Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 07:07 AM

576 posts, read 2,307,138 times

Advertisements

Okay, don't laugh. This is serious business in our family. We've just moved to Clovis and my husband wants to drive over 300 miles to The Owl Cafe in San Antonio, New Mexico for what must be the best green chile cheeseburger anywhere. Considering the price of gas, I'm hoping to find something a lot closer to our new home.

I know you people out there have opinions about everything in our enchanting state--can you suggest the best green chile cheeseburger that we might find within reasonable driving distance? We will consider nearby Texas areas, too, even though they probably spell it "chili"--as long as they're serving the right stuff.

We'll be grateful for your help!

~clairz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 07:32 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,024,515 times
clairz:

The best green chile cheeseburger I have ever heard about (but not experienced yet) is at the Bobcat Bite Restaurant in Santa Fe, just a few miles down the road from our property. It's one of the first things on my list next time I get to NM. But Santa Fe is probably too far for you to drive for a hamgurger too.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:12 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairz View Post
Okay, don't laugh. This is serious business in our family. We've just moved to Clovis and my husband wants to drive over 300 miles to The Owl Cafe in San Antonio, New Mexico for what must be the best green chile cheeseburger anywhere. Considering the price of gas, I'm hoping to find something a lot closer to our new home.

I know you people out there have opinions about everything in our enchanting state--can you suggest the best green chile cheeseburger that we might find within reasonable driving distance? We will consider nearby Texas areas, too, even though they probably spell it "chili"--as long as they're serving the right stuff.

We'll be grateful for your help!

~clairz
My neighbor here in Midland grew up in Clovis, and her daughter just moved back from there. I'll ask them...and see what they say, LOL!!!

Old 07-29-2007, 11:38 AM

153 posts, read 759,330 times
FYI, if you ever do drive to San Antonio, it's NOT the Owl Bar that is the best place for a burger, it is Mannies Buckhorn Tavern, across the street from The Owl. Their green chile burger is bigger and 10x's better.

Old 07-29-2007, 01:24 PM

150 posts, read 791,976 times
Albuququerque based, Blake's Lotaburger has expanded greatly outside of Albuquerque, but mostly to the west and north.

There is a Blake's just off I-40 in Tucumcari, so there may be a Blake's coming to Clovis and Roswell soon!

Great Green Chile & Cheese burgers. Better than "The Owl!" Onion rings are tops too!

You are right, those darned Texans don't know chile from chili! LOL! I can say that having been one. Tex-Mex food is still great though, although so different from our "New" Mexician food! The chile thing again.

Old 07-29-2007, 02:21 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm_photojournalist View Post
Albuququerque based, Blake's Lotaburger has expanded greatly outside of Albuquerque, but mostly to the west and north...

You are right, those darned Texans don't know chile from chili! LOL! I can say that having been one. Tex-Mex food is still great though, although so different from our "New" Mexician food! The chile thing again.
EXCUSE ME? I have forgotten more about green and red chile than most people ever know in the first place...and I'm as Texan as they come, having been born here. Bowl of red (chili) also very familiar.....

Soon-to-be Texan New Mexico transplant...

And....the food in both places is great!!!!

Old 07-29-2007, 03:23 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,024,515 times
nm_pj:

Yeah! Blake's Lotaburger has a GREAT green chile burger. That is the first place we head every time we get to NM. I wonder how close the nearest one to Clovis would be?

Cathy: You are the exception to the rule of course!!! I spent nine years living in Texas, and my experience with the folks where I lived was that they really didn't know very much about chile. Chili - yes. Chile - no.

Old 07-29-2007, 03:27 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
I had my first green chile burger this past week in Timberon at the lounge and grill and it tasted good to me.
Fresh meat, none of the frozen crap.
I'm pretty picky about the burgers I eat.
Cheryl
(also a Texan getting ready to be a NM resident)

Old 07-29-2007, 07:06 PM

6 posts, read 31,488 times
Kelley's bar and grill on Prince street is good. Also Bills Jumbo Burger on Main street. Both are about the best here in Clovis, nothing like The Owl Cafe, try to go done there at least once a year while I am in Belen. Hope this helps out.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:22 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I'll second IN the Desert's comment - Try Manny's for the burger and say hellow to the stuffed mountain lion in the "non-smokers" section.

If they are still open the Casa Blanka B&B is really nice. Wait until you meet the resident peacocks in the morning. Unforgettable sound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico