Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 08:16 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,806,646 times

Advertisements

It is not uncommon for military bases to be renamed. You arrive, you have an encampment, the mission changes, stay longer, await orders, at some point it's called something like camp x then at some point its renamed to a post etc...

I never saw anything that actually indicated Camp Furlong was the name in 1917, my searches never indicated that Columbus existed before 1917, Camp Furlong may have been part of the Fort Bliss and Fort Huachuca string of installations, I know they existed.

Rich

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 08:55 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,920,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I never saw anything that actually indicated Camp Furlong was the name in 1917
This was posted back a few posts:
Quote:
Following the Villa attack on Columbus and the adjacent military installation, and as a result of a US Army troop buildup, the installation was called Headquarters, Punitive Expedition, US Army — Columbus, NM. After Pershing's expedition moved into Mexico, and as a result of supply and troop buildup at Columbus, the installation was known as Camp US Troops. This installation was named Camp Furlong by General Orders, No. 9, War Department, 1937. It was named in honor of Major John W. Furlong, 13th Cavalry.
Quote:
my searches never indicated that Columbus existed before 1917
From the COLUMBUS WEB PAGE:
Quote:
Columbus has an unusual and colorful history. The village was first established in 1891, just across the border from Palomas, Mexico. In 1902, when the El Paso/Santa Fe Railroad Line opened a station for Columbus, the residents moved themselves and their village three miles north to the present location.
Ft. Bliss and Ft. Huachuca were (are) permanent installations, thereby the name "Camp" Furlong, indicating it was never intended to be permanent.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:13 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,806,646 times
Sorry I should have said, I never saw anything that really proved Camp Furlong was the name in 1917.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:13 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,920,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Sorry I should have said, I never saw anything that really proved Camp Furlong was the name in 1917.
I went through the photo album I referenced earlier in this thread and none of the photos had the word "Furlong" on them. Other than the research of this historian, I don't know of other proof either but presume he has some basis for his claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico