Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 12:02 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,798,868 times

Advertisements

Saturday, March 7, 2009 a cavalcade of as many as 100 Mexicans on horseback will cross north toward Columbus in a procession reminiscent of Pancho Villa's 1916 raid on the town. Pancho Villa State Park is hosting the Mexican riders, along with a group of Americans on horseback, Saturday for the sixth annual Camp Furlong Day, an event billed as promoting friendship and good will between the two countries. The daylong multicultural festival commemorates the March 9, 1916, pre-dawn attack by troops under Mexican Gen. Francisco "Pancho" Villa on the village of Columbus and the adjacent military barracks, Camp Furlong. A group making a 14-day ride from Guerrero, Chihuahua, to the Mexican border town of Palomas is expected to cross at the Columbus port of entry about 9 a.m. Saturday. Then, joined by several dozen American riders, the whole group will ride the final three miles north to Columbus, where mariachis will greet them. Festivities outside the park's museum will include live music and folklorico dancers, trick riding and military re-enactors, historical talks and food vendors. Admission to the park is free Saturday

Did it happen yet? Was anybody there? I wanted to go down. Maybe next year....

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 11:50 PM

464 posts, read 1,158,046 times
Hiya Poncho, could I ask where you read or heard about this?
Do you have a link? I'd love to read about it and learn more
myself!
Thanks for any more information

(I wonder if it was an "endurance" ride?)

Tia Dalma

Old 03-09-2009, 12:16 AM

A friend down in Las Cruces initially told me about it, then I saw it in the paper, ABQJournal, here is the article URL: Albuquerque Journal

The Pancho Villa State park had a PDF flyer about it also. It is listed on this page: February 2009 Media Releases

I wanted to go, but just could not make it...

Rich

Old 03-11-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
A friend down in Las Cruces initially told me about it, then I saw it in the paper, ABQJournal, here is the article URL: Albuquerque Journal

The Pancho Villa State park had a PDF flyer about it also. It is listed on this page: February 2009 Media Releases

I wanted to go, but just could not make it...

Rich

Thanks very much Poncho!
I hope they got that Adobe bug thingie fix today like they said! I was worried to open it earlier And I ain't talkin' buildin' material LOL
I'd luv to see this ride next year Without the sand plz LOL

Tia Dalma

Old 03-12-2009, 12:33 PM

Here is a short write up and a few pictures about the event:
Poncho Villa State Park - Columbus, United States Travel Blog

That's the best I could find.

Rich

Old 03-12-2009, 12:52 PM

Default Very Cool Blog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Here is a short write up and a few pictures about the event:
Poncho Villa State Park - Columbus, United States Travel Blog

That's the best I could find.

Rich

And such great pictures too! Thank you Rich
Love the parade LOL
I could not find anything on like the AERC (AREC? I get it mixed up LOL ) site yet about this, I need to check a few others endurance places. The riders keep blogs when they get time and are not exhausted. Something more might still show up about it. I don't subscribe to the listserve anymore, got too busy LOL. But they are fantastic to read during races etc.
I'll post it if I find anything!

Tia Dalma

Old 03-03-2010, 09:35 AM

Default Pancho Villa Returns to Camp Furlong

Short notice.... I just found out, looks like I will miss it again this year...

Folklorico dancers, mariachi music and a parade highlight Pancho Villa State Park’s annual Camp Furlong Day on Saturday (March 6, 2010), 9 a.m.-4 p.m., in Columbus, south of Deming on State Road 11.

The Camp Furlong Day event is a commemoration of the March 9, 1916 raid on the Village of Columbus, New Mexico by the troops of Francisco "Pancho" Villa and the subsequent "Punitive Expedition" led by General John "Black Jack" Pershing in an unsuccessful attempt to capture Villa.

The 11-month Punitive Expedition became a pivotal point in U.S. military history. It was the first time mechanized vehicles and aircraft were used in warfare, later playing a key role in preparing America for World War I.

Admission is free to the park the day of the event, although camping fees still apply.

Call 575-531-2711 or 1-888-NMPARKS or visit www.nmparks.com.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:59 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,201,242 times
I wonder why it's called Camp Furlong?

Yes, I received a notice about the event from the NM Tourism Department. Sounds interesting!

Old 03-03-2010, 01:15 PM

You got me on where the name "Camp Furlong" came from, I could not find out. But here are some sites worth visiting:

Historic Buildings of Columbus

Camp Furlong and Columbus, New Mexico, 1916 Panoramas, Pictures of

Rich

Old 03-03-2010, 08:04 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,757,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I wonder why it's called Camp Furlong?

Yes, I received a notice about the event from the NM Tourism Department. Sounds interesting!
I looked it up in Place Names of New Mexico which said that it is named after the measurement, a furlong, which is 1/8 mile, possibly because that was the distance of the camp from the border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico