Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 11:01 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,343,807 times

Advertisements

I have fouond different spiders and snakes have a different affect in each state. I live in eastern oklahoma and have been bitten many times by scopions which I thought were deadly but didn't do much but wish you were dead for about 20 minutes.

All my dogs and horses have been bitten by cooperheads and one of my horses was bitten by a timber rattlesnake and that was a bad reaction but the copperheads didn't do much but swell up.

My daughter had a strange bite and I treated it thinking it was fungus well....she is a nurse now and it was a brown recluse spider which are all over the place here (I live on a ranch). It took about a half an inch of her skin away which is permanent but nothing else.

Thinking of retiring in Northern New Mexico and visit every September and I saw mosquitoes and rattlesnakes. I wonder if the snakes are more deadly there. I love Santa Fe and hope to live about an hour north of santa fe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 11:24 AM

193 posts, read 812,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post

Thinking of retiring in Northern New Mexico and visit every September and I saw mosquitoes and rattlesnakes. I wonder if the snakes are more deadly there. I love Santa Fe and hope to live about an hour north of santa fe.
I wouldn't say our snakes are any more deadly than other states who have similar types. I have lived in various parts of NM for most of my life and do not know anyone who has been bitten by a rattlesnake. A fair amount of people I know have seen them (I don't think I ever have though), but haven't been attacked. Usually when I see a snake I just stand still until it starts moving along again, then I go on my way. The other day I was bringing in groceries and almost stepped on a little guy (regular garden / garter snake). He was so funny, we both were staring at each other the same way like saying "yipes!" , then after a second we both kept on moving.

Bull snakes are really funny, poor baby's aren't poisonous, so they shake their tale around and fake a rattle noise. Several people I know have seen that little performance, and after recovering their wits, had a good chuckle.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:51 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwishfan View Post
I wouldn't say our snakes are any more deadly than other states who have similar types. I have lived in various parts of NM for most of my life and do not know anyone who has been bitten by a rattlesnake. A fair amount of people I know have seen them (I don't think I ever have though), but haven't been attacked. Usually when I see a snake I just stand still until it starts moving along again, then I go on my way. The other day I was bringing in groceries and almost stepped on a little guy (regular garden / garter snake). He was so funny, we both were staring at each other the same way like saying "yipes!" , then after a second we both kept on moving.

Bull snakes are really funny, poor baby's aren't poisonous, so they shake their tale around and fake a rattle noise. Several people I know have seen that little performance, and after recovering their wits, had a good chuckle.
The rattling of the tail is quite common in many snakes. My kingsnakes also rattle their tails when theyre agitated, its cute!!

And rattlesnakes wont attack anyone unless you provoke them. A lot of people seem to think that rattlers will chase you off and attack you, which is entirely false. They will stand their ground, no doubt, but wont attack unless provoked. 99.99999% of the time they slither off in the other direction, they dont want any kind of confrontation.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:17 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
The rattling of the tail is quite common in many snakes. My kingsnakes also rattle their tails when theyre agitated, its cute!!
Actually, that's true....and all of the things that hognose snakes pull to try to intimidate you are quite funny....making like a cobra, playing dead, etc.!!

Old 08-14-2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Actually, that's true....and all of the things that hognose snakes pull to try to intimidate you are quite funny....making like a cobra, playing dead, etc.!!
I love when they play dead, especially when they hang their tongues out.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:48 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I love when they play dead, especially when they hang their tongues out.
And even funnier.....when you try to turn them over (Sis was moving one out of her yard one day) and pick them up, they'll turn back over and hang their tongues out again...LOL!!

Old 08-15-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
And even funnier.....when you try to turn them over (Sis was moving one out of her yard one day) and pick them up, they'll turn back over and hang their tongues out again...LOL!!
Ive never picked one up before, Ill have to try that. I think theyre cute snakes to begin with, but their little "play dead" routine really makes em that much cuter.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgtfc View Post
I not normally fearful of spiders and don't have any problem with them, except the brown recluse types. Even if their bites are rare, I get very nervous about seeing them in my home. I live in Missouri and every home I have been in has seen at least 1 of these at some point. Usually in the bathtub for some reason.

I read that the brown recluse spider doesn't exist west of the Rockies, with no mention of them particularly in NM (though they do exist in Texas). I am planning on moving to ABQ and I was wondering if they have them there?

Also I have heard of something called a Desert Recluse spider but cannot find anything on them other than that they live in the SW desert areas. Does anybody have experience with them and are they known to get into homes and hide in clothes and such like their relative the Brown Recluse?
I think they are about everywhere now days: they are in NM, TExas and here in AR, but I have yet to see one.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico