Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2008, 09:52 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,184,143 times

Advertisements

There are Brown Recluse Spiders in New Mexico. They have a much worse bite than a Black Widow, though BWs get all the sexy publicity.
I know a guy in Mich. who was salvaging wood from a granary and got a dozen or so bites (just wearing shorts and boots on a hot day). He was in the hospital for 10 days and needed skin grafts.
My wife has a quarter sized scar from one.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 09:01 AM

7,340 posts, read 2,747,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
There are Brown Recluse Spiders in New Mexico. They have a much worse bite than a Black Widow, though BWs get all the sexy publicity.
I know a guy in Mich. who was salvaging wood from a granary and got a dozen or so bites (just wearing shorts and boots on a hot day). He was in the hospital for 10 days and needed skin grafts.
My wife has a quarter sized scar from one.
My daughter had to go through the skin graft thing also; she has a scar on her calf about 3 inches long and 2 inches wide. The "good" thing was she got to use her experience as a science project!

Old 08-13-2008, 12:54 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,614,691 times
I have seen a ton of black widows in NM. I hate the things, and kill them on sight. You spider lovers should not waste time trying to convince me that these evil insects have some beneficial purpose, I'm going to continue to exterminate them.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:17 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,454,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
I have seen a ton of black widows in NM. I hate the things, and kill them on sight. You spider lovers should not waste time trying to convince me that these evil insects have some beneficial purpose, I'm going to continue to exterminate them.
Do you know what they eat? Mosquitos, other spiders, centipedes, scorpions, bees, cockroaches, etc. Seriously, they wont bother you. Female widows pretty much live their entire life on their web, its not like they come off of it and roam for humans to bite.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:43 PM

5 posts, read 36,494 times
There are TOO many brown recluse spiders in Albuquerque. My ex's frat brother was bitten by one and it took him months to recover. My best friend had a woman staying at her place who was bitten too. They are devastating bites that destroy the flesh. Coincidentally, these two places were in the same block of Alvarado just south of Zuni. But these are not the only cases I have heard of, just the ones I know of first-hand. I would suggest getting in contact with UNM Hospital and/or Lovelace to get the real stats, or checking online for them. They are a real danger in that area, and NO ONE ever sees them first. Good luck. Oh yeah, don't even ASK about hantavirus or plague...

Old 08-13-2008, 09:04 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,184,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
I would have thought a Vinegaroon would just EAT them....

Old 08-13-2008, 09:41 PM

193 posts, read 813,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgtfc View Post

Also I have heard of something called a Desert Recluse spider but cannot find anything on them other than that they live in the SW desert areas. Does anybody have experience with them and are they known to get into homes and hide in clothes and such like their relative the Brown Recluse?
As for NM in general, I was told this weekend by a nurse via the nurse helpline (phone in hotline) that we do indeed have recluse spiders in NM. My 7 yr old got bitten by something on Sat, and it looked A LOT like new brown recluse bites that I found online, so I called in to get some advice (we're 100 miles from the nearest hospital or after hours clinic). In her case it seems to not be a recluse bite as she has not had any symptoms, and the bite is getting better. Though it could have still been one, as some people who are bitten do not have any adverse symptoms or complications, the bite just heals like any other minor bug bite.

The best advice would be to be aware of prevention, from bites and from having them around in the first place. One site I found said that recluse spiders like to eat dead bugs, so to be sure and dispose of dead bugs as soon as you see them. It also said to vacuum webs and to right away empty and throw away bag outside (to prevent eggs from hatching indoors). These were in addition to regular tips such as having a care near wood piles and stuff. This site also mentioned that these are not aggressive spiders and that they usually only bite when touched, squashed (rolled over in bed, stepped on in shoes) or moved.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:44 PM

68 posts, read 257,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwishfan View Post
The best advice would be to be aware of prevention, from bites and from having them around in the first place.
You're so right. It's a good idea to keep things moved around outdoors...clean, de-cluttered, weed-free. And, by keeping your indoors vacuumed/dusted daily, or as regularly as you possibly can, does help to keep most unwanted creepy crawlies away. Cats are a great help, too. They'll go after anything that crawles and kill it. My cats have killed centipedes, black widows, and we don't have any problems with rodents around our property. It's a shame people trap cats to get rid of them...they're so useful, and they make great pets!

Old 08-14-2008, 07:47 AM

775 posts, read 2,589,917 times
Default Cats and Spiders

Yes Cats are good for chasing and killing poisonous insects and they can kill a Rattlesnake too. As for me my Yard is Cat Free because of my 3 dogs so i use Raid Ant and Roach a few times a month and that pretty much takes care of the problem. My Wolf dog likes to chase after mice. pintada kid at webtv.net

Old 08-14-2008, 09:29 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,614,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Do you know what they eat? Mosquitos, other spiders, centipedes, scorpions, bees, cockroaches, etc. Seriously, they wont bother you. Female widows pretty much live their entire life on their web, its not like they come off of it and roam for humans to bite.
I don't care what they eat. I have seen probably 3 mosquitoes in Santa Fe, no centipedes or scorpions. I don't see cockroaches cause I keep my house clean, and bees are beneficial and don't bother me. Spiders must die!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico