Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 08:02 AM

10 posts, read 42,211 times

Advertisements

We are seriously contemplating a move from the Los Angeles area to New Mexico. We went over on a house-hunting excursion and saw things we liked in Corrales, Tijeras and Santa Fe. While in Santa Fe, in April, I fell in love with the ambiance of the Plaza and the views in surrounding areas. I also really like the homes and the views in Corrales, Tijeras, and Placitas. One thing that did stand out is that we can get much more house for our money in Corrales, Tijeras, or Placitas than we can in Santa Fe.

Of course we were only there a short time, and really have no idea of the community feel or the conveniences and inconveniences of these various areas. I know this is a general question, but I'm looking for opinions on the contrasting points of living in these areas. Would be find Santa Fe much more sophisticated than Corrales or Tijeras? Is Placitas too isolated? Is Tijeras less of a community and more rural than Corrales? I don't know. These are just a few of the million questions I have. I hope to receive many of your opinions and experiences.

Thanks!

Rex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 10:06 AM

946 posts, read 3,265,056 times
Default Relative

Santa Fe has the most expensive housing. What you get in Santa Fe is a concentration of the arts that can't be matched by any city of comparable size anywhere in the US.

The simplest statistic to give a feel for one aspect of the arts in Santa Fe -- a metro area of 140K is the US's third largest art market.

You also get in Santa Fe -- some restrictions on growth -- some assurance that you won't be living in a radically larger city somewhere down the pike.

Whether the arts and the growth restrictions are worth the higher price is entirely a matter of taste. You'll find people who are happy in all the places you listed.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:07 PM

10 posts, read 42,211 times
Thank you, very much. Your description of Santa Fe is what I found when I was there. I somehow think that I would feel comfortable living there. However, I spoke with a friend in the film business yesterday who left Los Angeles and has been living in Corrales for the past year, and he loves it there. I know I can get more house for my money there compared to Santa Fe, yet that doesn't rule out other factors. I am more interested in the positives, other than the arts, to living in Santa Fe versus Corrales or Placitas or Tijeras. Is it much more sophisticated overall, is there much less traffic and hassle because of its smaller size, or are the areas I've mentioned around Albuquerque just as nice on those levels?

Thanks again, and I look forward to hearing more opinions, too.

Old 05-25-2008, 02:32 PM

946 posts, read 3,265,056 times
Default Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexwriter View Post
Thank you, very much. Your description of Santa Fe is what I found when I was there. I somehow think that I would feel comfortable living there. However, I spoke with a friend in the film business yesterday who left Los Angeles and has been living in Corrales for the past year, and he loves it there. I know I can get more house for my money there compared to Santa Fe, yet that doesn't rule out other factors. I am more interested in the positives, other than the arts, to living in Santa Fe versus Corrales or Placitas or Tijeras. Is it much more sophisticated overall, is there much less traffic and hassle because of its smaller size, or are the areas I've mentioned around Albuquerque just as nice on those levels?

Thanks again, and I look forward to hearing more opinions, too.
A lot of this is subjective and I have not lived in the areas you mention and hesitate to make comparisons. I have no personal experience of, for instance, how sophisticated these other towns are. They are all part of the ABQ metro area I believe and thus should have the sophistication of being part of the state's largest metro area.

I suspect that as part of the ABQ metro area they will grow faster than Santa Fe.

Santa Fe does have a high minimum wage and extensive affordable housing programs. I think this shows a certain generosity of spirit.

Some will tell you that Santa Fe has bad traffic. All I can say is that census data indicates a low average commute time.

Of course, if you come to SF in July and August and drive to the plaza then you will find very bad traffic.

I hope others respond with better information about the other towns.

And generally you will get less house for your money in Santa Fe.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:12 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,422,967 times
Five years ago, I was in your shoes: moving from the Bay Area to either Santa Fe, Corrales, or Placitas.

I opted for Placitas because of its close proximity to Albuquerque (15 minutes) and Santa Fe (40 minutes), the wonderful views, and the open space between houses. I should mention that I live close to I-25. In some parts of Placitas, it takes 15 minutes just to reach the Interstate.

Corrales came in a close second. You can't beat the community spirit in that town, the wonderful growers' market, and the wineries, restaurants, and San Ysidro Church area.

Santa Fe real estate removed the City Different from my list rather quickly. I was moving from area with over-priced houses and had no desire to find myself in a similar situation.

Good luck in your search.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:31 PM

429 posts, read 1,476,884 times
I feel the same as NMGuy - we'll be moving (hopefully) from the Seattle area and while I love Santa Fe, I think we'll be closer to ABQ due to housing prices (and the sad fact we still have to work a few more years). We really loved Placitas as well, we drove through but didn't really look at Corrales, but I think we might.

We also liked Tijeras and Sandia Park area (mainly because it was a lot like Placitas but a smidgen cheaper).

We timed the commutes from both places to the airport as that looks like the area where my husband will most likely be working. Both were about the same - although our test was flawed as we didn't drive them the same time each day. :-( From Algodones it took us 40 min to get to the airport. We left at 7:55 Am and had traffic from three car accidents to contend with & still made it in 40 min. By Seattle standards we were flying along.

I'd like to learn more about Correlas as well.

Good luck house-hunting.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:06 AM

96 posts, read 410,187 times
Rexwriter: Ditto! We are leaving for NM in early July (provided our sale of our house in Los Angeles goes thru without a hitch as we are just entered escrow last week).

We also looked at Corrales, Placitas, and the East Mountains. We also need to work for a bit more and so didn't go for Santa Fe as we'd like to be close to the center of Abq and the airport.

We will take another short trip in June to check out houses in Cedar Crest (along highway 14) as I think we've settled on the East Mountains area. Reasons: better value for a large home (many fairly new) plus large lots (1-2 acres is normal) that should give us more space and a large bird garden. We know it snows more there, but since we work at home and don't have to commute, we'd rather trade the colder winters for the cooler summers. The demographics for Cedar Crest also sound a lot like us (lots of techies and people who work from home!). And we've even found a few houses that are "green-ish" in design.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:11 AM

96 posts, read 410,187 times
By the way, the reason we didn't pick Corrales is that we felt the traffic was pretty bad going over the river, and it took a long time to drive (slowly) up to the village. We timed it at 30 mins from the center of Abq (basically the 25/40 split). We could get to Tijeras exit in 15 miles in 15 minutes. Maybe this isn't normal, and we do need to time them again. Other comments on traffic welcome. We did like the artist community in Corrales though, so we haven't totally ruled it out. However, if you head up Highway 14 there is a great art community in the old ghost town of Madrid with even better galleries (and traffic flow) and from there you can travel north on 14 to Santa Fe without having to go thru Abq center.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:03 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,984,496 times
Wink All rather different

I'd pick the area you are happiest with, as all are different. It really depends what you are looking for.

Santa Fe will be the most sophisticated and artistic, and likely expensive, as you noted, although none of the others (but not entirely sure on Tijeras) is exactly cheap. Santa Fe would also be climatically unique from the others which basically share Albuquerque's climate, if Tijeras slightly higher.

What kind of access would you prefer, and to what? Cerrillos Rd through Santa Fe is often not a lot of fun, but from many locations in or near town you needn't frequent it or the other major arteries. If so situated you might enjoy a pleasant stroll to a favorite cafe, etc. Placitas has a small shopping area, Corrales likely similar, not sure about Tijeras, but from any of those three you may end up driving some distance. And if commuting that an altogether different matter.

If the necessity of traveling to Albuquerque proper you would have to deal with the distance from Placitas and a lot of gravel trucks to go with the other interstate traffic. If from Tijeras the many trucks on I-40 and also at times inclement weather in winter. If Corrales the very few options in bridges across the Rio Grande which are no fun come rush hour. But your schedule may be different; if you can pick and choose any of these locations is feasible.

Corrales feels like a little slice of gentrified country within a metro area to me. Quite nice if one likes horses and such things, a certain quiet, and can afford it; more would surely live there if they could.

Placitas is of course more high and dry, but fairly uniform in large, lovely southwest style houses with often magnificent views. Pricey and nice, surely quiet, and just a different setting and feel from Corrales.

And Tijeras, well, maybe you'll like it.

If Santa Fe is enticing but price a major factor it is possible to live a bit removed from town at significant savings. One possibility is a bit east of town off I-25, which puts one higher up within piñon and juniper, pine and aspen if you go high enough.

The town of Tesuque is another possibility. It is situated about 8 miles north of the Santa Fe plaza, off US 285. One might take that highway or a much quieter back road into Santa Fe. Tesuque is no bargain and a desirable area, but compared to these other selections comparable and perhaps that sought. Some shopping but basically rural and for most things one would travel to Santa Fe.

All in all, Santa Fe and Albuquerque are just different places in weather, culture and feel. Even if price is so often a consideration, in this instance the difference enough it probably advisable to consider options in the general area one feels most at home.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:37 PM

286 posts, read 1,321,963 times
Moving to NM can be a lot of fun, but it seems like there are just too many great places to move to. Just some comments from a recent transplant to the land of enchantment. I'm afraid I can't give insight into Tijeras or Santa Fe, but I do have some comments on Corrales and Placitas:

Prior to moving north, I lived on the west side. I found Corrales to be a beautiful community. I have several friends who live there and love it. There are restaurants and shops in town, and the scenery is beautiful, since you're close to the river and have trees and mountain views. You are also close to "civilization", so if you want a grocery shop in a bigger store, or need a Flying Star Coffee (and dessert) fix, you can get to it relatively quickly. Commuting can be an issue, but how bad it is really depends on your point of view. I'm from NY, so my view is that traffic is manageable.

Placitas is also beautiful, but as NM Guy points out, you need to be closer to I-25 to make it an easier commute, and the farther away you are, the higher you go, so snow can be an issue in the winter, even if it's just a dusting in the morning. It has beautiful scenery, and the views of the mountains are truly unique. However, there is not much commercial development in town. There are a couple of restaurants, and a few small shops in town, but no grocery store, etc. so you do have to drive into ABQ or Bernalillo to shop. It's a lifestyle choice, and one that many are happy to make, but it is a distinct difference.

Good luck with the search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico