Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 08:29 PM

102 posts, read 587,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am really looking foward to retiring to a small town with a college or trade school and doing some part time teaching, some part time research and writing. Maybe some prospecting. Maybe some just hanging around. It will be a retirement after all.

Yes, my sentiments exactly. I will definitely give NM a try.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:35 PM

4 posts, read 14,588 times
Recently I listened to a news report about violence in U.S. cities. They said statistics show a trend of more violence/murders in mid sized cities.

Old 09-08-2007, 05:27 PM

1,763 posts, read 6,004,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbob View Post
Recently I listened to a news report about violence in U.S. cities. They said statistics show a trend of more violence/murders in mid sized cities.
Did you mean Albuquerque is a mid-size city, and therefore more dangerous? I just checked this website's stats on murder rates for a few large cities, per capita per 100,000 people.

Boston's and Los Angeles' are 20% higher than Albuquerque.

Memphis' is double Albuquerque's.

Washington, DC's is three and one-half times Albuquerque's.

But statistics can be so misleading...just pick a safe neighborhood, wherever you live. I lived in DC for 17 yrs and never had a problem with crime.

The "trend" they're talking about could have something to do with recent growth in gang activity across the east, primarily. MS-13 is an east coast gang that has spread to DC, Atlanta, Raleigh, Chicago, etc. It's "based" in N. Virginia, just outside DC. Very violent, and growing rapidly.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:01 PM

51 posts, read 143,486 times
Moving west...

My youngest son will be leaving Naples Fl. for Albuq. NM. With Naples any bashing would be Constructive. We have lived here 24 yrs. and have seen the worst first hand. Have no choice because our area will be bulldozed for something. It's on the drawing board. $1,200.00 per month rent. Forget that if I sell my property or it's a buyout. And can't stand "Deed Restricted" communities. I'm just as excited about my son's move as he is.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:06 PM

4 posts, read 18,445 times
Default Good, the bad, and the ugly...

So...I'm moving to NM from MN this fall. Here are some of the things I'm looking forward to, and some of the things I'm not...

The Good:
- Warmer weather in most areas.
- A expanding film industry & movie studios.
- Low living cost.
- Closer to Vegas and California.
- New areas for me to explore and adventure.
- Mesa Del Sol (It will be a SWEET place when it's finished!)
- Snakes and scorpions are cool I guess.
- Aliens
- Beautiful airport... I dunno if that really matters though.
- Alot of caves to spelunk.
- I saw an alien commercial that said it's the best place in the universe! So if an alien says so, it must be true! LOL!
- And more Aliens!!!

The Bad:
- It was ranked 2nd worst last year for crime. (bad ghettos)
- To many illegals who don't speak a word of english!
- No teams for NFL, MLB, NHL, or NBA. That sucks big time!
- Traffic gets super bad around rush hour!!!!!
- Indian art. Sorry, not a fan if it's art that a 5th grader could make me.

The Ugly:
- The land can be beautiful some places like Sandia and Santa FE, but alot of it is just brown, ugly and dead.
- Last time I was there, I notice people are not as attractive compared to the midwest. I only saw a couple of hot girls in ABQ!! Alot of short hairy women with bad teeth. LOL!

Listen...every state has a bad and good side. California is probably the coolest state though, but it's too expensive for me right now. But at lease I'll be closer to it and maybe get some film experience.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:10 PM

4 posts, read 18,445 times
Check those stats dude. ABQ had the 2nd worst crime rate in the nation right now. And if it's a ratio, it still isn't a good thing. A high percentage of murder with lower population isn't good! NM is a great state, but don't make it seem like it doesn't have a major crime and gang problem.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:21 PM

The murder stats I quoted are straight from the website whose threads you're posting on, www.city-data.com - I don't know where they get them from.

The numbers I chose are per capita, i.e. adjusted for population. The numbers seem to indicate that large cities can be MUCH more dangerous than medium sized cities, and that on avg, Boston, L.A., Memphis and DC are more violent, murder-wise, than Albuquerque.

I'm not saying Albuquerque doesn't have crime issues, but I do think they pale beside the crime issues many larger American cities face! Albuquerque more dangerous than L.A.? Than DC???? C'mon!!!

As far as Albuquerque having the 2nd highest crime rate in the nation...? That sounds bogus to me - where did that come from?

Old 09-10-2007, 10:08 PM

"City-data.com Crime Index" numbers for 2005: [2005 is the most recent year they have numbers for; higher is worse]

Memphis = 962.8
Dallas = 753.9
DC = 682.5
Salt Lake City = 618.6
Chicago = 610
Boston = 596.5
Seattle = 593
Albuq = 580.7
L.A. = 408
San Diego = 350.8
US Avg = 325.2

Looks to me like Seattle and Salt Lake are both more dangerous than Albuquerque...while L.A. and San Diego are safer. Go figure.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:57 PM

4 posts, read 11,973 times
Default nice area

I lived in San Diego and now Las Cruces, let me tell you Albuquerque is nice, almost as nice as San Diego but without the beach, if thiers crime, well we didnt see it, even in the nice areas. El Paso is ugly, no trees.

Last edited by mendukime; 09-14-2007 at 09:17 PM..

Old 09-18-2007, 06:29 AM

271 posts, read 1,176,618 times
There is a lot more to San Diego than just the beach. What about the
weather? Albuquerque can't touch it. Also you have to plug in the per
capita factor on the crime stats. Sure LA has much higher crime but
it's about 12-15 times larger than albuquerque if you include all the suburbs.
San Diego used to be very nice but it's now to crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico