Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 08:48 AM

563 posts, read 1,499,599 times

Advertisements

So I don't eat the stuff or really know anyone who does. I've only been in NM for a few months and learned that my Cousin, who I'll be visiting for her wedding in September, loves green chili burgers. We were talking about the place in San Antonio, Buck Burgers?...

Any recommendations about what kind of Green Chili I could buy to gift to her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 09:08 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,798,868 times
You can buy locally canned "hatch green chopped chiles".... If she likes to put it on hamburgers etc. You can even buy it here at Walmart.

I really love "Hatch Green Chile Stew:

But have never found anyone else who has, they always say "Oh, we just make our own...."

Old Town has some shops which has various salsa's, but my secret is I go to Albertson's, Smith's or even Walmart and buy various salas's from New Mexico...

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 05-29-2011 at 09:16 AM..

Old 05-29-2011, 09:14 AM

433 posts, read 1,143,891 times
Chiles ought to be in season around then. If she has a freezer to store them why not give her a supply of roasted chiles to last her. My mom used to send me chiles for our anniversary. I even flew home one time with a box of green chiles as one of our checked bags(they were in a box). I would roast them over the grill and freeze them. If they are already roasted you can separate them in freezer bags or use a food saver and freeze them. If you are driving you can wrap them in a good amount of newspaper and store them in a cooler. I really like the cooler bags they sell at Sams Club. They will keep something cold for days. I have brought organic free range chicken from Minnesota to New Mexico and it was still frozen hard when I got home after the two day drive. If mailing ship them in a cooler with dried ice. Our grocery stores sell dried ice so you may be able to find it there.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:27 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,189,351 times
For "expatriate" chile lovers, I'd rank the gift choices from most thoughtful to worst as follows:

*Frozen fresh roasted in bags (preferably prepared by hand)
*Freshly roasted peppers
*Chile ristras
*Frozen or refrigerated in tubs (Bueno or Hatch brand)
*Canned chile

Old 05-29-2011, 10:47 AM

10,755 posts, read 23,847,920 times
I've actually mail ordered Roasted Green Chili's and other NM food knick knacks from this place. It's pretty good for those that want a taste of NM from away.

Green Chile, Salsa, Hot Sauces: Cannon's Sweethots Products

Old 05-29-2011, 11:02 AM

713 posts, read 1,846,818 times
Please, please. The New Mexico 'chile" is spelled with an "e". "Chili" is the stuff you get in cans by Wolf Brand or at a Tex Mex restaurant. There is much work right now by the state trying to ensure that the "chile" we buy is labeled correctly as to where it was grown. Let's please call it by the right name also.

BTW, OP. Just curious...where do you live in NM where you don't know anyone that eats green chile?

Old 05-29-2011, 07:23 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyLynn812 View Post
my Cousin, who I'll be visiting for her wedding in September, loves green chili burgers. We were talking about the place in San Antonio, Buck Burgers?...

Any recommendations about what kind of Green Chili I could buy to gift to her?
It's Manny's Buckhorn Tavern, San Antonio, NM

You can buy locally canned "hatch green chopped chiles".... If she likes to put it on hamburgers etc. You can even buy it here at Walmart.

Old Town has some shops which has various salsa's, but my secret is I go to Albertson's, Smith's or even Walmart and buy various salas's from New Mexico...

You might also look at this thread: Green Chile Cheesburgers, an exquisite treat from the Land of Enchantment, New Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phawk57 View Post
If she has a freezer to store them why not give her a supply of roasted chiles to last her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
For "expatriate" chile lovers, I'd rank the gift choices from most thoughtful to worst as follows:

*Frozen fresh roasted in bags (preferably prepared by hand)
Bags of frozen chile to store in a freezer, why not inconvenience the wedding couple even more, buy them some hamsters! They will eventually have kids, so let them become accustomed to chasing hamsters....

Rich

Old 05-29-2011, 07:45 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,189,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
It's Manny's Buckhorn Tavern, San Antonio, NM
Manny's been dead for some time; no mention of his name on the sign or in the establishment. Bobby (his son) brought the lion's share of the fame there.

Quote:
Bags of frozen chile to store in a freezer, why not inconvenience the wedding couple even more, buy them some hamsters! They will eventually have kids, so let them become accustomed to chasing hamsters....
If the couple has a deep appreciation for chile, and can't get it, I don't think they'd perceive it as an inconvenience. But it should definitely be shipped to them in appropriate packaging, rather than crammed into their overstuffed luggage.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:36 AM

121 posts, read 299,507 times
I would avoid giving canned green chile, its just not the same. Fresh roasted chile is the way to go or make something homemade with chile.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:34 AM

433 posts, read 1,143,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post

Rich
I don't know how it can incovenience anyone to have green chiles in the fridge. While the canned are ok I would much prefer them fresh or frozen. I like it when someone does something unexpected or thoughtful for me. The canned Hatch chiles are not necessarily sold everywhere throughout the US. When my DD's lived in Iowa and Minnesota they loved it when I was able to bring them the chiles because they couldn't even get good chiles there at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico