Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 10:09 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,179,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
PPS. Last thought, I promise: a truly fascinating history of Alamo and surroundings, read the excellent book "Tularosa: Last of the Frontier West" by C L Sonnichsen.

Thank you for this suggestion, ysrebob, sounds like it would be a fascinating read for anyone that has lived in Alamogordo or Tularosa or La Luz, or, anyone that is contemplating moving to any of those towns!
It's been a long time since I actually read the book, but from what I recall it had less to do with the history of Tularosa and Alamogordo than with notorious individuals living in the region between Lincoln and Las Cruces in the late 19th century. It was mostly about the troubles between parties involved in the Lincoln County War and it's offshoots, including the "disappearance" of attorney Albert Fall and his son - an unsolved mystery that still garners periodic interest today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 12:22 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,522,027 times
It's been a long time since I actually read the book, but from what I recall it had less to do with the history of Tularosa and Alamogordo than with notorious individuals living in the region between Lincoln and Las Cruces in the late 19th century. It was mostly about the troubles between parties involved in the Lincoln County War and it's offshoots, including the "disappearance" of attorney Albert Fall and his son - an unsolved mystery that still garners periodic interest today.

I wonder if Billy the Kid is in the book?

Old 08-13-2017, 12:36 PM

109 posts, read 136,555 times
I've read the C L Sonnichsen book and it's fantastic. I just finished the 3 book fiction series based in The Tularosa Basin written by Michael McGarrity. Hard Country, Back Lands and The Last Ranch are great relaxing reads. It's great fun to be able to visualize what it was like back in those days. Timeline of the 3 books runs roughly from 1888 thru 1968.

Anyone have any other leads on more books about the area historical or fiction?

Old 08-13-2017, 12:45 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,515,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Bill View Post
Bob, thanks for suggesting that book. I'll order a copy.
Bill, if you can't find a copy let me know.

Old 08-13-2017, 02:00 PM

887 posts, read 1,218,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B3Fan View Post
I've read the C L Sonnichsen book and it's fantastic. I just finished the 3 book fiction series based in The Tularosa Basin written by Michael McGarrity. Hard Country, Back Lands and The Last Ranch are great relaxing reads. It's great fun to be able to visualize what it was like back in those days. Timeline of the 3 books runs roughly from 1888 thru 1968.

Anyone have any other leads on more books about the area historical or fiction?
Read those three myself. I have several NM favorites but none to suggest on that area.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:46 PM

356 posts, read 505,876 times
Thanks Rich. Have one on the way from Amazon.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:15 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,522,027 times
Thanks Rich. Have one on the way from Amazon.

Hey, Oregon Bill, let us know on this thread how you like one of the books. Sounds like you'll love it since you're looking in to relocating to Alamogordo.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:01 AM

136 posts, read 141,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysrebob View Post
Alamo is a good little town, very affordable and safe. Limited shopping but who cares. I really enjoyed our two years there, and loved having the high mountain forests so close by.

It is, however, a one-industry town (Holloman Air Force Base). Much of the town is USAF active duty, dependants, and retirees. Thus:
1. The military has its own culture and norms, subtly but very definitely apart from the civilian world; a non-mil person could feel a bit isolated;
2. After decades of lavish US defense budgets (vs the rest of the world) this might seem like a remote possibility, but if the Air Force ever really had to pull in its horns, budget-wise, Holloman AFB could conceivably get mothballed... there's little that's crucial or irreplaceable about it from an operations point if view. That would decimate Alamogordo.

That said, I would happily move there again.
I doubt it. Cannon AFB in Clovis would get shut down before Hollomon. Hollomon's importance has a lot to do with the airspace over WSMR than the base itself. White Sands Missile Range is irreplaceable. They do move operations from one place to another when another BRAC happens.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:17 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,179,194 times
Default Tularosa Basin Museum of History

Tularosa Basin Historical Society museum is a must visit for anyone with an interest in the history of the area.

http://www.alamogordohistory.com/

Here is an article today referring to the museum located in Alamogordo
that recently opened at a new location; in a historically important building:

historical-potpourri-tularosa-basin-museum-history-gives-glimpse-days-gone by

Quote:
TBMH exhibits focus on the history of the Tularosa Basin, including Alamogordo, Tularosa, Ruidoso, La Luz, Cloudcroft and other Sacramento communities. The many exhibits cover the railroad, the New Mexico School for the Blind and Visually Impaired and other schools in the area, the military community, White Sands Monument, La Luz pottery, ranching, scouting, early Native American, ancient past and so much more.

Old 08-23-2017, 08:37 AM

356 posts, read 505,876 times
Elko, I will take the book with me when I fly down to ELP for a look at Alamo real estate first week in September. I enjoy reading a book describing the history of a place I am visiting.
Reading Robert Utley's "Billy the Kid: A Short and Violent Life" while visiting Lincoln County many years ago made that country come alive.
Joqua, seeing the TBHS museum will be a priority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico