Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 12:24 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,228,909 times

Advertisements

if you are doing the I-40 route you probably will not be able to even consider someplace like Las Crucas or the Carlsbad Caverns. I would consentrate on the Albuquerque area like mentioned and visit Old Town. and if time permits you will want to head up to Sante Fe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 05:28 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,212,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
if you are doing the I-40 route you probably will not be able to even consider someplace like Las Crucas or the Carlsbad Caverns.
Ummm....the OP wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieGuy View Post
It looks like our route brings us in on I-10, north on I-25 then east on I-40.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:39 PM

391 posts, read 910,253 times
Stop at Bosque del Apache, a lush bird sanctuary just off 25 between Las Cruces and Albuquerque. Might depend a bit on when you're coming thru, and what birds are there at that time. Winter is spectacular, with many thousands of Snow geese, on and on. Eat green chile cheeseburgers in nearby San Antonio..there are two famous places there for GCCBs.
In late Fall there is a crane festival, but there are tons of birds there all the time. It's a bit like finding the Everglades (minus 'gators) in the middle of the desert.
Southwest Region Fish and Wildlife Service

If you're coming thru Las Cruces around meal time stop in Old Mesilla, a cool historic town on the outskirts of LC with a number of fine Mexican restaurants and historic plaza.
You'll see signs on I 40. www.oldmesilla.org

Old 05-06-2012, 01:22 PM

475 posts, read 1,270,783 times
Seriously think about spending more time on the trip. TThat route was designed to go fast across the state while also passing through cities.

Not many years ago, Tucumcari was a living museum of Route 66. Something -- maybe the recession killed if dead. And nobody has buried the body. No one on the streets, the great old signs fallen apart -- it's depressing. Last time I went through Santa Rosa was much better. Great little restaurant in an old bank -- but avoid the hotel down the street.

Slow down and live and live it up.

Last edited by Santa Fe; 05-06-2012 at 01:38 PM..

Old 05-07-2012, 06:44 PM

390 posts, read 955,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicrowbar View Post
Stop at Bosque del Apache, a lush bird sanctuary just off 25 between Las Cruces and Albuquerque. Might depend a bit on when you're coming thru, and what birds are there at that time. Winter is spectacular, with many thousands of Snow geese, on and on. Eat green chile cheeseburgers in nearby San Antonio..there are two famous places there for GCCBs.
In late Fall there is a crane festival, but there are tons of birds there all the time. It's a bit like finding the Everglades (minus 'gators) in the middle of the desert.
Southwest Region Fish and Wildlife Service

If you're coming thru Las Cruces around meal time stop in Old Mesilla, a cool historic town on the outskirts of LC with a number of fine Mexican restaurants and historic plaza.
You'll see signs on I 40. www.oldmesilla.org
I would agree. Las Cruces is a very nice town and Old Mesilla is more interesting than Old Town and easier to drive to. I think you might look for signs off !-25 not !-40.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:09 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,219,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caydriver View Post
I would agree. Las Cruces is a very nice town and Old Mesilla is more interesting than Old Town and easier to drive to. I think you might look for signs off !-25 not !-40.
Given that almost any driver with a clock will take the bypass from Deming to Hatch to save 42 minutes, LC and its environs are not going to be easier to drive to than 5 minutes off the Central Ave. exit on I-25.

And you'd probably be looking for signs off I-10 to get to La Mesilla from points west.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:47 AM

390 posts, read 955,199 times
Zoid, I was referring to his last paragraph. I have lived in New Mexico almost 50 years and know both areas. Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico