Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 07:01 AM

261 posts, read 936,997 times

Advertisements

My father was a WWII vet who used the VA clinic in Farmington and the hospital in Albuquerque. He utilized the VA for routine stuff, but relied on private medical care for more serious problems. He loved the free prescriptions. The VA also took care of his hearing aids and glasses, and as he lost his sight they sent him to a school in AZ to prepare him to live without his sight. The clinic in Farmington isn't the Mayo, but they seem to do ok. They have a van that runs from Farmington to Albuquerque to transport vets down there for their appointments.

Overall, it seems to be working. I don't understand why they don't just go to a system where the veteran simply presents an ID card like a credit card with all their information on it and the doctor or hospital of their choice gets to work. But that's another thread. Probably another forum in fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 08:27 AM

45 posts, read 109,044 times
Thanks SJBasin.

I'm currently in an Ohio county that also provides transportation for Vets (and all other county social service clients), but I was assuming more rural areas might not provide such transportation.

This county is providing it however, not the VA. Maybe all the VA clinics do that for remote areas?

Old 07-01-2008, 08:33 AM

I had some comments in reply to your last message CindyB, but it looks like it didn't get posted.

Glad to hear White Sands agreed with your hubby's knees and endurance. I lived in Denver for several years and have always missed the sunshine and dry air, since moving back home (Cincinnati area). No shortage of humidity here.

Is Iowa humid where you're at?

Old 07-01-2008, 10:00 AM

146 posts, read 440,786 times
Ducky - oh, yeah! LOL - it's been humid this year. And mosquitoes are out in force. We've had floods, and for the first time since the floods of '93, our basement/storm shelter had water in it...

But, over all, it gets as humid here as Cinci.

Around here, the VA does transportation between Des Moines VA and Knoxville, IA. Transportation for veterans to get to the VA is either private vehicle (mileage paid) for appointments, or the DAV van. The DAV ran vans in Vermont, also, when we lived there, for those that don't/can't drive.

Prescription costs at the VA depend on percentage of disability, and the veteran's income. Because DH is 100%, we don't pay for scripts. However, the vet down the street, who has less than 30% s/c disability and a good pension, has to pay for his scripts.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:21 PM

Lol on the "oh, yeah!"

How come you guys chose Alamo, over all the other cities in that area?

Proximity of Alamo to EP?

Old 07-02-2008, 04:38 AM

Well, when I started my relocation search, I went to the VA website, because DH needs that service. We're now 2 hours away from VA, and that's with good weather and light traffic. So anything closer was ok.

Then I went to the Weather Channel page (sorry - didn't know about CD at that time), and checked average temps... and how much snow the place gets.... Farmington gets too much snow, but Alamo doesn't. We don't mind the cold weather, or a cold snap, but DH didn't want snow - Alamo might get snow, but it's gone before you think about it. No shovelling, etc.

Alamo's a smaller town, but in proximity to larger ones (for more girl shopping), and Holloman is a bene, IOHO (even though DH was Army, he was stationed on an Air Force Base).

Alamo fit all of our requirements... now, we're moving down there and renting so that we can sell our houses here, before buying another one.... the last requirement for our move is that the house fit both our needs/wants.... out in the country and enough room for me! LOL!

Old 07-03-2008, 07:09 PM

CindyB, thx so much for all your help.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:14 PM

Any time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico