Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 10:58 AM

2 posts, read 7,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nambe View Post
How I found this site I will never know. I am from Kittery Point, ME and am living (temporarily) in Taos. I googled Cochiti Lake and am going there tomorrow to check out the possibility of moving there PRONTO! I am a dedicated kayaker and need water nearby. I can't believe I jumped onto this site and find so many Nueva Hamphire sorts.

Any advice for a self-employed artist in a new world would be much appreciated. [No Advertising]

Look forward to hearing any comments.........and, looking forward to moving south.

Ann
I may be misunderstanding the reservation rules, but there is a statement about not taking photos or doing drawings on the Res. Not sure if that applies to the lake and developed area, but it does seem odd if it does.
I'm not a pro, but do stetch and photograph.
It's the only hesitation I have about the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 11:42 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Posts in other threads Related To Cochiti:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT2NM View Post
My wife and I (she 48 me 38) love so many things about living here in Eldorado. We won't stay however. We'll probably buy a house in Cochiti. We'll give up the convenience of all Eldorado has to offer and proximity to our jobs, but Cochiti appears to have more potential to get to know people just by virtue of the proximity to neighbors. Golf and the lake are a mile away, as is all Albuquerque and Santa Fe have to offer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
I have been to Cochiti. While I LOVE the scenery and the expansive views out there, the housing area would not be for me. The houses are close together on small lots -- just what I left behind after 38 years of living like that in Texas, Michigan and Kansas. Cochiti seems VERY isolated for a person who likes proximity to the city and its amenties. I guess if you like to fish or play golf, Cochiti would be the place. To me it lacks all the charm of Eldorado.

But it's a good thing we don't all love Eldorado or all love Cochiti -- then we would all want to live in the same place and that would not be possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSantaFe View Post
VT2NM said:" We'll probably buy a house in Cochiti."
Just a reminder that the houses there are on Cochiti Pueblo land which is leased - not owned - by the homeowner. The lease is up in 2068 and then, according to its terms, the land and all buildings on it revert back to the tribe. Land lease costs each homeowner $239/quarter or almost $1000/yr.
Perhaps the tribe will extend the lease for another 99 years - or not.
Cochiti seems like a nice community, with easy access to boating, fishing and golf. It's about 30 minutes into Santa Fe. Housing costs are comparatively low. Only wrinkle might be that you don't own the land your house sits on, so depending on how close to the end of the lease it may be difficult to sell the house - and it's not something you could leave your heirs with an assurance of future value.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExSIgirl View Post
your post got me curious to check on Cochiti. Seems a few NHers have landed there. You should be able to find something in common with other New Englanders. But for me the housing stock seems too close. To each his own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVSG View Post
I opted to live in Cochiti Lake for its beauty and safety. Cochiti has a lake and is close to Tent Rocks. People visit or choose to live here to be away from the city. It's a half hour drive to SF and an hour away from ABQ. I love the fact that it's far enough and in between both cities. I also live the fact that it's safe and has no crime, one of the few places where leaving doors unlocked is common. The town of Cochiti Lake is not to be confused with the Pueblo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVSG View Post
Cochiti Lake is very friendly too. People here help each other out and are protective of the neighborhood. I consider it one of the best hidden and the few Mayberry towns left. Fishing, hiking, and those that enjoy a peaceful lifestyle are residents (retirees).

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 04-30-2015 at 05:05 PM..

Old 04-30-2015, 04:31 PM

5 posts, read 8,803 times
Default Why so much for sale in Cochiti Lake

My wife and I are thinking of moving back out west (I used to live in Santa Fe) and are looking at Santa Fe, Albuquerque and points in between.

One of the places we've considered is Cochiti Lake, but are concerned as to why there are so many houses for sale in Cochiti Lake, especially for such a cheap price? I know there are the lease terms, and the strong possibility that the pueblo won't extend the terms, but doesn't seem to account for the high number of houses for sale, for a cheap price. Anyone care to comment?

Old 04-30-2015, 05:02 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,180,690 times
As someone who's never been out there but known people who have lived out there, it's simple.

People buy houses there thinking this is the ideal place to live in NM. They want to live in an isolated community.

That gets old. The nearest grocery store to Cochiti Lake is in Bernalillo or Santa Fe, a full half hour away.

Medical care, proximity to friends and relatives who for some reason never want to visit, frustration with winter weather, and sometimes just old-fashioned death causes people to put their houses up for sale to move to Albuquerque or Santa Fe.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icanseeformiles(andmiles) View Post
One of the places we've considered is Cochiti Lake, but are concerned as to why there are so many houses for sale in Cochiti Lake, especially for such a cheap price? I know there are the lease terms, and the strong possibility that the pueblo won't extend the terms, but doesn't seem to account for the high number of houses for sale, for a cheap price. Anyone care to comment?
I see 20 or less houses for sale...

Is that the HOA fees? I saw most were $303 (I guess per month) one was less and one was listed as "HOA Fee: $2,019"

It's a 20 mile drive to the Interstate, and then your still in the middle of nowhere. The roads were asphalt, but a bit rough for me, once on a motorcycle, another in a van. Just not what I want. Probably over 10 years ago.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 05-03-2015 at 10:12 AM..

Old 04-30-2015, 05:34 PM

Not posted before:

Cochiti Lake Web Site

Old 05-01-2015, 11:50 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,451,584 times
The lake is also much smaller in recent years than it was when the townsite was platted, and seems to have less recreation going on...maybe that has something to do with it too?

Old 05-01-2015, 06:43 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,403,355 times
Not just Cochiti Lake, lots of houses for sale just about everywhere in New Mexico.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:01 AM

887 posts, read 1,214,621 times
and the strong possibility that the pueblo won't extend the terms,
That is a huge issue and perhaps there are rumors to that happening. I suppose they would have to have a good reason not to extend and lose that income though. I drove through there once. As was said, being isolated can get old real fast no matter how great it seems on paper. Some nice looking homes though from what I saw on line some time back.

I wonder if part of the reason the prices are low is because of the property issue. From what I gathered is that you do not really own the land the house sits on. From what I have seen the actual land is often worth far more than the home that sits on it in many areas of the country.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:32 AM

733 posts, read 852,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairz View Post
My husband and I live in New Hampshire and plan to retire to New Mexico in a year or two. We lived in Las Cruces for a year in the 90s and have decided that we would rather be in the northern part of the state. We have been researching the Town of Cochiti Lake, have visited there a couple of times, and have talked and emailed with residents about life there.

The town is the right size, and it seems like it would be fairly easy to become involved in the community. We like the area, the lake, the available housing, and the peace and quiet.

On the other hand, I wonder about potential problems with leasing land.
Do any of you know anything about the Town of Cochiti Lake?
We called it "Cochiti Puddle." Man, it's tiny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico