Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 04:11 PM

25 posts, read 60,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoodwx View Post
........ I've lived in NM for about 20 years. I can think of plenty of things I like, plenty of things I don't like, but I could say the same for every place I've lived.

+ Wide-open landscape. I can walk into my front yard, look west, and see Mount Taylor, 70 miles away, well over 300 days a year.
+ The climate. I live 6200 feet above sea level, and temperatures reach the upper 80s on most summer afternoons, ........
+ Diversity of climate. .......
+ Relative tolerance for people .......
+ Lots of cultural opportunities, from Native American art ........

Dislikes:
+ Crime and gang culture.
+ Lack of law enforcement. Some laws appear to be rarely, if ever, enforced.

Paradise on earth doesn't really exist. If you can find a place where your personal likes overwhelm your dislikes, you might want to call that...home.
ATTN MRGOODWX or others: Leaning strongly toward moving to NM & appreciate esp. logic and comments above. My 'agreements' on LIKES are listed above; my 'big concerns' re DISLIKES also listed above.

But two main questions: (1) Why is Albuquerque the only city I have looked at that does not seem to have a CITY-DEVELOPED "RELOCATION PACKAGE"? Maybe they feel that w/their extensive, excellent web site, they don't need to sell one. But I can get a $20-25 book from (fr'instance Santa Fe) or any other place I've considered moving to in the past. That way you can line 'em up and do comparisons. The only ones I've found for ALB are from realty companies, and I don't want to be deluged w/adverts.

(2) What is Albuquerque's ATTITUDE TOWARD GROWTH? I saw a lot on the website re their 'quality of living' (green) plans, which are great, but they'll all come to naught if they let every developer and his brother-in-law throw up 'planned community' after 'planned community'. That leads to poor quality of air, squishing together of houses, water adequacy problems, and traffic-traffic-traffic. Not to mention huge skyscrapers (to pack more 'occupancy' into a smaller-footprint bldg.); and possible "McMansion-ization" interfering with peoples' views of surrounding mountains or whatever.

Appreciate any comments.

Old 06-05-2007, 12:54 PM

741 posts, read 2,923,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Rain_Spirit View Post
Why is Albuquerque the only city I have looked at that does not seem to have a CITY-DEVELOPED "RELOCATION PACKAGE"? Maybe they feel that w/their extensive, excellent web site, they don't need to sell one. But I can get a $20-25 book from (fr'instance Santa Fe) or any other place I've considered moving to in the past. That way you can line 'em up and do comparisons.
Check out the ABQ Chamber of Commerce. Greater Albuquerque Chamber of Commerce (http://www.abqchamber.com/content/VisitorInfo.asp - broken link) They offer a relocation pkg for $25.

Chap

Old 06-06-2007, 08:43 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,883,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcat4009 View Post
finmqa1 - I visited both my wife's parents and my parents over Christmas at the end of '06. I lived in Las Cruces until 2002 when I graduated College. Based on NM's slow growth and development I doubt much has changed in 5 years. My opinion is based on my personal experience but what I have seen recently with my own family and friends doesn't bode well for the NM long term.

My wife's family was life long ABQ residents. My wife's parents just moved to the Hill Country outside Austin, TX. My wife's sister left school at NMSU and now resides in Austin, TX. My wife's Aunt, Uncle and two cousins relocated to Florida over the '06 Christmas holiday. A family friend recently sold his business and moved to Texas as well.

My parents were not born in NM, but have lived there over 30 years. My sister recently move to the Dallas area. I moved to Dallas area 5 years ago. My parents who still live in NM are planning on moving when they retire in 4 years.

FatCat
To each his/her own.....but in my opinion, the massive growth around Austin and parts of the Texas Hill Country in general has just ruined the area.

I've seen that growth take place over 30+ years....and it's not attractive.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:04 AM

9 posts, read 24,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Oh man. I could not even IMAGINE choosing Austin if I had the chance to be in Albuquerque seeing those mountains every day! I can't think of one single thing that Austin could offer me.

We really ARE all very different, aren't we?

Moderator cut: personal attack
This is what I see about Albuquerque...
1. Drivers are terrible
2. customer service just about everywhere you go is below average. (couple places that I have been has been nice)
3. Crime is through the roof here. And maybe it is just because the news stations here thrive off of it, so people like myself have the perception that there is a lot of crime. It seems every lead story on every news channel is about a homicide, gang shooting, updates on somebody in court for murder, etc... ( I honestly don't believe that I am exaggerating that at all)
4. The soil is terrible for anything other than "native grass" and weeds, unless you do some serious work on it.
5. the cost of living is out of control for a city that overall isn't that wealthy. There is no reason why anybody in this city should have to pay $140+ per square foot for a house with nothing special about it. By contrast, El Paso is significantly more affordable and they have a population twice that of ABQ. Even gas is cheaper there. (and yes I do live in ABQ)
6. The DWI problem here is atrocious as well.

ABQ is consistently in the top 5 most violent cities in the US, while Austin is consistently in the top 5 best cities to live in. So to say that you couldn't see why you would leave ABQ for Austin kind of befuddled me. Its a safer city, more affordable, better education system, college sports teams that are incredibly successful, a much better university education-wise. I could keep going, but I'm sure you see my point.

If you took away Intel and the airport, ABQ would be another southwest dust town. When I first moved here I was pretty excited about it. This is where my wife and I purchased our first home together. My son was born here. I have made a lot of good friends here as well. But if it wasn't for my job, I honestly have no desire to be here at all. My wife and I both agree that this is not the right city to raise our children.

Anyways, I am done ranting. I am currently in the process of transferring to either Austin or Raleigh, NC. Nothing personal torwards anyone here, I hope it wasn't taken that way. I just wanted to state my opinions, the facts how I see them.

Flame on.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:14 AM

9 posts, read 24,797 times
Oh and one other thing. While New Mexican food is good (the size of my belly can attest to that), all it is for the most part is Mexican/Tex-Mex smothered in Red or Green Chili. Not that it's bad, cause trust me I LOVE IT. But that really is all it is. And it honestly is hard to find a good authentic Mexican restaurant here. I lived in El Paso for almost 20 years and prefer Authentic Mexican over New Mexican but I still like it just as much.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:30 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,030,715 times
What does orphaned mean?

Old 06-08-2007, 03:22 PM

12 posts, read 38,419 times
well, if you watch enough news you'll get a head full of fear. We are a people obsessed with security and the bottom line......enjoy what little time you have on the planet and New Mexico is one of the most beautiful places on the earth. BUT if you don't like it then don't go there . That leaves more for those of who do. A little town up the road of about 4000 people just had a murder. Everybody is all in a dither now. It's about attitude not K--- tv or www or what other fear monger you listen too. Most people are peace loving, afraid, but peace loving. Join the faithful who are drawn to sunsets, stars at night and hiking in mounatins teeming with critters. Love it.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:45 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,196,822 times
Default Overgrowth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
To each his/her own.....but in my opinion, the massive growth around Austin and parts of the Texas Hill Country in general has just ruined the area.

I've seen that growth take place over 30+ years....and it's not attractive.
You are absolutely right about that. Austin was great in the late sixties; it had 180K people in it, and it was beautiful. It's way too big now, with ferocious traffic jams; not much different from Dallas in that regard. Yuck!

Old 06-09-2007, 07:20 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,883,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
You are absolutely right about that. Austin was great in the late sixties; it had 180K people in it, and it was beautiful. It's way too big now, with ferocious traffic jams; not much different from Dallas in that regard. Yuck!
I tell you what, Catman......Sis is about ready to move because of the wall-to-wall people and the traffic jams. She went to college at SWTSU/Texas State University in San Marcos, and has been in the area most of the time since.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:29 AM

811 posts, read 2,941,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scleeser View Post
Moderator cut: personal attack
This is what I see about Albuquerque...
1. Drivers are terrible
2. customer service just about everywhere you go is below average. (couple places that I have been has been nice)
3. Crime is through the roof here. And maybe it is just because the news stations here thrive off of it, so people like myself have the perception that there is a lot of crime. It seems every lead story on every news channel is about a homicide, gang shooting, updates on somebody in court for murder, etc... ( I honestly don't believe that I am exaggerating that at all)
4. The soil is terrible for anything other than "native grass" and weeds, unless you do some serious work on it.
5. the cost of living is out of control for a city that overall isn't that wealthy. There is no reason why anybody in this city should have to pay $140+ per square foot for a house with nothing special about it. By contrast, El Paso is significantly more affordable and they have a population twice that of ABQ. Even gas is cheaper there. (and yes I do live in ABQ)
6. The DWI problem here is atrocious as well.

ABQ is consistently in the top 5 most violent cities in the US, while Austin is consistently in the top 5 best cities to live in. So to say that you couldn't see why you would leave ABQ for Austin kind of befuddled me. Its a safer city, more affordable, better education system, college sports teams that are incredibly successful, a much better university education-wise. I could keep going, but I'm sure you see my point.

If you took away Intel and the airport, ABQ would be another southwest dust town. When I first moved here I was pretty excited about it. This is where my wife and I purchased our first home together. My son was born here. I have made a lot of good friends here as well. But if it wasn't for my job, I honestly have no desire to be here at all. My wife and I both agree that this is not the right city to raise our children.

Anyways, I am done ranting. I am currently in the process of transferring to either Austin or Raleigh, NC. Nothing personal torwards anyone here, I hope it wasn't taken that way. I just wanted to state my opinions, the facts how I see them.

Flame on.

You must be an El Paso native. First of all El Paso is not twice the size of Albuquerque, as a matter of fact the ABQ metro is larger than EP metro
ABQ-816,000 EP 729,000.
Yes housing is significantly cheaper in El Paso however so are the salaries.
here is a list of what Albuquerque is rated.

Recent Rankings

Albuquerque Ranked #2 Arts Destination, AmericanStyle Magazine, June 2007
Albuquerque Named Among the Top 20 Metros for Nanotech, Wilson Center's Project on Emerging Nanotechnologies, May 2007
Albuquerque Named one of the Top 20 Midsize Cities for Doing Business, Inc.com, April 2007
Albuquerque Fittest City in the Nation, Men's Fitness, March 2007
Albuquerque One of America's 50 Hottest Cities, Expansion Management, February 2007
Albuquerque Named a Top 10 City for Movie Making, MovieMaker Magazine,
Winter 2007
New Mexico Ranks 8th for Jobs in High-Tech fields, The 2007 State New Economy Index, 2007
Albuquerque Ranks 4th in the Country for Government Vehicles using Alternative Fuels, SustainLane, 2006
Albuquerque Best Real Estate Market in the West, 3rd in the Nation, Fortune, December 2006
Sandia Heights, NM Ranked One of the Best Affordable Suburbs in the U.S., Business Week, November 2006
Bizjournals Survey Ranks Albuquerque 18th for Jobs, BizJournals, November 2006
Albuquerque Ranked 8th Best City for a Data Center, The Boyd Company, featured in Information Week article, October 2006
New Mexico Second in the Nation in Educational Reform, Thomas B. Fordham Foundation, October 2006
Albuquerque Named a Smart City for Singles, Families & Retirees, Kiplinger's Personal Finance, October 2006
New Mexico Ranked 4th in Small Tech Industry, Small Times Magazine, October 2006
Albuquerque Named Among Best Cities for Relocating Singles, Primacy Relocation & Worldwide ERC, October 2006
Albuquerque Ranked 14th Best Mid-Size City for Entrepreneurs, Entrepreneur, September 2006
Albuquerque Ranked High for Data Centers, The Boyd Company, September 2006
Albuquerque Ranked 3rd Best Metro for Hispanics, Hispanic Magazine, July 2006
Albuquerque Named One of World's Five Best Vacations, Orbitz, July 2006
New Mexico Only 1 of 3 States to Receive an "A" in Entrepreneurial Activity, Edward Lowe Foundation, July 2006
Old Spice Ranks America's Sweatiest Cities; Albuquerque Not at the Top of the List, Old Spice, June 2006
Albuquerque 39th Fastest-Growing City in the Nation, Census Bureau, June 2006
Albuquerque Ranked Among Top 10 of America's Brainiest Cities, BizJournals.com, June 2006
Albuquerque Ranks 8th Best for Lifestyle Options for Relocating Families, Primacy Relocation & Worldwide ERC, May 2006
Albuquerque Best in Nation for Business and Careers, Forbes, May 2006
Albuquerque Named a Five-Star Knowledge Worker Metro, Expansion Management, May 2006
Albuquerque Ranked 3rd Smartest City to Live, Kiplinger's Personal Finance, May 2006
Albuquerque One of the Top Metros in U.S. Overall for Public Schools, Expansion Management, May 2006
Albuquerque Ranked 8th Mid-Size Metro in Nation for Top Public Schools, Expansion Management, May 2006
Albuquerque Ranked #2 Arts Destination, AmericanStyle Magazine, April 2006
New Mexico Has Sixth Highest Concentration of Tech Workers in the Nation, American Electronics Association, April 2006
New Mexico 6th in Generation of Wind Power, American Wind Energy Association, March 2006
Albuquerque Ranked on Milken List of Top 200 Best Performing Cities, Milken Institute, March 2006
Albuquerque One of America's 50 Hottest Cities, Expansion Management, January 2006
USA Today Picks Albuquerque as One of the Top 6 Destinations to Travel for 2006, USA Today, January 2006
Albuquerque Named as the 13th Fittest City in Nation, Men's Fitness, January 2006
What Others Are Saying About Albuquerque

If you don't like it here LEAVE........it's a free country you can live wherever you want. Even El Paso!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico