Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2008, 06:46 PM

29 posts, read 95,131 times

Advertisements

I'm an avid road bicylist who would like to find a warmer place to ride in the winter than my current haunt of Gunnison, Colorado. Are there any road bikers out there who could say if there are any safe (i.e. paved, shoulders, acceptance of road bikers) back roads outside of Corrales that would be good for road biking? If not, what about Placitas or Albuquerque or another recommendation for road biking in central or northern Arizona. Thanks! Rebscott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 08:57 AM

908 posts, read 2,856,174 times
The roads around Corrales are either multi lane thoroughfares or windy two laners with some dirt for a shoulder, if you're lucky. It's a beautiful area to ride in, but safety wise there's not much margin. Most of the distance riders in town seem to end up on Tramway (NE), 528 (West Side) or the Bosque Trail (River valley).

Old 10-22-2008, 07:20 AM

29 posts, read 95,131 times
Default Thanks for the reply

Zia;

Thank you for the road biking info. You answered my question definititively. I definitely won't be headed to Corrales to road bike. Rebscott

Old 10-22-2008, 08:18 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,611,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebscott View Post
or another recommendation for road biking in central or northern Arizona.
Even though the northern parts of AZ and NM will be warmer than Gunnison in the winter, you might as well head a little farther south in AZ and find some truly outstanding winter weather. I'm not sure if Tucson is super bike friendly, but a fare number of pros go there to train in winter.

I do a lot of road cycling in and around Ruidoso NM and I think it's pretty great... as in good variety and scenery and not too busy, mostly courteous drivers, etc... but it will be getting pretty cold here soon. Avg highs of 50 in Jan are certainly tolerable though.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:51 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,227,920 times
Have you given this a once over:

Biking in Albuquerque - City of Albuquerque

Old 02-22-2009, 11:17 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,475,896 times
Check out Chico, California. Great road cycling culture and really quite affordable. The landscape around Upper Bidwell Park and the area to the east between Chico and Paradise really reminds me a lot of New Mexico
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico