent NM chile variety history: http://aces.nmsu.edu/pubs/research/horticulture/RR719.pdf (broken link)

In another thread someone disparaged the poblano relleno, which I found kind of funny, as a good poblano chile makes a much more flavorful relleno, regardless of other issues I have with stuffing, cooking and saucing of common New Mexico chiles rellenos.
To each his Chile own, I guess , and good luck with your new line of Navidad Brand chile powder, pods, sauces and salsas
I agree with domino that it's the cook, not the chile variety, that makes the big difference.
The term "Navidad" was used by me, last night on a whim as a reference
to the "Christmas" answer for "Red or Green", and to reflect the fact that
this Chili is as enjoyable green as red - "Christmas!".

"The chile, grown locally since the 17th century, is close to
extinction. But if they get their way, Chimayó red might not only make
a comeback, it might wind up listed as a featured ingredient on the
swankiest menus in the country, like the Meyer lemon, the Vidalia
onion or the Key lime.

Marie Campos of the Santa Fe Institute for Native Hispanic Culture has
been working on the Chimayó Chile Project since April. She said that
although the chile has been famous for nearly 100 years, she's only
found five Chimayó families that grow the local strain."

Chile-Heads: [CH] From today's Santa Fe New Mexican newspaper - Chimayo

Sorry, no genetic testing possible as this is merely for my own interest.
All I can go by is growing habit, chili characteristics, and what I am told
by local growers.

And a little more backround -

Chile season: visit northern New Mexico in September and you'll find a region steeped in tradition, local pride, and the smell of freshly roasted chiles. Our recipes bring the flavor home | Sunset | Find Articles at BNET

Fiery Foods and Barbecue SuperSite - Pepper Profile: New Mexican Varieties

Chimayo chile pepper database

New Mexico Green Chili Pepper Red Chili Pepper (http://mfnmfoods.com/chili/index.php/New-Mexico/N.M.-Chile-Pepper.html - broken link)

We are talking about a beginning in the 1600's, and no digging is necessary
because occupation has been continuous.

Note: Once again "Christmas" was a description, not a brand name.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:58 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,727,882 times
I think this paragraph from the article you reference above really says it all . . .

But even in Chimayo, not everyone is as impassioned. "I think the difference is up here," town native Leona Medina-Tiede says, tapping her head. She's standing at the counter of her eponymous restaurant in a rambling shack next to Chimayo's renowned shrine, El Santuario de Chimayo. Medina-Tiede serves some of the state's best food, but she doesn't seek out local chiles for her stews and sauces. "The chile in the south is bigger and meatier, and the skin slides right off," she says. "My mom used to grow Chimayo chile. There were 11 kids, and we'd run out [of it] in the winter. Then she switched to Hatch chile, and it was just as good."

Old 09-18-2009, 10:47 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,181,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchro View Post
The term "Navidad" was used by me, last night on a whim as a reference
to the "Christmas" answer for "Red or Green", and to reflect the fact that
this Chili is as enjoyable green as red - "Christmas!".

Sorry, no genetic testing possible as this is merely for my own interest.
All I can go by is growing habit, chili characteristics, and what I am told
by local growers.

We are talking about a beginning in the 1600's, and no digging is necessary
because occupation has been continuous.

Note: Once again "Christmas" was a description, not a brand name.
Yeah, I got it that Navidad was a reference and a bit of a jest, which I was continuing by the reference to a line of upcoming products .... commercialization of Christmas, your obvious passion for chiles, etc..

I'd think that archaeological evidence would be all the more interesting because of the continuous occupation. Plants, whether by deliberate human intervention or natural accident, are always evolving and changing, with new traits sometimes coming from great distances at surprising speed. Centuries year old chile seeds would be a genetic window into the past, so to speak, and in the right conditions very old seeds can even be germinated.
A lot of good information can come from avocational explorations and study, so I wish you well in your interest with old chiles. And thanks for the links.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:04 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,373,234 times
I wish people would stop typing 'chili' when referring to 'chile'. I understand it is an easy typo but it introduces ambiguity as to what we are talking about (brown, meat stew or a fruit and the salsas made from them) and it kind grates on me like people who 'take things for granite'.

ABQConvict

Old 09-18-2009, 02:26 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,030,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I wish people would stop typing 'chili' when referring to 'chile'. I understand it is an easy typo but it introduces ambiguity as to what we are talking about (brown, meat stew or a fruit and the salsas made from them) and it kind grates on me .....

ABQConvict
Amen, I agree!

Old 09-18-2009, 02:30 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,181,513 times
Quote:
I wish people would stop typing 'chili' when referring to 'chile'. I understand it is an easy typo but it introduces ambiguity as to what we are talking about (brown, meat stew or a fruit and the salsas made from them) and it kind grates on me like people who 'take things for granite'.

ABQConvict
I'll agree with you about the different use of the two words, but will also point out that the Nahuatl root word for chile is chilli, with an i.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:31 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,727,882 times
Quote:
I'll agree with you about the different use of the two words, but will also point out that the Nahuatl root word for chile is chilli, with an i.
Nahuatls didn't use our alphabet, so how do we really know?

Old 09-19-2009, 12:45 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,252,967 times
Quote:

ABQConvict
Hopefully that was just a typo "granite". What about granted? Granite is what my counter tops are made of.

Last edited by JDTH; 09-19-2009 at 12:56 PM..

Old 09-19-2009, 01:29 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,373,234 times
Quote:
You are right, whenever I write in Nahuatl, I spell it with an 'i' ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTH View Post
Hopefully that was just a typo "granite". What about granted? Granite is what my counter tops are made of.
It was an intentional misspelling to illustrate my peeve about the spelling of chili/chile.

ABQConvict
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico