Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 01:33 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,372,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
Note that a majority of bites were provoked by the bitee....probably some Einstein trying to pick up the snake by the tail or tease it. When such people succumb to their various idiotic adventures I call it thinning the herd.
In the other thread, you are telling us to catch and relocate the snakes. Make up your mind. If we relocate it and get bit, then we are idiotic. You can't have it both ways.

My family comes way before any damn venomous snake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 01:41 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,214,729 times
I have mixed feelings about it. I don't know whether it would have been practicable to hook the snake and take it somewhere else. It was probably best just to shoot it. However, it isn't like the snakes go out on people hunts. The snakes usually attack people as a defensive action when someone's foot comes down in the weeds next to them. But you certainly have a right to protect your property, whether they were there first or not (and at least in a general sense, they were).

Old 07-20-2009, 07:46 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,040,733 times
Im glad you killed that snake, I dont know why people would not want you too, its just a damn snake, and I would skin it and eat it too if I were you.

I think its stupid trying to bag it and take a chance at getting bit, then go waste your time and gas and relocate it, tease it then kill it. I use to.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:26 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,754,351 times
Yeah, it's great when Mudda Natecha and man can coexist without danger to
either, but if I found a poisonous snake heading for my chickens, that'd be it.

Finding one on a remote trail, I'd leave it alone and wish it well, but not in my yard.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:16 AM

229 posts, read 656,310 times
Hey there HW. can't blame you one bit. Last year had a copperhead damn near up on my front porch. Had to be 3 foot long. My nephew cought it and put it in a trash can and when I told him to take it to the pond and release it. NO instead he cut its head off and threw it down the road. I was pissed at that for that was wrong. But again, if it creating a problem then rid of the problem.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:23 AM

229 posts, read 656,310 times
They say that the green mohave rattler is worse than the dbr. All I know is that I don't want to meet up with any of them. It was bad enough to have a copperhead on the front porch.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:07 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,403,274 times
Drunk drivers and people who can make phone calls or text while driving can be dangerous and kill people. They are far more prevalent in all parts of the state than rattlesnakes.

Yet, I am not allowed to shoot them on sight. :-(

ABQConvict

Old 07-21-2009, 02:44 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,184,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
In the other thread, you are telling us to catch and relocate the snakes. Make up your mind. If we relocate it and get bit, then we are idiotic. You can't have it both ways.

My family comes way before any damn venomous snake.
I seriously doubt that the Einsteins that are provoking the snake are trying to "relocate" it. More likely tease it or the classic "Hey, watch this!" that usually preceeds some stupid self-induced injury.
Snakes don't move fast, are easy to maneuver into a cardboard box or bag with a long stick or similar tool. A rake works great, you can usually pick them right up and drop em in a container. I've done it plenty of times, have never come even close to being bitten.
As you can see by the stats. I posted previously, you're putting your family in far greater danger every time you get behind the wheel of a car to take junior and sis to the Dairy Queen. So I hope your family also comes before motorized transportation, the REAL danger in our lives, not the imaginary one.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:47 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,676,701 times
Note to self. When I move to NM next week, do not bring up killing rattle snakes, either pro or con. It's a very emotional topic!

Old 07-21-2009, 03:42 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,831,987 times
Quote:
However, 50 to 70% of all snake bites reported were provoked by the person who was bitten.
The reference really says:
Quote:
Leave snakes alone: 50-70% of reptile bites managed by the Arizona Poison and Drug Information Center were provoked by the person who was bitten—the person was harassing or trying to kill or capture the snake.

Quote:
I seriously doubt that the Einsteins that are provoking the snake are trying to "relocate" it. More likely tease it or the classic "Hey, watch this!" that usually preceeds some stupid self-induced injury.
I seriously believe that is just your guess.

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico