Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 06:48 PM

27 posts, read 129,782 times

Advertisements

Hi Im looking to move to New Mexico and Im looking for a small quiet town and I was wondering if any one could give me some information on some more up north new mexico with cold weather and one where the crime and drug use is very little or if any one knows a site or something where I can get that kind of information of the crime and drug use level in small cities. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2006, 07:20 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,290,269 times
Los Alamos would be your best bet. Raton is another option but it seems run down since they shut down york canyon. Taos, Angel fire and eagles nest are worth looking into also.

Old 09-22-2006, 10:35 PM

827 posts, read 5,080,275 times
I agree with _yb, Eagle Nest and Angel Fire are good choices - small towns with cold weather and not much crime. Angel Fire is fairly expensive but not like Santa Fe. Both don't have many jobs but if you aren't looking for a job, then they are good choices. Another possibility is Cimarron. City-data.com will usually list crime stats on places but very small towns often aren't listed. The towns mentioned have low crime, quiet and very small. Angel Fire will be the coldest and there will be skiers in the winter there. Eagle Nest would probably be the first town I'd check into if it was me and I wanted a small quiet town with cold weather. Los Alamos will be bigger. The only thing that really concerns me personally is the nuclear stuff there and it is in a fire zone and almost burned up a few years back so if you move there, buy a place with a fire break around it and know about the nuclear material there. Otherwise, Los Alamos is a nice town too.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:14 PM

Thanks for the information!! Any other imput would be greatly appreciated!! Thaks again!

Old 12-26-2006, 08:35 AM

anyother info about northern cities in nm???

Old 12-26-2006, 08:55 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,790 posts, read 4,155,161 times
Default Hi

Is cold weather, and crime/drug use your only criteria? Do housing costs matter? Some of the towns mentioned so far are expensive. I think even Raton is fairly expensive considering the limited economy. Grants is cheaper but higher crime I think. Unless you can afford overpriced housing, a low crime town in northern NM might be hard to find.

Old 12-27-2006, 06:07 PM

Yeah price is actually another big factor......something less expensive is what were looking for.....thank u for reminding me to put that

Old 01-21-2007, 10:50 PM

642 posts, read 2,552,848 times
Cimarron, Angel Fire and Eagle Nest. Are the housing prices similar for these towns? They are a drive from Taos & I was thinking about them a year or so ago. Are there big differences between the towns and what aout Taos?
Thank you so much everyone!

Old 01-21-2007, 11:14 PM

476 posts, read 2,319,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltoncity View Post
Cimarron, Angel Fire and Eagle Nest. Are the housing prices similar for these towns? They are a drive from Taos & I was thinking about them a year or so ago. Are there big differences between the towns and what aout Taos?
Thank you so much everyone!
Coltoncity, Cimarron, Angel Fire and Eagle Nest are beautiful towns but know they are incredibly cold and often get lots of snow up there. Angel Fire is mostly a "second home or condo" kind of place, great for skiing, hard to make a living in all three. A few make it in Cimarron with art skills, Eagle Nest probably the more practical and reasonable place to live but VERY few jobs. If you are retiring, then probably fine but just know that. Taos, you need money and quite a lot of it to live there.

Old 01-21-2007, 11:39 PM

368 posts, read 1,330,086 times
Default Los Alamos

Los Alamos has the most millionaires per capita than any where else in the U.S., its also one of the most expensive places to live in New.Mex. and also it is ranked the #1 safest city in New Mex.I heard that some of the Northern towns are bad.Espanola holds the drug overdose capitol of the world title.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico