Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 04:34 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,364,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
Note to self. When I move to NM next week, do not bring up killing rattle snakes, either pro or con. It's a very emotional topic!
Yes, best not to bring it up. In another, earlier thread, I was told to seek therapy for my dislike of snakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 04:52 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,364,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
I seriously doubt that the Einsteins that are provoking the snake are trying to "relocate" it. More likely tease it or the classic "Hey, watch this!" that usually preceeds some stupid self-induced injury.
Snakes don't move fast, are easy to maneuver into a cardboard box or bag with a long stick or similar tool. A rake works great, you can usually pick them right up and drop em in a container. I've done it plenty of times, have never come even close to being bitten.
As you can see by the stats. I posted previously, you're putting your family in far greater danger every time you get behind the wheel of a car to take junior and sis to the Dairy Queen. So I hope your family also comes before motorized transportation, the REAL danger in our lives, not the imaginary one.
Sorry but I am not personally getting close enough to a snake to relocate it. I will leave that job to the experts. I am sure with my inexperience I would get bitten and I am not willing to risk that.

As for taking "junior and sis to the Dairy Queen"....nada. I do not drive. Also, there is no Junior or sis here, just my precious grandson.

Maybe I better make that therapy appointment.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:49 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,280,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Sorry but I am not personally getting close enough to a snake to relocate it. I will leave that job to the experts. I am sure with my inexperience I would get bitten and I am not willing to risk that.

As for taking "junior and sis to the Dairy Queen"....nada. I do not drive. Also, there is no Junior or sis here, just my precious grandson.

You are not alone in this and catching and relocating a snake is a dangerous thing for an inexperienced person. I know here in Alamo if you can get ahold of animal control they will come out and get it but if it is at night I don't know what your chances are of getting ahold of anyone. We live right at the edge of the desert and so far have had scorpions and tarantulas, actually my dog kills both but am hoping we have no cause to see a rattlesnake. Although in May there was about a 4 ft one down the end of our street dead and my next door neighbor said they saw one a block down, so I know they are around. I have my kids checking before they walk about our front door since we have the rock yard so the warmth and if the snakes get to hot they can crawl up on our porch and cool off. Yuck

Old 07-21-2009, 11:56 PM

390 posts, read 952,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
The reference really says:

I seriously believe that is just your guess.

Rich
As a trauma nurse at the University of New Mexico, the bites I have seen have been unprovoked and, they have been due to an accidental encounter. For example, opening up an irrigation duct, removing logs from a wood pile, stepping out on the porch without looking and can go on and on. How about in a bale of hay, or removing eggs from a nest. Anyway, if a snake is around my house and can harm me, my family or animals then it will go. If it is away from the house it is fine. One must have some common sense here. Snake bites may not kill you but can disable. About 50% of the time they are "dry bites" but the other 50% can cause great grief. Just beware and take caution. Now will be quiet before I'm kicked off!

Old 07-22-2009, 12:27 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,180,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post

Snake relocation should probably not be attempted by anyone not confident in their ability to do so, so maybe you're better off whacking em with a 9 iron or calling the Fire Dept or Animal Control. I don't recommend shooting them, as firearms accidents injure or kill far, far more people than rattlesnakes.
If you re-read my post of 9:46 on the first page of this thread, you'll see that anyone, precious grandson included, is a thousand times more likely to be killed in a car or other motor transportation than by a poisonous snake, at least in Arizona (according to that source). The ride to grandma's is far more dangerous than any snakes that might lurk around her casa, according to statistics that I read. But it's also far more familiar, and certainly has great rewards for all concerned, thus we fool ourselves into thinking it's safe, when it's not. Kinda like people being afraid to fly on commercial jet aircraft when in fact the ride to the airport is the really dangerous part of the trip.
We live in a dangerous world, and willingly make choices to accept risk. You're well within your rights to decide what risks are or are not acceptable, as I'm within mine to agree with you or not.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:01 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,029,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
I just did a quickie Google of snakebite deaths, looking for info directly from the SW. Here is a paragraph, and some perspective, from a site about hiking in Arizona.
Note that a majority of bites were provoked by the bitee....probably some Einstein trying to pick up the snake by the tail or tease it. When such people succumb to their various idiotic adventures I call it thinning the herd.
Friday, March 27, 2009

Death from snake bite

There are 17 different species or subspecies of the rattlesnakes in Arizona. There were 202 rattlesnake bites reported to the poison control center at the University of Arizona (http://www.pharmacy.arizona.edu/media/uViewPressRelease.php?releaseID=13 - broken link) which serves all of Arizona, except Maricopa County during 2006. However, 50 to 70% of all snake bites reported were provoked by the person who was bitten. From 2002 to 2007, Arizona had about one snakebite fatality a year. For comparison, lightning killed 17 people in Arizona from 1990 to 2003, so you are in slightly more danger dying from lightning than from snake bite.

But to get a handle on reality, in 2007 alone, Arizona had 1,066 traffic fatalities. You are, at least, a thousand times more likely to die in a traffic accident than you are to get bitten by a rattler

who cares about all this, I say shoot em

maybe you can go lead a protest against killing them and then you can cry over the Bambi movie.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:00 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
When I do move out there I will sign a non-agression pact with the local rattler population and encourage them to keep the yard rodent free.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:53 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,250,936 times
Lawmom- Depends on where ya move to and who you're talking to. Rural, animal ownin' people seem to be on the kill the rattlers side. :-)

But Greg.....wouldn't waiting for the snake's signature fall under the teasing part? :-)

Old 07-22-2009, 08:52 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,280,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinroseranch View Post
lawmom- depends on where ya move to and who you're talking to. Rural, animal ownin' people seem to be on the kill the rattlers side. :-)

but greg.....wouldn't waiting for the snake's signature fall under the teasing part? :-)
I was thinking this and wondering how close he was willing to get to a rattlesnake to get the sig

Old 07-22-2009, 09:16 AM

557 posts, read 2,611,222 times
If we see the venonmous snakes anywhere near the house they'll be shot--period. Bullsnakes and the others are welcomed anytime. Has anyone used the product called "Serpent Guard"? Mothballs? to discourage snakes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico