Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2021, 05:17 PM

979 posts, read 417,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post

In the 1980s, an associate of John Gotti was dropped off in downtown Albuquerque. I guess he lost whatever security he had from the government. He was picked back up after walking around with a sign having a target on it.
He was literally walking around with a piece of cardboard with a target on it?? Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2021, 05:48 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,324,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
Not entirely accurate. Albuquerque broke a homicide record this year - homicides are up nationally as you probably know - but property crime, rape, and several classes of violent crime are down and crime is down overall.
If property crime, shoplifting, and robberies haven't broken whatever rates they were last year, I think they are still higher within the past few or several years compared to before then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrychen View Post
He was literally walking around with a piece of cardboard with a target on it?? Why?
To protest the government not giving him protection when he was relocated to NM. He was basically saying: The way things are now without government protection, I'm a dead man. He was a target of NY organized crime.

Old 11-04-2021, 09:26 PM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times
I think New Mexico is too New Mexico for some people with misplaced expectations. They don't get it. It is faulted for not being like Arizona or Colorado, or Texas. The food is different. Some people speak Spanish - like all the time. There are a lot of Indians. It's too empty, too sunny, too dry... All the things that we love about the place.

Old 11-05-2021, 08:46 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I think New Mexico is too New Mexico for some people with misplaced expectations. They don't get it. It is faulted for not being like Arizona or Colorado, or Texas. The food is different. Some people speak Spanish - like all the time. There are a lot of Indians. It's too empty, too sunny, too dry... All the things that we love about the place.
I never understand folks that move/visit someplace else and then complain because it's "different". I enjoy the variations, even when I may not "like" them - it's what makes the world a more interesting place. And on those occasions when you can get a Native American to discuss some of their customs and beliefs, it's a real window into another world. One of the most interesting discussions I've ever had was a hours-long visit with a Sioux up in South Dakota as he told me about the things he went through after losing his beloved Grandfather. He graciously allowed me to purchase the ceremonial bow & arrow set he made for him to carry in the afterlife - said that because I had respected HIS beliefs, it was fitting that it come home with us. It's displayed with honor in our home - and will be passed down to our children with the story.

Old 11-05-2021, 02:31 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,452,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
If property crime, shoplifting, and robberies haven't broken whatever rates they were last year, I think they are still higher within the past few or several years compared to before then.
Like I said, property crime overall has declined consistently from 2018 to the present. This includes robbery (down 36% from 2018) and shoplifting (down 18%), although certain classes of fraud offense such as identity theft have increased. Homicides and assaults are up versus 2018, but kidnappings and sexual crimes are down slightly. Reported crimes overall are down nearly 20% versus 2018.

Old 11-05-2021, 04:28 PM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times
This is a thread about New Mexico. One important thing to remember about Albuquerque is that in living memory it had 35,000 residents (1940). It grew like crazy for a few decades and has big city problems. It is a small town in many ways — or perhaps a cluster of small towns. It isn’t a small town anymore.

Old 11-06-2021, 05:34 AM

11,067 posts, read 6,887,781 times
Quote:
Had to laugh when you said "dry!" I lived in Mora County for a year at the base of the Sangre de Cristos. That was the wettest year I've ever spent aside from this past year in the SE! <That has taken the cake.

Too many people have unrealistic expectations about places they move to. New Mexico has its problems like everywhere else. One should see it as an adventure and an expansion of consciousness when they move to a place like New Mexico. Overall, I loved it there. I do think the alcoholism is sad, though. For too many people, there's not much to do other than buy a 30-pack at the convenience store and sit around drinking all day. For others, it's a great place to learn and experience new things: skills, people, languages, etc.

The citizens of New Mexico know what a treasure they have. It's too bad about the poverty. Wish it could be fixed. But the more well-to-do are moving in and it's becoming even more of an either/or place (rich/poor). One thing a lot of the locals don't like is rich Texans buying up historically Hispanic land from the latest generation. There's nothing to be done about it though. It is what it is. I used to fantasize about winning hundreds of millions in the lottery and buying the whole town. Clean it up, make it better for those who really need it. It wouldn't work. Too much corruption and too many people set in their ways. Like everywhere.

Old 11-08-2021, 11:56 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,937,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
I never understand folks that move/visit someplace else and then complain because it's "different". I enjoy the variations, even when I may not "like" them - it's what makes the world a more interesting place. And on those occasions when you can get a Native American to discuss some of their customs and beliefs, it's a real window into another world. One of the most interesting discussions I've ever had was a hours-long visit with a Sioux up in South Dakota as he told me about the things he went through after losing his beloved Grandfather. He graciously allowed me to purchase the ceremonial bow & arrow set he made for him to carry in the afterlife - said that because I had respected HIS beliefs, it was fitting that it come home with us. It's displayed with honor in our home - and will be passed down to our children with the story.
Sorry, but this sounds like he might simply have been a very good salesman.

Old 11-08-2021, 04:52 PM

11,067 posts, read 6,887,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
I really like this story. But a Native American selling a family heirloom to a gringo? Even one who made a strong connection and respects their beliefs? With the strong feelings against cultural appropriation these days, I'm not sure about this. On the other hand, I think it's probably a really nice piece so no matter what the back story is and does deserve a place of honor in your home if it brings joy and peace.

Last edited by pathrunner; 11-08-2021 at 06:19 PM.. Reason: Add in omitted quote

Old 11-09-2021, 03:17 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,613,883 times
Quote:
Exactly why I want to move there. If I wanted to see the same everyday, I'd stay right where I am. I want a new adventure, I want my eyes to see new things, I want to open my mind in new ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
Like I said, property crime overall has declined consistently from 2018 to the present. This includes robbery (down 36% from 2018) and shoplifting (down 18%), although certain classes of fraud offense such as identity theft have increased. Homicides and assaults are up versus 2018, but kidnappings and sexual crimes are down slightly. Reported crimes overall are down nearly 20% versus 2018.
This is good to hear because this is the one issue I am a bit afraid about, as a single woman entering her retirement years. Obviously buying what I can afford in a bit better of an area than some others, using common sense, and making friends with neighbors and within the community will hopefully help me feel safer. What I don't want to be is sheltered in a gated community that is so removed from the native society that I could be anywhere, (except for the weather and scenery).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico