Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 12:09 AM

642 posts, read 2,554,573 times

Advertisements

I was told north of Taos is very bad crime wise by a realtor. Questa & up. On this forum I hear a lot about Raton ... I thought that was North of Taos. It sounds like a good place to look into. Not far from Taos, and there is a private school I would put my daughter in there so I want to be close to it. Is it an area that has some green? What is the crime like? Im not as worried about making it money wise after getting moved as I am finding an initial place that is not to expensive.
Thanks everyone!
(You have been so helpful I_luvnm, thank you very much!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2007, 09:39 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,416,096 times
Have you looked into Clayton? Crime isnt a big deal here, i know there is drugs here like every other town, but we dont seem to have the amount of break ins and muggings you associate with drugs.

Houses are very cheap here too. I just got a 1380sft house for under $45k

Old 01-22-2007, 11:03 PM

476 posts, read 2,319,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltoncity View Post
I was told north of Taos is very bad crime wise by a realtor. Questa & up. On this forum I hear a lot about Raton ... I thought that was North of Taos. It sounds like a good place to look into. Not far from Taos, and there is a private school I would put my daughter in there so I want to be close to it. Is it an area that has some green? What is the crime like? Im not as worried about making it money wise after getting moved as I am finding an initial place that is not to expensive.
Thanks everyone!
(You have been so helpful I_luvnm, thank you very much!)
Sure Coltoncity, you are welcome. I used to go up through Raton to Denver years ago. It is a nice small town. Kinda isolated. not many jobs. It has a mix of desert and pines. Some areas greener and some more desert. It would probably be a cheap place to live if you could find a job. It will have more snow than most of New Mexico but not as much as up at Angel Fire, Red River, etc. I would think the crime wouldnt be high. I dont know what kids do there. Doesnt seem like a lot to do but I havent been through there in a few years so it may have changed since then.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:15 PM

27 posts, read 129,829 times
hows Clayton for jobs?

Old 01-23-2007, 03:19 PM

Getting better. We have alot of construction jobs available, and alot more to come. Were building a prison which will have 209 new jobs, and were building new houses to facilitate the influx of new people coming here. The new houses are for City Employees, Prison Employees and Hospital employees etc. This is to keep the price of already available houses down, and its working!

They expect more jobs to open up indirectly, in shops etc. Ive had a few calls about people wanting to set up new business's in town, which for confidentiality reasons i cannot disclose. I will let everybody know as soon as i can though.

Old 01-23-2007, 09:42 PM

Among the many cities Im considering is towards & in Las Vegas NM. How many hours is it to Clayton? I think Clayton is off the main road and next to Oklahoma?

Old 01-23-2007, 10:41 PM

Ummm just read 'Panicked in Las Vegas' post ... OOOO that real estate lady in Santa Fe LIIIIIED to Me.
I was told Rowe was affordable and nice. Hmmmmmmmm. I am surprised how expenisive Los Alamos is ... White Rock expensive to.

You know where I hear only good about is El Rito. Not the one north of Taos but the one near Ojo Caliente ... just NW of it.

Old 01-24-2007, 07:41 AM

27 posts, read 129,829 times
Hi Brian, I was wondering b/c i did get my package in the mail a lil over a month ago and I am very intersted in Clayton are there any houses for rent or apartments Im more intersted in a house though just a small little one and what are the prices like for renting...Thanks so much

Old 01-24-2007, 09:26 AM

Las vegas is about 2 hours from Clayton, so not so bad.
Im glad you got that package i sent.
There are some people renting houses as well as selling. Big Country Realty and Cattle Town Realty have both got websites, linked from my site (i cant post the URL here). Ive seen rent as low as $200 per month here. My friend did pay $300 with utilities included too.

Old 01-25-2007, 03:15 AM

I know the prison in Winslow had a wonderful package for starting workers after training, for C.O. positions.
This prison will be built soon eh? I would love to see what they have to offer for entry level position. I am curious what level prison it is and if it is mae and female pop.
Would I just go to the local gov. for a website to it or is it to early yet?
I realize you may not know any of this yet but I wanted to ask just in case. I hope you dont mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico