Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 12:28 AM

142 posts, read 731,694 times

Advertisements

Whats up people with all the Albuquerque and New Mexico bashing.

How about some of the nice things - like a full moon rising over the Sandia mountains, the wild flowers that still bloom in the spring even after months without significant rainfall, the beautiful fall weather, snowfalls that disappear by afternoon, the beautiful rainbows after a summer thunderstorm, and don't forget the beautiful sunsets and crystal clear blue sky and the wonderful cuisine. Shall I go on?

What you get out of where you live is what effort you put into living there.

Old 04-13-2006, 10:14 AM

18 posts, read 117,382 times
Default thanks for that

Thanks informer! I have spoken with many people who have positive things to say about NM. However, most of them have never lived there. My husband and I are really nervous about this and seriously concerned about the crime. We are going to Abq in a few weeks to make our final decision but honestly the posts here have influenced me greatly against living there. They make it sound like a 3rd world country. It is nice to hear some positive points from an actual resident. Not a tourist. However, I appreciate EVERYONE'S input!

becca

Old 04-13-2006, 01:41 PM

27 posts, read 359,895 times
Well I live in Albuquerque, and as beautiful as the Sandia mountains are, it is still ruined by all the crappy people. I tried to make the best out of it, I went out, tried to meet new people and have fun. Everybody was incredibly rude, they had the attitude if I didn't know them already then I didn't need to know them. It's not New Mexico, It's Albuquerque, and that's exactly why I am going back home in 15 days. The crystal clear blue sky? Yea I see that everyday as I'm stuck in a traffic jam on my way to school. There's a lot of smog here, I feel like I can hardly breathe. And no its not the altitude, I'm used to higher. New Mexico truely is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been, and I've been all around the country, I would never call another place home.

Old 04-13-2006, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby
Thanks informer! I have spoken with many people who have positive things to say about NM. However, most of them have never lived there. My husband and I are really nervous about this and seriously concerned about the crime. We are going to Abq in a few weeks to make our final decision but honestly the posts here have influenced me greatly against living there. They make it sound like a 3rd world country. It is nice to hear some positive points from an actual resident. Not a tourist. However, I appreciate EVERYONE'S input!

becca
You are welcome.

Don't let this countryrush scare you with all the crime and *crappy people* nonsense - I have yet to reside anywhere in the U.S. that didn't have crude people, and bad drivers.

I just can't figure out all the crime talk lately, I go all over the area and I never have any problems. I just don't pay attention to all the fear-mongerers.

If you are considering a move here, be open-minded about it and just see for yourself what treasures are hidden here.

The infamous Central Ave corridor is actually the historic old route 66 and has a very eclectic feel to it. Lots of very unique shopping and sights.

You might want to seriously consider checking out Rio Rancho as a place to settle down, very safe area if your looking for that. I'd stay away from Placita's (water problems and expensive) and Corrales (very expensive).

If you want any more information about the area just post a note and I'll try to answer your question as best as I can.

Best of luck

Old 04-14-2006, 12:54 PM

27 posts, read 359,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informer
You are welcome.

Don't let this countryrush scare you with all the crime and *crappy people* nonsense - I have yet to reside anywhere in the U.S. that didn't have crude people, and bad drivers.

I just can't figure out all the crime talk lately, I go all over the area and I never have any problems. I just don't pay attention to all the fear-mongerers.

If you are considering a move here, be open-minded about it and just see for yourself what treasures are hidden here.

The infamous Central Ave corridor is actually the historic old route 66 and has a very eclectic feel to it. Lots of very unique shopping and sights.

You might want to seriously consider checking out Rio Rancho as a place to settle down, very safe area if your looking for that. I'd stay away from Placita's (water problems and expensive) and Corrales (very expensive).

If you want any more information about the area just post a note and I'll try to answer your question as best as I can.

Best of luck

Well, informer, that's good that you have yet to have a bad experience in Albuquerque. You want her to go to Central, yea thats ok as long as the sun doesn't go down. Do you realize how many people are murdered on that street. I think somebody has an oblivios happy attitude towards Albuquerque. I have never in my life experienced such hatred for being white. The first week I lived here somebody tried to break into my house. Cops get murdered here all the time, there are a lot of gangs. It's just a horrible place to live, nice place to visit as long as you know that you can go back home where it's safe. My sister lives in Placitas and she has never experienced a water problem. Out there you can actually see the sunset, and if your a nature type of person I would highly recommend looking into living there. Corrales is extremely expensive, I used to work at there at an equestrain horse ranch.

Old 04-14-2006, 03:48 PM

Arrow To countryrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryrush
Well, informer, that's good that you have yet to have a bad experience in Albuquerque. You want her to go to Central, yea thats ok as long as the sun doesn't go down. Do you realize how many people are murdered on that street. I think somebody has an oblivios happy attitude towards Albuquerque. I have never in my life experienced such hatred for being white. The first week I lived here somebody tried to break into my house. Cops get murdered here all the time, there are a lot of gangs. It's just a horrible place to live, nice place to visit as long as you know that you can go back home where it's safe. My sister lives in Placitas and she has never experienced a water problem. Out there you can actually see the sunset, and if your a nature type of person I would highly recommend looking into living there. Corrales is extremely expensive, I used to work at there at an equestrain horse ranch.
I just don't understand you having such a pessimistic mindset. You don't have to waste all your energy and resources trying to justify why you are moving out of here. I really hope you like where you are going back to and I give you the best of luck.

I'am sick of all the fear-mongering people (yourself included) telling everyone how mean the world is (we have our glorious media to do that).

I generally dismiss people such as yourself as having deep-seated problems that need to be resolved, and I just ignore them - however some of the things you say about this city are just too unbelievable.

Sure there is crime and traffic and crude people, but any metropolitan area will have those problems and bigger problems. However, IMO I think the positives outweigh the negatives.

Also why play the race card? - when race dosen't even exist - only skin color.

Did you know that two black men are more genetically diverse than a white man and a black man. The only way this race thing is going to go away is if we stop talking about.

Placita's is a very nice place - beautiful area - but I have heard many people
have water issues up there. It's not a personal attack on anyone by stating that, just a fact.

Hope you have a safe move and thanks for your time that it took to read this.

Old 04-18-2006, 09:11 AM

3 posts, read 13,816 times
u guys are killing me. im a NYer and u have no clue what a bad neighborhood is. u should get on ur knees and thank God that u live here. as far as race goes, the only problems i see are infighting. the mexicans against the hispanics which is ridiculous and black men scorning black women,even more ludicrous. but these are negative traits of individuals not the city at large. go online and read some NY newspapers then come back and apologize for being so clueless.

Old 04-20-2006, 10:29 PM

368 posts, read 1,329,611 times
Default New York isnt all that bad- research some info.

First of all, New York isnt even considered one of the most dangerous cities.For the amount of people in New York,crime is not that bad as compared to other smaller cities.Albuquerque was listed as a more dangerous city that New York City. and second of all New York City is uncomparable, New York-8 million people----Albuquerque-480,000 people. Now New Yorker guy, why dont you compare the two cities together on this web site with crime per 100,000 people and find out for yourself that New York isnt all that bad.--even Chicago had more murders than New York City and Chicago has 5 million people less.

Old 04-21-2006, 01:05 AM

Arrow councilor j...

Quote:
Originally Posted by councilor j
First of all, New York isnt even considered one of the most dangerous cities.For the amount of people in New York,crime is not that bad as compared to other smaller cities.Albuquerque was listed as a more dangerous city that New York City. and second of all New York City is uncomparable, New York-8 million people----Albuquerque-480,000 people. Now New Yorker guy, why dont you compare the two cities together on this web site with crime per 100,000 people and find out for yourself that New York isnt all that bad.--even Chicago had more murders than New York City and Chicago has 5 million people less.
If I may interject something here to clear things up:

"New Yorker guy" was referring to individual neighborhoods as opposed to the entire city of New York being that crime ridden. This is precisely why crime statistics are such a bear to tackle and should be used as a general guide only and to resist the urge to slam a city based on these all inclusive crime statistics based on population only. This practice in my opinion is unjustly used most of the time.

For example: I resided in the Jacksonville, FL area for 2 years. I had to stop watching the local news cast because the top of each news cast started with either a fatal shooting or fatal stabbing every day, and I couldn't deal with it anymore. That is well over 300 murders a year (based on a population of 800,000). I couldn't believe that I was living in such a crime-ravaged city. Things were cleared up one day when I asked one of my co-workers about all the crime being reported by the local media, since I was relatively new to the area. Their response was - "All that crime occurs on the northside only and if you stay out of that area the rest of the city is perfectly safe".

In my opinion a more accurate portrayal of crime statistics would be for a compliation of individual statistics for each area or neighborhood of a city as opposed to an all encompassing population based statistic.

Most of the time statistics are taken out of context anyway.

Do your research...

Old 04-21-2006, 10:48 PM

368 posts, read 1,329,611 times
Default Do Your Research Informer

Crime in Jacksonville by Year

Type 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003
Murders 83 79 75 90 92

This is the research I found on Jacksonville,Florida--this is far from the 300 you mentioned, you must have been high on something to view a murder evernight on the news..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico