Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 10:04 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,568,426 times

Advertisements

Elko, I will take the book with me when I fly down to ELP for a look at Alamo real estate first week in September. I enjoy reading a book describing the history of a place I am visiting.
Reading Robert Utley's "Billy the Kid: A Short and Violent Life" while visiting Lincoln County many years ago made that country come alive.
Joqua, seeing the TBHS museum will be a priority.

Good idea, Oregon Bill. The Alamogordo - Ruidoso - Capitan - Lincoln - White Oaks area is my favorite historical area in all of New Mexico. Billy the Kid liked to hang out in White Oaks and no doubt favored the 'No Scum Allowed Saloon.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 09:05 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,271,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
There is a lot more going on in the area both at Holloman and White Sands than is publicized. One large-scale program not mentioned here is military drone development and training of drone pilots. IOWs, Holloman provides quite a lot of logistical support to White Sands and McGregor range programs. The vast desert region surrounding the AFB is ideal for fighter/bomber training runs in support of ground troop maneuvers carried on at McGregor range.
Tucson and Nellis do the same and would probably stay open before Holloman.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:26 AM

356 posts, read 511,327 times
I cannot recommend Sonnichsen's Tularosa book highly enough. It's just a rip-snorting good read if you have any interest in history at all, and especially rewarding if your Texas ancestors from the Buffalo Gap/Taylor County area drove cattle to La Luz in 1884 as mine did. I'd bet gold that young Oliver Lee's school teacher in Buffalo Gap was my great-grandfather, Champion Travis Traylor.
Tough and fascinating characters wrote the story of what would become Otero County in blood, sweat and tears in the last part of the 19th century. The chapter on Gene Rhodes is especially good.
I found my great-great grandmother's grave in the Monte Vista Cemetery, and found her obituary in the Feb. 7, 1918, issue of the Otero County News on microfilm in the Alamo library. I was pleased, to say the least.

Old 09-10-2017, 05:20 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,209,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Bill View Post
I cannot recommend Sonnichsen's Tularosa book highly enough....found her obituary in the Feb. 7, 1918, issue of the Otero County News on microfilm in the Alamo library. I was pleased, to say the least.
You'll want to explore Sonnichsen's other works too, when time permits. Another popular local historian is Leon Metz.

You likely didn't have time to visit the Tularosa Basin Historical Society museum in their new location in Alamogordo, but they have a wealth of documentary and photographic information, to say nothing of the various exhibits.

Old 09-10-2017, 05:37 PM

Joqua, I did wander in and tour the museum and book store, but did not spend time working with their archives.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Joqua, I did wander in and tour the museum and book store, but did not spend time working with their archives.
WoW! You sure didn't waste any time during your short visit. Wishing you all the best if you do make the move here.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:54 AM

Joqua, the docent taking the admission fee told me their archives are mostly first-hand reminiscences by pioneers. Should be some nuggets to be panned once I have some time. I tried to make the most of my visit, and even drove to Oliver Lee State Park, but the interpretive center was closed due to a staffing shortage. I didn't have the proper footwear to do any hiking.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Should be some nuggets to be panned once I have some time.
The small compact model train museum is another nugget for those who never outgrew their first model train (like ME?). It's manned by volunteers and last time I visited did not charge admission. I particularly admire all the effort someone put into the layout representing the former (now defunct) lumbering RR that ran from Alamogordo to Cloudcroft, which was still in operation in my childhood days. A good read on that subject is a small paper-back book titled: The Cloud Climbing Railroad which may still be obtainable in local book stores and from the Historical Society museum and possibly here:

http://twp.utep.edu/cloud.php

Old 09-12-2017, 07:23 AM

That book looks like a must read. Thanks for suggesting it! I was a bit surprised not to be able to find a bookstore in Alamo, although the friends of the library apparently have a used book shop in one of the malls that I was unable to visit. Drove up to the one in Cloudcroft, but he had just a few local history titles.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
I was a bit surprised not to be able to find a bookstore in Alamo...
I'm surprised too since I had not realized the Hastings closed up shop last fall after serving Alamogordo with books and other media for many years. Same goes for Wally's Paperback Exchange. Here's an article on the Hasting's loss to the community:

alamogordo-says-farewell-hastings

My favorite book store, especially for hard to find books on local subjects, is located on the Plaza in Old Mesilla. It's got all the ambiance of an old fashioned book store - mustiness included.

Quote:
Mesilla Book Center: Housed in an historic mercantile building on the Plaza, circa1856.

A full service bookstore specializing in Southwestern Americana;
large selection of children's and general titles. Also, Navajo rugs and Chimayo blankets, Indian arts and crafts , and maps. Tue.- Sat. 11-5:30, Sun. 1-5, closed Monday. (575)526-6220
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico