Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 05:37 PM

38 posts, read 111,145 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have recently visited southwest NM and have decided to move to Deming. The both of us will be looking for part-time work, I currently drive a city bus with twelve years experience in cable tv as a technician. My wife is in banking but we'll work at anything. We will be renting, so any areas of town to steer clear of ? We liked the southern part of town, below I 10 better. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 06:46 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,182,108 times
Amazing.

Luna county has an 18.7% unemployment rate. That's double where you're coming from.

That's also worse than Detroit.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:57 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,161,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1881 View Post
My wife and I have recently visited southwest NM and have decided to move to Deming.
Just have to ask...what did you find attractive about Deming that would entice you to move there?

If you do go through with the move, please come back here and tell us how you're getting along there.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:12 PM

18,212 posts, read 25,848,753 times
John1881, what I did is bring a thread regarding Deming with 100 plus posts up to date. Is dated a bit, it hasn't been active in about a year. But it does bring a lot of opinions and info anyway. I remember your name somewhat, on a thread dealing specifically about the towns courthouse you opined on the issue and the town and said you'd like to come out for a visit.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:54 PM

Well, we spent a week going from LC to Deming and up to Silver and Deming seemed to suit us. We can run down to Palomas for doctors, we love the culture, (we're learning spanish). The towns bigger than Seneca but not too big. We both love the desert! After five years of vacationing in AZ and NM its time for a change of scenery! Thanks to everyone for the input.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:54 AM

391 posts, read 906,545 times
Honestly, I'm not sure why anyone would pick Deming, particularly if you both need to find employment...but everyone has their own ideas about the best spot for them so I wish you luck there. Let us know about your experiences as a Deming newbie.
CC

Old 08-17-2012, 04:25 AM

Default Jobs

Thanks for the warning about jobs. My wife already has a very promising prospect. She applied for a parttime position with a company in Deming thinking it would at least get her foot in the door. The recruiter offered her a full time managment position! There are jobs out there!

Old 08-17-2012, 07:52 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,793,722 times
Deming..... well, it's better than Lordsburg! And there is an annual duck contest that is held around this time of the year!

Has anyone ever left Deming from the south side from Rt 11, en route to Columbus? I have, it almost feels like you are descending into a demilitarized zone of sorts. A very unnerving feeling. I can imagine Americans leaving Mosul into the desert have felt similar. You begin to enter into that realm where you are technically in the United States, but you almost feel as though you are in a foreign land, and issues of safety, while mostly in tact, is not nearly as assured. This feeling, to me anyways, begins to kick in fully once onto the interstate, or headed north towards Silver City.

And to me, that just about sums up the feeling of being in the environs surrounding Deming.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:49 AM

391 posts, read 906,545 times
I don't think I've ever felt threatened or uneasy about Deming or environs....but it's a dying town IMHO.
Lots of vacant and/or underutilized commercial property and storefronts, businesses closing, some fairly grim housing, it just seems to lose a little more air every time I'm through there. I know a pretty big food processor has closed, but am not sure if the Border foods purchase by a Japanese company has kept the jobs going in that particular business.
They have a great collection of prehistoric pottery at the museum, though !

Old 08-19-2012, 05:58 PM

Just curious, how is AT&T cell service out there? Whats the best cell company in the area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico