Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 02:13 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,527,093 times

Advertisements

Gee there has to be other places in New Mexico without the lease problems and the lake pollution. What about the area around ruidoso?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 06:43 PM

2 posts, read 2,613 times
New guy here.

My wife and I are considering relocating to the Santa Fe area from Portland, Oregon. I'm retiring from my job in high tech and she's looking to enter the Art Therapy program at Southwester College.

I've been spending a lot of time looking at listings in Cochiti Lake. I'm surprised by the low prices. We visited the town a few months ago but never had the opportunity to tour any homes. We're looking to go back in a few weeks and view a few homes. I have a few questions as I get started on my search:

* The land lease - is it true that it runs $101/month and is paid quarterly?

* What kind of high-speed internet services are available? Given the location and distance from Santa Fe and ABQ, I doubt that fiber has found its way to Cochiti Lake. Do most people use satellite internet services? If so, do they seem fast enough for something like NetFlix streaming?

* What's the nearest reasonable grocery shopping available to residents?

* Are there opportunities for community involvement and volunteering? As a retiree, I may be interested in getting trained as a volunteer firefighter.

Any answers or additional info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

--pete

Old 08-07-2015, 07:45 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,783,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I see 20 or less houses for sale...

Is that the HOA fees? I saw most were $303 (I guess per month) one was less and one was listed as "HOA Fee: $2,019"

It's a 20 mile drive to the Interstate, and then your still in the middle of nowhere. The roads were asphalt, but a bit rough for me, once on a motorcycle, another in a van. Just not what I want. Probably over 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4_everyman View Post
* The land lease - is it true that it runs $101/month and is paid quarterly?
Today I see a 3 beds 1.5 baths 1,964 sqft, home for $135,000 in Cochiti Lake, NM 87083
It shows "HOA Fee: $273/mo"

I see another home with "HOA Fee: $303/mo"

Realtor.com, Zillow.com and Craiglist.com are the only real estate sites we allow here because they are general in nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4_everyman View Post
* What's the nearest reasonable grocery shopping available to residents?
I would say Bernalillo, NM about 33 miles.

Their website is at cochiti-lake-3. Read it very carefully it's the best info I've seen.

The town does have a volunteer fire and emergency management services in town.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:29 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,598,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
Gee there has to be other places in New Mexico without the lease problems and the lake pollution. What about the area around ruidoso?
Lakes are scarce in NM.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:54 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,167,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
Not sure what you're asking? There is no "lake frontage" in Ruidoso, and only Lake Mescalero is actually large enough to be worthy of the "lake" designation. The others, like Bonito and Grindstone (as well as Lake Mescalero) are actually reservoirs.

As far as HOA's in the Ruidoso area, MOST of the residences are not in HOA neighborhoods, although there are plenty of options if that is what a buyer prefers - private country clubs, condos and gated communities.

There are plenty of home and trailer sites available around Elephant Butte reservoir abutting the town of TorC. That is the largest body of water in NM - albeit a reservoir subject to wide fluctuations in water levels over time.

Old 07-17-2016, 04:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,143 times
Been here two years. 2 snowstorms over 1 inch. Both melted in on day. One was 12 inches. Next day, gone. Really nice people here. Have seen small mtn lion,coyote, deer, was one time a bear come through town. Rattlesnake at the golf course, couple of tarantulas, not in town but not far out. So prepare to see the variety of creatures.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:56 PM

887 posts, read 1,216,042 times
Ran into this the other day. The story is dated as to when it was written but probably not much has changed. Interesting background if nothing else.
https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,1552616&hl=en

Old 08-22-2016, 05:23 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,783,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by threecats407 View Post
Ran into this the other day. The story is dated as to when it was written but probably not much has changed. Interesting background if nothing else.
https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,1552616&hl=en
Interesting! Thanks for posting threecats407. I had not seen that article which comes from "The Register-Guard, Eugene, Oregon, Friday June 7, 1996".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico